Post Match Warriors v Raiders - [Round 3, 2024]

Rate the game?

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F----

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be fair if Berry passed would Mullet make it? The facial expression of his suggested so, I am 50/50

Ford needs to work on passing like Ale (similar gap between defender and runner), and finishing tries, he’s running good lines again like this time last year. If he maintains his current game and improve those 2 the left edge with Roger growing is gonna be crazy

Taine kept on doing Israel Dagg like half breaks then chopped down, maybe short legs or lack of power at this level? If Charnz got through like that he’s gone
Berry did the right thing, they were going crossfield Jackson the other hand should have passed. Take opportunities as the come.

He’d do well at the raiders I reckon trailing their strong centres. They had success with CNK and wouldn’t be surprised if they’re having a look with the now fullback Rapana in his final season?
Over the many years of this club, fullback has been a position filled by quick players with some attacking spark, with the hope they learn the defensive side as they go. Piss poor model that but hey our shit history shows that type selection of players has seen us the worst defensive side in the NRL modern era.

Or we import an Aussie.

Rare that we have a young guy that has the defensive game naturally and and is therefore a tactical thinker, so it grieves me somewhat to see people put Taine down for his size or lack of cohesion in our attack, hey....give this guy twenty games in a row then make an informed call after he has had a Rocco Berry platform.

The winger would have stayed out and had time to cover DWZ, i think Berry had as much chance of scoring as DWZ would have if he passed. The low risk play was to go yourself.
I think Savage had the angle on Dallin and Berry knew it.

On the Ford no pass.
When Ford first looked he probably thought Metcalf was too far back and covered and didn’t look again when he ranged up.
The pass was on but great ball from SJ and hole running from Ford nonetheless.

I think Savage had the angle on Dallin and Berry knew it.

On the Ford no pass.
When Ford first looked he probably thought Metcalf was too far back and covered and didn’t look again when he ranged up.
The pass was on but great ball from SJ and hole running from Ford nonetheless.
And it's a split second decision

I also on the Ford line break, from watching the replay, noticed Metcalf was about ten feet to his left. Would have been easier for Ford to pass if Luke had been closer to his hip then Ford could have just pop passed it to him.
10 feet is nothing, its an easy pass every day of the week. Think Ford surprised himself with the gaping hole SJ put him in, looked like by the time Luke had caught up to him Ford had already made the decision to take the tackle after there was no initial support.....probably needed a bit more awareness/composure (and maybe more comms from Metcalf)...either way it was a definite bombed try.

10 feet is nothing, its an easy pass every day of the week. Think Ford surprised himself with the gaping hole SJ put him in, looked like by the time Luke had caught up to him Ford had already made the decision to take the tackle after there was no initial support.....probably needed a bit more awareness/composure (and maybe more comms from Metcalf)...either way it was a definite bombed try.

Yeah, those should be bread and butter tries every day of the week.

I think Savage surprised him a little with how quickly he closed in to tackle. A lot of fullbacks hang off and wait for support to catch up, especially when the ball carrier isn't a threat of running away.

Also i dont think enough has been made of the fantastic shape that right edge threw up when Addin scored.

2 lead runners (Barnett off the ruck, then Capewell running 2nd receiver line) both having the effect of drawing the A and B defenders in, while simultaneously Tauapiki is on the sweep holding the outside defenders who are worried about the extra number he'll create, which then opens the space for Addin and a great selective pass by SJ.

Just such great execution and timing, attack coach hold your head up high for that one.

Had another look and Dallin was all over him after he scored.
Others were running to get around him also.
I thought similar when Ford didn't pass to Metcalf who was clear but I'm not into conspiracies.
I think there are a few egos to mange in the side. Sj gave afb a spray when he died with the ball from Rocco in the first half. Webster just got to keep that relationship together. Metcalf is another alpha who is finding his place. It’s a balance and winning keeps it all gravy. Ford and Rocco make the odd bad decision but they are 80 min players

i straight up thought he played himself out of spot in the trials. what I love about him is that he is such an effort guy. there isn't a lot of skill or x factor to him, but he is a competitor. if you watch closely if he is beaten on a tackle the man is sprinting back to finish the tackle.

on the non-pass to Metcalf for the try. I may be in the minority but if you make a line break and aren't comfortable getting a pass way to your support (like a good pass where they can comfortably catch it) take the tackle if you get tackles up your sleeve. I also wonder if they saw something in the video on Canberra where its better where defenders are easily fooled on a dummy or are always looking to go after support players, hence blokes last night had white line fever.
Ford gives 110% and champion teams are built on effort. He’s loyal, plays 80 minutes and is glue for the team. Cape well doesn’t seem to do too much but his game reading is top shelf. He plays within a team’s structure so am expecting him to improve as the year goes on

I thought it was.the win they needed not because they were 0-2 results wise, but because they got into the grind and didn't panic. It is a long season and that grinding attitude will be vital.

Enough has been spoken about the stars in the tea.. my analogy is the speed of a convoy is set by the slowest ships. Jackson, Berry Lussick, Jazz, Bunty Ale and CHT made big contributions. Good signs.

Also i dont think enough has been made of the fantastic shape that right edge threw up when Addin scored.

2 lead runners (Barnett off the ruck, then Capewell running 2nd receiver line) both having the effect of drawing the A and B defenders in, while simultaneously Tauapiki is on the sweep holding the outside defenders who are worried about the extra number he'll create, which then opens the space for Addin and a great selective pass by SJ.

Just such great execution and timing, attack coach hold your head up high for that one.
Yeah it was as good as the timing Paps finished us off with last week, now we just have to do it a bunch of times in a half and put sides to bed before they even realise they are in a contest.

Nice one bro, how was he when you spoke to him, weirdly interested in this kind of thing
He was nice. Friendly. Possibly a bit surprised. Was with his partner and child. I didn’t hang around, just a quick congrats as I was leaving, didn’t go in for a handshake or anything. Less than 10 seconds. Positive vibes only. I don’t think anyone else nearby knew who he was. I probably wouldn’t approach if it was someone more recognisable.

A few years back (in 2017 from memory), back my son did little kickers (preschool football, indoors) and one day one of the dads turned up, where it was usually attended by a mother. The dad was Ryan Hoffman! I had a chat to him about the warriors. This would have been during a heavy loss period, so I actually felt sorry for him, which is weird to feel sorry for one of your heroes. He kept turning the convo back to parenting. Fair enough. So I look back on some of these interactions and just think - short and sweet. Show some appreciation, a nod or something and get out!

I wouldn’t request a selfie / signature or anything during one of these interactions as I hate annoying people. I just see it as showing the love, but not trying to get proof, if that makes sense

I think that Ed Kosi should be playing for Montoya. Ed is 12 kgs heavier than Montoya and weighs 107kgs - I reckon he would have stopped Timoko's try. And I don't think Ed would have gone for the crazy ass intercept on the 2nd try.
I think we should change the ranking of our wings
Rank 1 Dallin
Rank 2 Kosi
Rank 3 Montoya

Montoya will still get plenty of games but i don't think he should be thought of as being in our best 13 when fit.

Overall though great game to watch. I thought we got very lucky on the E Strange put down try. But had that been the warriors they would not have given it to us so yeah.

In the presser Tohu said we made adjustments to how we played the last ten minutes of the match after the loss to Melbourne, and I could see today those adjustments in place (more pro-active defence).

Great win. This match was never going to be easy. Thought Dallin was a super star out there.
Shout out to Xavier Savage who I thought showed well for them.
Timoko is the best centre in the NRL.
Have u been watching the cup games? Kosi’s been poor I’ll be going with Graham-Taufa

Back