snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The positional changes or side of the field swaps from how they lined up last year was a bit of a surprise. A bit early to assess it but it did look promising.

Playing for Tonga last year Kata was on the right and he seemed to pass a bit more. This lead to a few jokes that he's been playing on the wrong side all of this time. A bit early to judge things at this stage.

The most likely reason I'd assume would be with Keighran being the most likely partner for Green and with him being a left footer and maybe more comfortable on the left they have moved the two experienced guys to work with him.

We were always going to have to change things up with Johnson leaving. Also with McFadden leaving the coaching staff. So things would need to have been changed up.

It does mean the opposition will have to do a bit more homework on us.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The Tigers weren't great getting out of their own end. So we got some good field position. Hopefully that was more out go forward.

Their attack was pretty average.

Defensively they made us work for our points and didn't capitulate.

Murraytd

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 5, 2014
Brisbane
Looked good, controlled the game with defence, off loads, "eyes up footy"

Feel a lot better after watching what we can achieve with new combinations in key positions. Boys look bigger, but certainly not sluggish, the 2nd year under Corvo looks like the goods. We can still own a game with presence, strength, stamina, and most importantly limited errors.

Thought AK did enough to partner Green to start the season. Thought Hiku played really well, as did Ah Mau. We have a big mobile pack, real BIG with BIG ability. No doubt our forwards will have to take control, and will. The backs will make the most of the go forward.

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Gavet looked large for Newcastle, probably needed a change.

Ah Mau really holds his own out there as you would expect from our top Prop.

Paasi is so good at offloading. Ken's a big prop for us playing wing, he looks humungous.

Afoa is a genuine impact prop, it feels like we need one more.....just one to perfect that pack off the bench.

Real shame Sataes not up to it yet.

Still If Bully and Roache deliver that pack Kearneys assembled is getting up there for power.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
I really hope Blake Ashyford excels in the forwards, fuckin likeable guy.

Besides from being extremely likable (and having hair that puts Richie McCaw to shame), it's pretty commendable to have someone recognise their position at centre is going to be tough to crack, and be willing to adjust their game/position in order to crack first grade. Shows determination and character.

what a dude.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I know it's only trial but NZ Warriors looked threatening all game. We're going be dangerous this year . . .
I cannot help comparing our trial games with that effort against St George in Nelson a few years back. This is a different club, and after the first few minutes of the Charity Shield so is St George.

Ken Maumolo is looking dynamic. SK obviously knew what he was talking about with Ken getting the ball, but I didn't see it as swapping centres.

I didn't see any weakness in that team except inexperience from Chanel Harris-Tavita, and lack of speed from ****. In that early run to the line both Shaun Johnson and Lino would have scored, and of course Chanel Harris-Tavita and Perham.

That was a very good and experienced Tigers team. The only time the defence slackened off was late in the game with the positions changing so no worries there.

I think Chanel Harris-Tavita and Perham have more spark than Keighran and can see them being rotated a bit.

I am wrapped to see Blake Ayshford getting a run as a utility. The guy is a genuine professional club man and it seems SK is picking players on ticker as well as ability.

I don't know what SK is going to do when Bully comes back because he has two first class hookers plus Lawton and Jazz as backup. Nice problem to have.

I hope Mr. Brownstone has put his Jonestown Cool Aid away.;)

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Very please when the topside was out there that they held up in defence well.

Gotta figure that the main reason Warriors coaches don't experiment with shifting centers from one edge to another is that their defensive adaptability has been none existent.

It takes a season usually to see a good solid pairing form on a Warriors edge, quite often it never happens.

Kata and Ken were fused together for that reason. At least now SK has options.

A lot of us wanted to see Kata on his better passing side of the field before giving up on him.

Kata and Fusitua potentially form a lethal combo, with Kata always needing a pair of tacklers to mind him.

Shame Milne has been injured, it will be pretty hard for him to get a run now, like Beale last year, miss the preseason and you gotta wait for injury.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
Ok, just managed to rewatch the game, since the little lord of the house needed me pretend to be a PJ mask when the game was on.

1st half was the first grade team, 3rd quarter was our 1st grade team with injuries, and the 4th quarter was the "injury toll has destroyed our season, fuck me make it STOP".

Blake Green controlled the game as expected, well and professional. For people that think his signing was bogus, get lost, provided his body is fit, I see him as a player that has enough of a footy brain to really support a team for a couple more years at least .... although that won't be needed.

Of the two halves, each offers something completely different. In fact, I genuinely think in a different time/place, Chanel Harris-Tavita/Keighran and Perham would make a great halves and fullback combination. It's unlikely the stars will align to make that happen at the Warriors, but I guess you never know. Chanel Harris-Tavita is out and out a straight swap for a young Shaun Johnson, but I don't think he is ready. I think the current structure at the club is exactly what he needs to improve over the next year before he is ready. So obviously that means I think Adam Keighran should be picked for round 1.

Keighran showed enough composure and kicking ability to suggest he can handle the job, plus he will only get better every game. He has a surprising amount of strength to him, and he seems to know how to feed the team appropriately, as all good halves should.

Which leads me to my next point. People have wondered what we would do without Shaun Johnson.. the answer is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. It's no surprise people had suggested in the last few months that maybe Roger Tuivasa-Sheck could be trialed at 5/8 - not an idea I'm a fan of, but ultimately in attack it serves the same purpose. The man has beautiful hands and a great sense of timing. The plays and passes he was throwing was the stuff Shaun Johnson would have been doing last year. Between him popping up either side of the field, Tohu Harris doing his thing, Hiku with the silky hands, Kata learning to pass (thank you baby jesus), I really don't think losing Shaun Johnson is that much of an issue. As a team, it will be covered.

Which is great, because it allows either Keighran or Chanel Harris-Tavita time to adapt to the first grade team and embed their style. You can't judge these guys off two trials. We can see enough of how different they are from one another, but they clearly have a lot of ability and growth left in them, and supported by a good team - that should be fucking exciting.

Also got to say while I'm glad Issac Luke got resigned... damn... Nathanial Roache picked up where he left off. If that guy stays injury free, him and Luke will be carving up this year. Hats off the Lawton too, crisp passing, and you can really see what a first proper pre-season under Corvo has done for him. Real solid bench utility, and if it wasn't for SK's man-love for Tevaga, I'd say he'd be a better all round utility spot on the bench.

Maumalo is really showing us what a beast he can be. Amazing that I used to think he had no place in first grade, now he just provides so much value.

Lachlan Burr was busy the whole time he was on the field. Alwasy involved, seems like he made a million tackles, ran hard. Very impressed.

Too many more things I could rant about, but I need to take a piss, go to bed, then wake up early to play PJ Masks with my son again.. so savour the win boys, trial or not!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings