NRL Grand Final Discussion - Penrith vs Broncos

Turning point for me was Luai exiting the game

Cogger straightened them up alot when he came on

Penrith were very side to side before that.

Penrith were way too clunky with ball in hand for 60mins for this to be considered the greatest game of all time.

Greatest comeback in a GF though makes it a classic
yeah, that was noticiable - cogger wasn't just playing a role either, he was genuinely good - pretty funny seeing Luai interviewed post-match, just couldn't do his usual schtick however much it was asked of him - the guy has some deference, amazing

Not going to lie, was a bit jealous watching this game. We are clearly not in either team's league. I'm not sure how we get to this level. RTS surely gives our attack a bit more variety but that physicality in the middle from either team is something we can't match as of right now. We are probably better than the rest but we have to find a way to bridge the gap against these two during the offseason.

Imagine with 20 to go, if the Broncs had scored a try from a massive forward pass and the game goes beyond Penrith’s reach. The Bronco fans would have been saying the game was over anyway and it had no impact on the result. 😂
That's one to tag Nashy in on

Not going to lie, was a bit jealous watching this game. We are clearly not in either team's league. I'm not sure how we get to this level. RTS surely gives our attack a bit more variety but that physicality in the middle from either team is something we can't match as of right now. We are probably better than the rest but we have to find a way to bridge the gap against these two during the offseason.

Really think we have to play the long game.

Penrith are in what year 13? Since Gus Gould was appointed GM with a pathways remit.

Broncos too (except Reynolds & Capewell) pretty much all through development.

I really don't see us recruiting what is needed (Rep level middles), we need to find it in our pathways.

yeah, that was noticiable - cogger wasn't just playing a role either, he was genuinely good - pretty funny seeing Luai interviewed post-match, just couldn't do his usual schtick however much it was asked of him - the guy has some deference, amazing

Great signing for Newcastle. Looks just the type of halfback you want to recruit when you already have heaps of other pieces.

I've been messaging the few Broncos fan's I know these...

IMG_5461.jpeg

Oof, I feel like that cuts just as deep for us as it does the Broncos, maybe even more lol
Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 9.12.34 AM.png

Walsh has been great for them this year. A lot better than he was with us last year where his mistakes were putting his team mates under pressure and the commentators would brush it off and say how the Warriors need to get the ball to him.

The way it worked out for both clubs as CNK provides us with the dependable player we need and they get the game breaker. Walsh can play off their forward pack and Reynolds getting them into position.

He looked pretty tentative early, didn't want to throw his cut out passes and would just move it on. Giving an intercept in a grand final I can understand wanting to avoid. He started to get into it with a few good runs, had the assist in one of Mann's tries.

Like Slater pointed out there is still occasions he gets caught out. Those will come with experience.

A lot was made how he makes mistakes and shrugs them off and moves on like the DWZ intercept. The last set with the risky offload was too late in the game to brush it off. Really needed someone offloading to him, not him offloading.
You’re doing what the commentators do and brushing off several major issues all because of his blistering speed.

Even his outside passing is fucking suspect with 1/3 being intercepted, and another 1/3 going over the sideline.

1. He has no heart.
2. He’s lazy
3. Avoids doing the tough stuff
4. Blames others for his mistakes
5. Curses others when they make mistakes

You’re doing what the commentators do and brushing off several major issues all because of his blistering speed.

Even his outside passing is fucking suspect with 1/3 being intercepted, and another 1/3 going over the sideline.

1. He has no heart.
2. He’s lazy
Was just recently some news that broncos had started negotiating with Walsh and Mam to stop them getting to market and offered a $5 mil package for both, was speculated at $1mil per for Walsh and somewhere between $650-$700k for Mam. With Mam showing what he did in the final and the amount of teams looking for halves, Mam’s value could have risen considerably.

Was just recently some news that broncos had started negotiating with Walsh and Mam to stop them getting to market and offered a $5 mil package for both, was speculated at $1mil per for Walsh and somewhere between $650-$700k for Mam. With Mam showing what he did in the final and the amount of teams looking for halves, Mam’s value could have risen considerably.
Mam is a bit quiet, but he's a young half behind Reynolds. He is definitely worth persisting with as the lack of halves on the market has been noted. If I was Kevvie I would let Reece walk.

Such a crazy result - If the Broncos had have held on Mam's performance would've been an all time Grand Final performances - as it is now, it will always be remembered as the Nathan game. I've never seen such a drastic swing in fortunes.

I was snickering about the result last night, now I am feeling real sympathy.

1. He has no heart.
2. He’s lazy
No I'm not. That was a quick overview of his year. The point I made has been consistent since CNK was announced to be returning and Walsh leaving for the Broncos. His mistakes were too costly for us and CNK being more dependable would suit us better. He also looked like he was worked out by the opposition.

I've also brought up in the past how in big games especially I like fullbacks that run the ball back directly to get more metres. When we replaced Tomkins with RTS we got someone that did that. Walsh is similar to Tomkins a smaller body that dumps it off to his winger as often as possible.

He has definitely gone better at the Broncos.

The point I made at the end was that he took a risk to win the game which wasn't on and he should have taken the tackle. There wasn't time to brush it off like the commentators said during the week as there was about 1 minute to go. My thoughts at the time was similar to the famous cricket sledge that he dropped the World Cup. Walsh pretty much dropped/threw away the game.

Slater pointing out he missed his assignment would be inexperience for some instances, laziness or gassed in others.

I also said before our preliminary final we should be moving our kicking from the corner in field to target Walsh as he is suspect under the high ball.

I have in the past been critical of his defence as it is just get his body close as team mates come in.

Not all of those points were needed in the main point I was posting.

Such a crazy result - If the Broncos had have held on Mam's performance would've been an all time Grand Final performances - as it is now, it will always be remembered as the Nathan game. I've never seen such a drastic swing in fortunes.

Might sound petty but the broncos as a club annoyed the shit out of me last week when the crowd started the hey baby-hoo haa chant late in the game after it did the rounds in our home grounds. Thought it was nothing more than mockery. People don’t like the panthers as winners but the broncos are going to be far harder to stomach when they win one I reckon.

Pretty crazy to score 3 tries in a Grand Final and not get the man of the match.

They have given it to someone in the losing side in the past. This would time would have been more justified than the others. They used to name it during the game and recall there may have been one were the score changed (winning team changed) after it was announced.

Can see the other side though as Cleary organised the biggest Grand Final come back in history.

That last try likely sealed it Cleary scores it the Panthers win, gets man of the match. If the Broncos defended it and held on to win Mam gets the man of the match.

Jeez Broncos threw that one away. How do you lose a GF after being up 16 points with 20 mins to go? Cleary was outstanding in the last 20 mins while a lot of the Broncos just seemed to clock off. That last try Cleary scored both Carrigan and Walsh were there to close the hole but didn't.

Imagine with 20 to go, if the Broncs had scored a try from a massive forward pass and the game goes beyond Penrith’s reach. The Bronco fans would have been saying the game was over anyway and it had no impact on the result. 😂
Loved this observation Panther, and not just 12 points behind at the time. The parallels are crazy. You just don't know.
Thought Adam Gee had a really good game too.

Very pleased for Andrew Webster. Adds so much credence to his coaching methodology he is implementing. We just need to find/develop the troops over the next year or two. Roll on 2024.

Back