General Warriors Sponsorship Thread

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
I imagine that Vodaphone deal will stay in place but if it did in any unlikely event it did fall over for any reason, then one of our second cursory sponsors would take over as our main sponsor such as Skycity being most likely candidate. Me I just hope that these new owners will finally allow us take their names off front of our Anzac Jersey. To me some things should remain sacred and allowing commerial spaces on commemorative jersey like that feels very wrong to me. Just my opinion.

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I wouldn’t expect the deal to continue beyond the current period.

Vodafone would have taken a holistic approach and seen the Warriors investment as being in Australasia, with Vodafone the third biggest player in Australia.

With the new business being independent and NZ based there is no benefit to promoting the brand outside the NZ market and paying a premium to do so.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I wouldn’t expect the deal to continue beyond the current period.

Vodafone would have taken a holistic approach and seen the Warriors investment as being in Australasia, with Vodafone the third biggest player in Australia.

With the new business being independent and NZ based there is no benefit to promoting the brand outside the NZ market and paying a premium to do so.
The obvious answer to that is to ask Vodafone Australia for a contribution.

Reactions: Diesel

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
The obvious answer to that is to ask Vodafone Australia for a contribution.

I wonder if we have ever explored the option of having an Australian sponsor or two.

We're always trotted out as the team selling the highest amount of merchandise and a lot of that would be in Australia.

Reactions: bruce

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
MAJOR NEW SIGNING

Best Foods signs as new major sponsor
Author warriors.kiwi
Mon 13 Jan 2020, 03:12 PM
best-foods-1a.jpg

Aotearoa’s favourite mayo brand Best Foods has teamed up with New Zealand’s favourite rugby league team, the Vodafone Warriors.
Best Foods unveiled its two-year major sponsorship with the club today (January 13).

Fans can expect to see the Best Foods logo appearing on the Vodafone Warriors' shorts and Best Foods is also planning new in-stadium surprises to spread the love (and the mayo) to all their fans.

Best Foods' Australasian head of business development Matt Rigby says working with the Vodafone is a perfect fit for the brand.

"We’re stoked to partner the Vodafone Warriors," he said.

"The team is a potent force in Kiwi communities. We’re proud to be working with an organisation that gives back to the community, has a unique voice in Aotearoa and, most importantly, has mana.”

Vodafone Warriors general manager commercial Glenn Critchley GM Commercial Vodafone Warriors said Best Foods is an ideal partner.

“Best Foods is a firm favourite in Aotearoa," he said.

"This sponsorship is a perfect alignment of two like-minded brands and will allow us to continue to make a difference in the lives of New Zealanders of all ages through our game, our brand and our athletes.”

About Best Foods

Best Foods mayonnaise has been around since 1913 after being established in New York City. With a blend of perfection and a flair for innovation, founders Richard and Margaret Hellmann did everything they could to create the perfect mayonnaise. The mayonnaise recipe they created in their New York deli, more than 100 years ago, has been a fan favourite ever since. Unilever acquired the Best Foods brand in 2000 and has continued to distribute it worldwide to loyal Best Foods fans, including here in New Zealand where it is the number one mayonnaise brand. Best Foods believes that good food doesn’t have to cost the earth, creating mayonnaise from simple ingredients to deliver the best possible taste. Best Foods mayonnaise is made with 100 percent cage free eggs and real ingredients sourced from trusted American farms.

http://www.bestfoods.co.nz/ @bestfoodsnz (Facebook and Instagram).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Mar 30, 2012
I see Telstra and the NRL have backed down around forcing Vodafone out of their current sponsorship deal with the Warriors.

Bit of a missed opportunity sadly, tbh I'm sick of how corporatised the club is around Vodafone. We don't represent Vodafone, we aren't a Vodafone team, yet we have it rammed down our throats way too much. It saps the mana of the club and isn't helpful in building a real identity. Imagine if Man U constantly referred to themselves as "Chevrolet United" or "Adidas Man U" when you got to the ground?

Something for the club to reconsider next time it comes up in 2022. I don't think there should be "naming rights" in the way that we are using them now. We are simply the Warriors.

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
I see Telstra and the NRL have backed down around forcing Vodafone out of their current sponsorship deal with the Warriors.

Bit of a missed opportunity sadly, tbh I'm sick of how corporatised the club is around Vodafone. We don't represent Vodafone, we aren't a Vodafone team, yet we have it rammed down our throats way too much. It saps the mana of the club and isn't helpful in building a real identity. Imagine if Man U constantly referred to themselves as "Chevrolet United" or "Adidas Man U" when you got to the ground?

Something for the club to reconsider next time it comes up in 2022. I don't think there should be "naming rights" in the way that we are using them now. We are simply the Warriors.
If u paid a sports club $1m a year I’m sure you would want your name up in lights in return for your investment.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
If u paid a sports club $1m a year I’m sure you would want your name up in lights in return for your investment.

Hey, if I give a club I don't particularly care about - ie I'm not a member in any way - $20 for a 30 pack of Coke Zero for the clubroom, I want the world to know who gave the club that money.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
The quickest way to get some decent sponsorship is to keep winning.

One thing being based in Oz has done for us is to lift the profile of the club over there. Everyone feels for us at the moment and rightly so, we've sacrificed more than most.

We need to maximise this advantage while it lasts.

Reactions: Worried2Death

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks to Telstra, Vodafone have got some great positive publicity over the past few days.

Also highlights the fact that CG doesn’t have the same influence with the NRL as Gus or other club CEOs.

Last edited:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Cameron George was on the radio this morning he said the exclusivity cause was added by the NRL. Sounds a bit odd as usually you would expect it would come from the sponsor.

Sounds like it was something the NRL added to make the deal more favourable. You would expect they would look to see if it would affect any of their clubs.

He also said the issue came to a head due to them being based in Australia and having Vodafone pads at their home games. A funny one as it was due to being more visible, yeah we have some good publicity. But most of our games were played in front of now crowds or limited crowds seeing as most of our members are in New Zealand. An Australian watching a Warriors game on TV does it matter if the pads on the post are based in Australia or NZ.

Reactions: fizurg

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
I wondered why we had Autex branded goal post padding. Yet we still have the Vodafone CGI images on the ground for our home games. Maybe it’s just coz people at the ground can’t see the Vodafone signs on the field.

Another odd thing I noticed was the Panthers ‘roar’ being played last week at our home ground... that shit would never happen if we were playing in NZ!!

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings