General Warriors Stats 2018

I like Tevaga. Just saying if we could get more go forward with a Vete or Satae.

We might but they are less dimensional than Jazz who covers lock and hooker and at a stretch somewhere in the backline if desperate

I like Vete and Satae but if we look at our meters so far the stats and stories in the news say our back 5 are taking the 1st 3 hitups usually and we are getting good go forward.

The test imo will be to play against a team as committed if not more than us.

Reactions: Defence
The other thing the Dragons do against us is offload.
The team stats section on the foxsports website has a section for offloads conceded for the season: the Sharks and Tigers have the least number of offloads made against them with 28 while we’re next with 29.

Another interesting stats is that, after playing so conservativily last year, this year we are leading the offloads with 71 with and the Dragons are in fourth with 44.

I remember Cclin Meads saying 90 per cent of Rugby is fitness. That is where the stats and belief comes from.

What hasnt been mentioned is with the fitness comes better cumuulative speed of foot and thought making the team faster over the park but especially the forwards.

The bench can afford to carry a smaller faster guy like Jazz as he increases the speed.

The only thing on a Rugby field there is no answer to is speed. The Warriors forwards are mirroring the ABs forwards in this regard.

Strong defensive teams should have higher back five run meters. We are trapping teams in their own half so they have to boot further down field. Giving the kick returners an extra 10m or so every kick return. I’m not saying it’s the main reason but our backs are able to run so far is actually a sign our forwards are doing their job.

Strong defensive teams should have higher back five run meters. We are trapping teams in their own half so they have to boot further down field. Giving the kick returners an extra 10m or so every kick return. I’m not saying it’s the main reason but our backs are able to run so far is actually a sign our forwards are doing their job.
It maybe that I have rose coloured glasses on but it seems to me that, unlike last year when our outside backs were also doing hit ups two and three, that this season, the improved fitness from our forwards means they’re getting back quicker and getting involved in the hit ups earlier.

Reactions: Inruin and Sup42
If you Watch Tevanga he is the quickest to his feet in the team, He springs up with his small frame and has a rapid PTB Isaac Luke has been profiting.

Tevanga runs, Luke takes a dummy half run, they are tag teaming in the fashion Kearney used TL and Luke....Jazz is faster to his feet.

One powerful little man. Luke keeps catching defenders out of position after Jazz Runs.

NRL 360 last night had a good stat on the Warriors. Warriors fewest points conceded after 5 rounds.

2018 = 65
1996 = 82
2007 = 89
1997 = 92
1999 = 93

I know besides 2007 the other years weren't good ones and it doesn't list the points scored at the same time. But 65 is a lot better than our previous best of 82.

Soward's Power Rankings: Warriors reach top spot
Author
Jamie Soward
Timestamp
Mon 9 Apr 2018, 06:28 PM

It's the year of the underdog in the 2018 Telstra Premiership - or so it would seem. While 2017 grand final opponents Melbourne and North Queensland are struggling, the Warriors, Tigers, Knights and Titans all boast winning records after five rounds. Check out NRL.com expert Jamie Soward's views on all 16 teams in this week's Power Rankings.

1. New Zealand Warriors (last week: 2)

No-one expected them to be here, but they're going out and doing everything that's asked of them. Blake Green is the buy of the year, along with James Maloney. He really brings a calmness and steadiness and they're really working for each other. For the first time in five or six years they seem to have found a real nice balance between running hard and getting into a grind, and then playing that Globetrotter footy. The Warriors deserve their first week at No.1 in the Power Rankings.

2. St George Illawarra Dragons (1)

The Dragons drop down after a couple of weeks at No.1. I would've liked to see them go on and do a job in front of a big home crowd against Souths. Their attack is so exciting to watch and there's that expectation there, and this is the challenge for the top teams - their expectations meeting reality. They want to make the top four and now they're expected to after such a great start to the year. The Dragons were good on the weekend and Paul McGregor would've liked that match-up being so tight.

3. Wests Tigers (3)

Talk about being on the bus, talk about effort, talk about trust - this team is just all in when you look at what they're doing for each other, and how they've bought into the message Ivan Cleary is bringing. I can't wrap this team enough. If the two teams above them weren't undefeated I'd have the Tigers on top of the Power Rankings.

marsterse-celeb-sw-180407098.jpg

Tigers centre Esan Marsters.©Shane Wenzlick/NRL Photos
4. Penrith Panthers (5)

They only move up one spot. I thought the game against Parramatta was an opportunity to back up their massive road win against the Cowboys with a really efficient performance and come away with 16 to 20 points. I know it was against a desperate Parramatta side but it was a little bit stuttery, which was probably off the back of a long trip to North Queensland. They've started out with a 4-1 record so they're well placed at this stage of the season.

5. Sydney Roosters (6)

The Roosters still have some stuff to work on. Their attack was predictable at times but you still have to be able to stop it and they get it right more often than not. James Tedesco found some gaps, Luke Keary was outstanding and Cooper Cronk continues to show he's the best halfback in the game.

6. Melbourne Storm (4)

I'm giving the Storm one last week. Their attack doesn't look fluent at the moment. They're scratchy and clunky when they shift the ball. They're making some uncharacteristic errors. You don't often see what Josh Addo-Carr did last week in any game, let alone by a Melbourne player. I'm backing that they bunker down and bounce back against Newcastle. It'll be a tough game but they very rarely lose at home and almost never lose three in a row.

hoffman-r-180407002-ssw.jpg

Storm forward Ryan Hoffman.©Shane Wenzlick/NRL Photos
7. Newcastle Knights (10)

Kalyn Ponga put points on for them but I was more impressed with the way they hung in there defensively. They had the right to go on and win that game by 20 but sometimes it doesn't happen like that. They really held on and defended for each other when it got tight and came up with an important result at home.

8. Gold Coast Titans (11)

An outstanding win against Manly. They're won three out of five and they're really playing for each other. Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey have a nice combination developing. Kane Elgey has been a revelation the last two weeks and Titans fans will be wondering where this has been. Jai Arrow is a future Origin player.

9. South Sydney Rabbitohs (9)

The Rabbitohs keep hold of ninth spot in the Power Rankings based on their effort at a tough place to win like Kogarah, against a team that's playing very well. The first 60 minutes wasn't great but they hung in there and showed they can score some points when they play a bit more ad-lib. I think some second-phase footy is going to help the Rabbitohs, especially guys like Cody Walker and Greg Inglis.

10. North Queensland Cowboys (7)

The Cowboys have dropped out of the upper echelon of the Power Rankings for the first time. They don't look cohesive, they don't look excited. They look like they're playing with a lot of stress. The expectation that comes with adding Johnathan Thurston to last year's grand final team could be weighing down on them, but they just don't look like a happy team at the moment.

11. Cronulla Sharks (8)

The Sharks were disappointing against the Roosters. The Matt Moylan fullback experiment was great and I hope they stick with that. There's another piece to add to the puzzle with Josh Dugan coming back this week, but they're obviously still working some things out, even after six weeks of the competition.

12. Canberra Raiders (15)

This was the 2016 Raiders, the one we all thought was headed for big things. They were outstanding. They really competed hard and copped a lot of injuries, and it was just the sort of gutsy effort they needed. I think Aidan Sezer finally realised it's his team.

sezera-180331nh43.jpg

Raiders five-eighth Aidan Sezer.©Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
13. Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (12)

The Sea Eagles can't win away from home so I can't put them up there in the Power Rankings. They showed some signs in Gladstone but they didn't want it as much as the Titans. They really got out-enthused in some areas by a really energetic Titans side.

14. Brisbane Broncos (13)

I cannot get a read on the Broncos. They're a real Jekyll and Hyde team. They had five repeat sets in the first half and didn't score any points. Anthony Milford was great but Kodi Nikorima was quiet so they're still having some problems in regards to getting their attack right.

15. Parramatta Eels (16)

I know this will cause some controversy because they haven't won a game yet, but their effort was a lot better on the weekend, and sometimes you'll find in the Power Rankings that effort or how a team plays is going to reflect how they move up or down the rankings.

16. Canterbury Bulldogs (14)

The Bulldogs drop down this week. I saw some really bad signs in terms of their attack going backwards. Their effort probably wasn't there as much as it should've been. They had a lot of ball but they missed some really easy tackles which allowed the Raiders to build.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
NUMBERS GAME: WARRIORS RD 5 STATS
BY TWL on APRIL 10, 2018

FusDoubleCowboys.png

The Warriors’ rugged 22-12 win over the Cowboys on Saturday extended the club’s best-ever start to a season to 5-0. Of the 12 teams in the NRL era that have won their first five games prior to this year, 11 went on to finish in the top four.

It represents the first time the Warriors have won five straight since a mid-season burst in 2013. This weekend they are aiming for six straight for just the third time in the club’s history, and the first since a record eight-game streak in 2002.

The Warriors are ranked third in the NRL defensively, conceding just 65 points at 13 per game. That tally is the least conceded by the club across the first five rounds in their history. The Warriors also have the third-best attacking record in the competition, scoring points at a shade under 25 per game.

Meanwhile, the last time the Warriors were placed in the top two on the premiership ladder this deep into the season was when they won the 2002 minor premiership.

The Warriors are ranked first for offloads, third for all run metres, first for post-contact metres, equal-second for line-breaks and fourth for tackle-breaks.

Shaun Johnson’s 40/20 against the Cowboys took the Warriors’ season tally to three (Blake Green kicked the other two). No other team has managed more than one so far.

Johnson slotted five-from-five in the goalkicking stakes against the Cowboys, lifting his season average to 73.68% (14 goals from 19 attempts), while he also became the first Warriors player to pass 800 points for the club.

David Fusitua’s third double of the season has put him two clear of the NRL tryscoring field on seven (Canterbury’s Josh Morris is outright second on five).

No Warriors player has scored more than 17 tries in the last seven seasons; barring injury, Fusitua should cruise past that mark. He’s also well on track to become the first player since Manu Vatuvei in 2010 to post up a 20-try year for the Warriors. From there, it’s only another three meat pies to Francis Meli’s club record of 23, set in the 2003 season.

Fusitua has also put himself in the frame to become the first Warriors player ever to top the premiership’s tryscoring charts.

Meli was second in 2003, two behind Penrith fullback Rhys Wesser, while Vatuvei’s 2010 tally was just one behind co-leaders Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Akuila Uate. Sean Hoppe’s long-standing club record of 19 tries in the Warriors’ foundation season placed him third behind Manly duo Steve Menzies (22) and John Hopoate (21).

Fusitu’s also has a team-high six errors against his name.

Big Ken Maumalo kept up his metre-eating form, racking up a game-high 173 to climb to sixth in the NRL. Mamalo is averaging 153 metres per game.

Peta Hiku (13th) and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (17th) are also in the NRL’s top 20 for running metres, with Hiku first amongst centres and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck third amongst fullbacks.

Hiku is also the competition’s fourth most prolific offloader, racking up 12 so far this season. Issac Luke, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (11 each) and Adam Blair (10) are in the top 10 for the category. Hiku and Johnson have both racked up a team-high 16 tackle-breaks, though Johnson has played one less game.

Less impressively, Hiku is ranked equal-third in the NRL for missed tackles with 21.

Solomone Kata joined Tuivasa-Sheck in equal-ninth in the NRL for line-breaks, chalking up his fourth of 2018 on Saturday.

Luke ran for a massive 115 metres against the Cowboys and is second amongst the NRL’s hooker behind Damien Cook. The revitalised veteran is averaging 92 metres a game.

Luke is also the Warriors’ top tackler, racking up 134 in five outings at almost 27 per game – including 37 against the Cowboys. He has also conceded a team-high six penalties in five games.

Blair topped the Warriors tackle count on Saturday with 39 (though some sites credited him with as many as 47). Jazz Tevaga boasts the Warriors’ best average, making 31 tackles per game in three appearances.

THE PUNT
The following selections paid out after the Warriors’ 20-8 win over Gold Coast (via NZ TAB)

-Warriors Win @ $1.87
-Warriors/Warriors @ $2.40
-Warriors 12 & Under @ $3.10
-Under 40.5 @ $1.87
-1st Try Scorer – Ken Maumalo @ $11
-Warriors by 7-12 @ $7.00
-To Score 2 or More Tries – David Fusitua @ $7

https://thiswarriorslife.com/2018/04/10/numbers-game-warriors-rd-5-stats/

Warriors games: Kickoff 9pm NZT or later going back to Round 1 2008.

43 games played

14 wins

29 losses

32% win/loss ratio for kickoff at 9pm NZT or later.

44% win/loss ratio for all 248 games played from R1 2008 onwards.

With a total away games win percentage of 35% in that time.

So 26% of our losses came from 17% of our games.

Combined points differential from those 43 games: -332

Total combined points differential from all 248 games going back to R1 2008: -536

So 17% of our games have contributed to a whopping 62% of our negative points differential. If you wanted to bet against the Warriors +13 we've lost 16 games by that....

This season were 1 and 1, beating the Bunnies in Perth and now losing to the Storm. Points Differential -28.

Interesting to note that the team traveled to Perth a week early, so they had ample time to adjust to the time zone, making it essentially an afternoon game, which makes these stats just that little bit worse..

Games starting at 8:00 / 8:30 have a win percentage of 33.33% and a points differential of -69. This is the same average PD of -7.7 (per game) as games starting at 9 and later.

All away games starting 7:30 or earlier have a win percentage of 36.6%.

This makes away games starting later than 8 pm NZT our worst hoodoo in the clubs history.

If you discount the Rabbitos game in Perth, as we were there for over a week before hand and had adjusted to the time zone, it was 2015, R2 vs the Raiders when we won our last late away game.

Putting us into an 11 game losing streak for away games starting after 8PM (for the timezone the players are adjusted to).

Last edited:
2018 Late Away games.

Round 08 vs Storm 8 pm kick off. - Loss

Round 11 vs Eels 8 pm kick off.

Round 15 vs Cowboys 8pm kick off.

Round 17 vs Panthers 9:55 pm kick off.

Looking at our home games, kick off at 8:00 or 8:30, going back to 2008:

6 wins and 5 losses, +47 Points Differential.

So we definitely have a huge weak spot in our preparation with regards to playing late away games.

With the potential to pick up 1 or 2 extra wins a season, and some positive points differential, when the solution is implemented.

One Stat thats dropped off thats killing us on offense is offloads, and quality ones. Mostly from Harris and Luke. By round 5 we were 30 clear of the competition, then it got narrowed to 15, now luckily we kicked back into gear and its still at 17 ahead of St George. Also another good one is 40/20s, leading that at 4, 2 ahead of the rest.

The biggest embarrassment is how good our defense was, we now lead missed tackles, WTF ....... did maloney play for us recently lol.

Top players is Jam packed with Roosters and Panthers players. If they seriously get it together the roosters will live up to sportsbets odds. Luckily we have at least already whipped them once.

Top TRY SCORER. SuperFusman. David is just such a sensational finisher. I love Ken for his returns and his busting runs, but try scoring Fusitua could play AFL or NBA with that hang time he gets under the high balls. And rarely misses a chance when Johnson or a centre gives him some room on the flank near the try line. I think he could go on to be one of the greats like Manu. Possibly making the top 10 all time. So yeah, I rate him.

Warriors games: Kickoff 9pm NZT or later going back to Round 1 2008.

43 games played

14 wins

29 losses

32% win/loss ratio for kickoff at 9pm NZT or later.

44% win/loss ratio for all 248 games played from R1 2008 onwards.

With a total away games win percentage of 35% in that time.

So 26% of our losses came from 17% of our games.

Combined points differential from those 43 games: -332

Total combined points differential from all 248 games going back to R1 2008: -536

So 17% of our games have contributed to a whopping 62% of our negative points differential. If you wanted to bet against the Warriors +13 we've lost 16 games by that....

This season were 1 and 1, beating the Bunnies in Perth and now losing to the Storm. Points Differential -28.

Interesting to note that the team traveled to Perth a week early, so they had ample time to adjust to the time zone, making it essentially an afternoon game, which makes these stats just that little bit worse..

Games starting at 8:00 / 8:30 have a win percentage of 33.33% and a points differential of -69. This is the same average PD of -7.7 (per game) as games starting at 9 and later.

All away games starting 7:30 or earlier have a win percentage of 36.6%.

This makes away games starting later than 8 pm NZT our worst hoodoo in the clubs history.

If you discount the Rabbitos game in Perth, as we were there for over a week before hand and had adjusted to the time zone, it was 2015, R2 vs the Raiders when we won our last late away game.

Putting us into an 11 game losing streak for away games starting after 8PM (for the timezone the players are adjusted to).
This latest win vs the Tigers, with our guys going straight back to normal transmission, confirms the late night hoodoo effect.

They defended spectacularly well, and amped up to score points whenever the tigers were weak,,,,

where as last game v the storm they never looked like being in the contest.

We've got a home game v the Roosters coming up, and then it's a late game vs the last placed Eels.

If we beat the roos and get rolled by the eels,,,,,

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
bunty-afoa-1c.jpg

CLUB NEWS

[Stats Sheet] Vodafone Warriors 26, Wests Tigers 4
www.photosport.nz Photography
Sat 5 May 2018, 06:43 PM

MATCH DETAILS

At Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland

Vodafone Warriors 26 (Karl Lawton 2, David Fusitua, Ken Maumalo, Shaun Johnson tries; Shaun Johnson 2 conversions, penalty).

Wests Tigers 4 (Mahe Fonua try).

Halftime: 12-4 Vodafone Warriors.

Referees: Ben Cummins and Grant Atkins.

Crowd: 16,727.

Vodafone Warriors | Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c); David Fusitua, Peta Hiku, Solomone Kata, Ken Maumalo; Blake Green, Shaun Johnson; Bunty Afoa, Issac Luke, Agnatius Paasi; Isaiah Papalii, Tohu Harris; Adam Blair. Interchange: Simon Mannering, Karl Lawton, Sam Lisone, James Gavet.

STATS

Team:

Penalties | 11-11

Completions | 37/45 (82%); 22/35 (63%)

Possession | 57%-43%

Total metres | 1851-1216

Kicks | 17-11

Kicking metres | 503-251

Errors | 7-16

Line breaks | 9-2

Line break assists | 6-1

Tackles | 270-388

Missed tackles |33-45

Ineffective tackles | 24-25

Off loads | 17-13

Individual:

Most metres | Ken Maumalo 190, Agnatius Paasi 171, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 163, Bunty Afoa 158, David Fusitua 133, Peta Hiku 129, Tohu Harris 123, Shaun Johnson 113, Isaiah Papali’Ii 110, Simon Mannering 103

Most post-contact metres | Ken Maumalo 71, Bunty Afoa 57, Agnatius Paasi 56, Simon Mannering 48, Tohu Harris 47, Isaiah Papalii 45, Peta Hiku 44

Most runs | Agnatius Paasi 19, Ken Maumalo 18, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 17, Tohu Harris 16, Peta Hiku 13, Bunty Afoa 12, Isaiah Papalii 12, Simon Mannering 12

Most tackle breaks | Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 10, Karl Lawton 9, Ken Maumalo 6, Shaun Johnson 5

Most tackles | Simon Mannering 34, Isaiah Papalii 30, Tohu Harris 28, Adam Blair 23, Sam Lisone 21, Issac Luke 21, Bunty Afoa 20

Most off loads | Agnatius Paasi 4, Peta Hiku 3

Most supports | Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 22, Blake Green 21, Isaiah Papali’Ii 17, Tohu Harris 16, Simon Mannering 15, Shaun Johnson 15

Most decoys | Sam Lisone 7, Adam Blair 6

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/05/05/halftime-stats--vodafone-warriors-12-wests-tigers-4/

NRL released this yesterday which goes over crowd figures and TV ratings across the first 10 rounds :

NRL crowds and ratings
NRL Media Release
Tue 22 May 2018, 03:26 PM

NRL crowds have risen and television ratings are outperforming the market, a meeting of NRL Club CEOs was told today.

Independent research group, Futures Sport and Entertainment provided an overview of the first 10 rounds of the NRL Telstra Premiership, showing the game is in a strong position.

The data, provided by Futures Sport, showed:

• NRL crowds are up 5.5 per cent year on year, with an average crowd in 2018 of 16,620
  • The cumulative attendance figure after 10 rounds was 1.26 million
  • Television ratings for the year are down 0.4 per cent in a declining television market in Australia and up 22 per cent in New Zealand

The meeting of the CEOs today also heard that club memberships are up 5.7 per cent to nearly 310,000 so far this year.

NRL Chief Executive, Todd Greenberg said the game is in a strong position heading in the Holden State of Origin series, which is a peak period for the game.

"Our aim is to improve on those figures during the rest of the season," he said.

Mr Greenberg said Qantas, which runs the highly successful Frequent Flyer program, was invited to present to the clubs today to give a further insight on attracting members.

Updates were also provided by working groups on Third Party Agreements and commercial opportunities.

These working groups are looking to finalise their reports in the coming months.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/22/nrl-crowds-and-ratings/

Crowds are up 5.5% across the NRL (probably helped by the double headers).

Most interesting part is that while TV ratings in Australia are down slightly, they're UP by 22% in New Zealand.
Everybody loves a winner!

Last edited by a moderator: