General Warriors To Perform Haka Before Every Nrl Game?

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8374537/Warriors-want-own-club-haka
Warriors co-owner Sir Owen Glenn wants his team to perform a haka before each National Rugby League match.
The multimillionaire philanthropist believes the Auckland club needs to express New Zealand culture.
Sir Owen is creating a haka for the upcoming season that starts this week.
"We are New Zealanders and we're going to bring back a haka for the team and a chant, and we're working on that now with Donna Grant and her husband, Anaru," Sir Owen said.
"This [the Warriors] is a Kiwi brand, let's be proud of it. If we don't win the game, which we will, then let's win the war chant."
Grant, the daughter of late entertainer Sir Howard Morrison, last May became the first woman to be appointed to the Warriors board.
She is executive director of Rotorua's Manaakitanga Aotearoa Charitable Trust, head of performing arts at Te Whare Wananga o Awanuiarangi, and serves on boards including the Glenn Family Foundation, Te Matatini National Kapa Haka and the New Zealand Qualifications Authority Nga Kaituhono Advisory Board.
Sir Owen wants the Warriors to perform the pre-match haka in the same way as the All Blacks. "It is very likely, that's one thing I'd like to have my say on. We are Kiwis, let's be proud of that."
Possible issues surrounding a Warriors haka include the fact not all team members are New Zealanders, and whether it is right for a privately owned club to do the haka.
The merit of Sir Owen's plan was questioned by All Blacks great Wayne "Buck" Shelford, who was credited with putting pride back into the All Blacks' haka in the 1980s.
The sight of the Warriors performing the challenge before every NRL match "would be pretty wearying . . . it's not a national side, it's only a club side," he said. "To have it domestically in a [club] competition would be pretty tiring."
The fact that half of the NRL team that would perform it were in fact Australian was another concern, he said.

Danpatmac

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8374537/Warriors-want-own-club-haka
Warriors co-owner Sir Owen Glenn wants his team to perform a haka before each National Rugby League match.
The multimillionaire philanthropist believes the Auckland club needs to express New Zealand culture.
Sir Owen is creating a haka for the upcoming season that starts this week.
"We are New Zealanders and we're going to bring back a haka for the team and a chant, and we're working on that now with Donna Grant and her husband, Anaru," Sir Owen said.
"This [the Warriors] is a Kiwi brand, let's be proud of it. If we don't win the game, which we will, then let's win the war chant."
Grant, the daughter of late entertainer Sir Howard Morrison, last May became the first woman to be appointed to the Warriors board.
She is executive director of Rotorua's Manaakitanga Aotearoa Charitable Trust, head of performing arts at Te Whare Wananga o Awanuiarangi, and serves on boards including the Glenn Family Foundation, Te Matatini National Kapa Haka and the New Zealand Qualifications Authority Nga Kaituhono Advisory Board.
Sir Owen wants the Warriors to perform the pre-match haka in the same way as the All Blacks. "It is very likely, that's one thing I'd like to have my say on. We are Kiwis, let's be proud of that."
Possible issues surrounding a Warriors haka include the fact not all team members are New Zealanders, and whether it is right for a privately owned club to do the haka.
The merit of Sir Owen's plan was questioned by All Blacks great Wayne "Buck" Shelford, who was credited with putting pride back into the All Blacks' haka in the 1980s.
The sight of the Warriors performing the challenge before every NRL match "would be pretty wearying . . . it's not a national side, it's only a club side," he said. "To have it domestically in a [club] competition would be pretty tiring."
The fact that half of the NRL team that would perform it were in fact Australian was another concern, he said.

Beat me to it.

In short.... HELL NO.

Reactions: David James

PolarBob

Apr 8, 2012
If that happens then the entry of another NZ-based team can't come soon enough.

Danpatmac

This is becoming a bit of a thorn in my side... the whole 'NZ' aspect to the warriors, they are a privately owned club, not a national team. The heritage jerseys being around NZ/Maori heritage as opposed to Rugby League heritage/tradition, the black jerseys/NZ name (which in my opinion should be only for the national team). It's just not right in my eyes.

Apus

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 6, 2012
Fuck no. This is a terrible idea. The Warriors aren't the national side, what business do they have performing the Haka _every_ week? What are the Aussies in the side gonna do? What about the Kiwis in the opposing sides who have to stare it down (lol Tamou)?

It may be Glenn coming out and saying it, but this sounds to me like one of those Elliot ideas for a pre game psych up. I'm surprised he isn't having them pair up in the changing room and doing the Haka to each other.

MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Orcland
I imagine the NRL will knock this 'concept' on the head pretty quickly.

The novelty would wear off fast and it would become more of a joke than anything culturally significant. What's to stop opposition teams from busting out gagnam style in response anyway if they feel so inclined?

And to point out the obvious, the team isn't all made up of NZers.

Zarjaz

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
Awful idea. I love the Haka when it's done right and by the rep teams in rep games… has a 'real' passion about it… an NRL version would be half arsed and like Buck says… it would just get 'wearying' for everyone concerned. Please let them focus on the footy.
I'm guessing we now know where the ideas for the themed jerseys came from then.

Reactions: Est95

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
I have to say, I'm not TOTALLY against it. But perhaps only for significant home games. I have no issue with Aussies doing it. We had Nathan Fien and Brent Webb doing it for the Kiwis. I think that Owen has the right idea in trying to link the country to the team. They have used the name for many years now and its about time they tried to connect with the other 50% of the country. It is something that will die a pretty quick death, and I don't really care if it does, but the concept is OK.

For those that keep pulling out the "shouldn't be called the New Zealand warriors because it is not a national team", the same issue should be seen with the Breakers. I have no problem with a team wearing the "New Zealand" name, but they should be prepared to take the brand to the entire country.

I can't see a new Haka being as impressive as our traditional one, either. But I don't believe a franchise should be doing "Kamate".

There was an American Football team a few years back who had linked themselves with the Warriors, called themselves the Warriors and used our logo (or something similar). They chose to do a Haka before every match, even though the competition they played in had problems with it. They took a 7 point penalty at the start of every game they began with a Haka.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
If this came into being I can imagine the NRL demanding the Aussie national anthem be played for the Aussie teams after the haka.

Im so sick of the haka, it was great in the 80s when youd see it maybe 4 times a year at most but now its 10+ times a year for the all blacks, 3 or 4 for the kiwis, infinite for olympic years, its lost its impact. Add 20 times for the warriors and I just want to vomit.

Reactions: Est95

g.man

Warriors Bench Player
Feb 19, 2013
HELL YEAH!!!!! . Lets re-create the whole 1995 opening game extravaganza ,we just need to add some pole dancing cheerleaders ,some wrestling midgets and the red bull motocross guys doing backflips over the whole lot . This may even tempt Stacey Jones out of retirement to fill our halfback worries.

Danpatmac

I have to say, I'm not TOTALLY against it. But perhaps only for significant home games. I have no issue with Aussies doing it. We had Nathan Fien and Brent Webb doing it for the Kiwis. I think that Owen has the right idea in trying to link the country to the team. They have used the name for many years now and its about time they tried to connect with the other 50% of the country. It is something that will die a pretty quick death, and I don't really care if it does, but the concept is OK.

For those that keep pulling out the "shouldn't be called the New Zealand warriors because it is not a national team", the same issue should be seen with the Breakers. I have no problem with a team wearing the "New Zealand" name, but they should be prepared to take the brand to the entire country.

I can't see a new Haka being as impressive as our traditional one, either. But I don't believe a franchise should be doing "Kamate".

There was an American Football team a few years back who had linked themselves with the Warriors, called themselves the Warriors and used our logo (or something similar). They chose to do a Haka before every match, even though the competition they played in had problems with it. They took a 7 point penalty at the start of every game they began with a Haka.

Yip.

If you ain't a national rep team then you ain't NZ

Reactions: wallacenz

shuffle

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
No. Please dont make this happen. I want the Warriors focused on winning games not what comes after 'ka mate'! Stupid idea. If they start doing I hope there's another NZ team in the NRL soon so I can cheer for them!

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Really dumb.

I like a good haka, but I think the ABs already over do it.

Plus, why would aussies want to do a NZ Maori Haka?

I thought Owen Glenn came here to help bolster the game nationally, to help the Warriors become the best NRL club, not here to flop out his massive ego.

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans CBUS Super Stadium

Last Game

04 Jul

26 - 16
6.7 Total Avg Rating
7.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 30 ratings