General Warriors Staff General Discussion

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Warriors Staff General Discussion

*MOD - Thread title changed from 'Footballing Department Recruiting' to become a general Warriors Staff discussion thread.

With the NRL making the clubs stick to a salary cap next year, and the Warriors not spending up to the new salary cap, who do you think the Warriors should go after from other teams.

The Football dept. cap is set at $5.7 mil next season. The Sharks, Titans, Tigers, Dragons, Cowboys, Knights and us are the only clubs that spent under that for the 2016 season.

The Raiders and Eels both spent over $8 mil; Bulldogs, Bunnies, Broncos, Roosters and Panthers spent over $7 mil; and Storm and Sea Eagles over $6 mil.

So, if the clubs that are over need to shed staff, anyone you think the Warriors should go after? Remember, clubs won’t get rid of the elite coaches so it would be more like their support staff

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...p/news-story/486880ad83dc762b575a54b32140d6a6

Reactions: Johnnyray

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
If the rumours are true with Brian Smith and Peter O'Sullivan combined with Corvo I'm pretty happy with that.

I would like a skills/technique coach who is focused specially on our under 20 type players as I feel our young players start off too far behind their Australian peers.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
If the rumours are true with Brian Smith and Peter O'Sullivan combined with Corvo I'm pretty happy with that.

I would like a skills/technique coach who is focused specially on our under 20 type players as I feel our young players start off too far behind their Australian peers.
Seeing how far the Broncos are over the new football dept. cap, it wouldn't surprise me if they were forced to let Corvo go in order to reduce their wages bill. Good for us - not so much for them!!

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
This is the cap that has been talked about for a few years now to cover the coaching staff salaries, sports science, gym equipment etc?

This will help bring down the clubs spending seeing which is a good thing from a business point of view seeing as how many have needed help from the NRL recently.

From someone who is interested in exercising, nutrition, sport science it is interesting to see what clubs do to get an edge. Now it could be a case of balancing where you spend your money. Or we wait for the Sydney clubs to complain so we can have TPA's for club spending.

• Haha
Reactions: Pozza and Johnnyray

WarriorBall

I agree with much of what’s been said but there are a couple of areas I’d like to see us recruit too, one is a wrestling coach, what’s John Donehue doing now? is he still with the Storm?? pair him with Alex Corvo and we’d really have something, maybe we can stop leaking 24 points a game!

The other area is not directly related to the football department but it’s an area where I feel we really let ourselves down as a club, I’m talking TPA’s, the NRL will swear until their blue in the face that it’s the most evenly contested comp in the world but we all know that’s just not true, we’re one club in an entire country, can’t we find the right somebody who can facilitate these third party deals to make us a more lucrative prospect to better quality players the way the Roosters, Bronco’s and Storm manage too.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I agree with much of what’s been said but there are a couple of areas I’d like to see us recruit too, one is a wrestling coach, what’s John Donehue doing now? is he still with the Storm?? pair him with Alex Corvo and we’d really have something, maybe we can stop leaking 24 points a game!

The other area is not directly related to the football department but it’s an area where I feel we really let ourselves down as a club, I’m talking TPA’s, the NRL will swear until their blue in the face that it’s the most evenly contested comp in the world but we all know that’s just not true, we’re one club in an entire country, can’t we find the right somebody who can facilitate these third party deals to make us a more lucrative prospect to better quality players the way the Roosters, Bronco’s and Storm manage too.

Maybe if League ever becomes a true international sport, NZ will find more interest in supporting it financially. But at the moment, i really cant see it.

Also look at Melb. The only thing that made the Storm a self funding organisation, was when they got their wins stripped for screwing the cap and people actually joined the club in protest at a melb sporting franchise that was seen as being attacked by the rest of Australia.

Maybe thats what the warriors need. some fundamental threat to make kiwis stand up and say hands off our team.

Reactions: Johnnyray and bruce

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
The more we hire micro skills guys the better our chances.

Where is the passing and Kicking guy....if this was an Olympic sport there would be a coach refining those glaringly horrible Warrior deficits.

Farkin Rugby code dreamers.

Reactions: bruce

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Maybe if League ever becomes a true international sport, NZ will find more interest in supporting it financially. But at the moment, i really cant see it.

Also look at Melb. The only thing that made the Storm a self funding organisation, was when they got their wins stripped for screwing the cap and people actually joined the club in protest at a melb sporting franchise that was seen as being attacked by the rest of Australia.

Maybe thats what the warriors need. some fundamental threat to make kiwis stand up and say hands off our team.

Being attacked by NSW, that is a red rag to any self respecting Victorian.

Reactions: bruce and gREVUS

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
What i take out of that interview is that Kearney appears to understand what is needed. Good signs imo.
The Chinese guy who tiled my bathroom and could barely speak English could tell you what is needed. This forum has basically been harping on about it for the last 6 years. Every coach we have since Cleary has known. The key is does Mooks know how to actually achieve what is needed?

Proof will be in the pudding. I'm not getting my hopes up an iota...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The Chinese guy who tiled my bathroom and could barely speak English could tell you what is needed. This forum has basically been harping on about it for the last 6 years. Every coach we have since Cleary has known. The key is does Mooks know how to actually achieve what is needed?

Your Chinese guy told you there were too many South Auckland bros in the side did he, and too many slack arses working around the club and a CEO full of bullshit?

• Haha
Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

Agree but at least he appears to be trying to make the right steps.

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012

The reason the NRL don’t make public the TPA’s is that it would de bunk there bullshit about an even comp.
There are a few clubs who have TPA’s hanging out of there arse, and others who have very little.
Broncs and Roosters will tell you it’s a real even comp.

Reactions: eudebrito and bruce

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The most important recruits that will have the biggest effect on the Warriors performance will be Corvo and Smith.

I would love to see a breakdown of Warriors staff and their roles in the organisation. I say that because I can see conflict coming up, not saying that is a bad thing. For instance Iro is ISP Coach. How will he react to Smith critiquing his methods and 'Process'.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when, and they will, Player Agents start bitching about how hard their clients are being trained with Smith in the room. Kearney as Head Coach doesn't need to deal with that crap, he needs to focussed on FG performance.

A lot bang on about how Cleary was our last successful Coach. He was also the last to have a Brian Smith role person in John Hart. Coincidence?, maybe, but seems a bit silly it hasn't been tried again since.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I would love to see a breakdown of Warriors staff and their roles in the organisation. I say that because I can see conflict coming up, not saying that is a bad thing. For instance Iro is ISP Coach. How will he react to Smith critiquing his methods and 'Process'.
Iro was a top professional at both the Roosters and the Rabbitohs. He will know what Smith wants.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings