General Warriors sign 'tough' recruit

EnterFien_old

SOURCE: Stuff.co.nz

Warriors recruit Ian Henderson has packed a lot into his young football career.

Now 24, Henderson made his NRL debut for the Sydney Roosters in 2003, played one first-grade game for Parramatta in 2005 before joining British Super League club Bradford for 2 1/2 years, helping the Bulls win the title in his first season.

To top it off, the nuggety Australian, who was born in England, also represented Scotland last year and will play in next year's World Cup alongside his brothers Kevin and Andy.

Henderson's link with Warriors coach Ivan Cleary, as a member of his premiership-winning Roosters reserve grade side, had encouraged him to sign with the club.

He is a straight swap for George Gatis, who was let go by the Warriors this season, and will share dummy-half duties with Nathan Fien.

"I had ambition to come back and play in the NRL and to play well," said Henderson, adding he was impressed with the Warriors strong 2007 season.

"I want to challenge myself even greater and growing up in Oz I always had the ambition of playing in the NRL [on a regular basis].

"That was the goal and I came close to reaching it before I went but I probably didn't have the maturity.

"Now I've grown a bit and gained more experience on the field, I feel the time is right."

Asked what Warriors fans could expect from him, Henderson promises to spill blood for the cause, describing himself as a "tough" player.

"I like to get involved a lot, you'll see me trying to get in every tackle and trying to do as much as I can, just a lot of effort, a busy hooker."

Despite Henderson's promising debut season for Bradford, the Bulls purchased Great Britain hooker Terry Newton, somewhat blocking his path.

"The first season there I was pretty much 80 minutes [per game] and I clocked up a lot of gametime and as the years went by they bought in another hooker and my minutes went down to be honest."

Henderson plays a straight bat when asked if he hoped to displace Fien as the Warriors starting rake.

"I haven't really looked that far ahead. I've learnt before, years ago, not to get ahead of myself so I'm just hoping training goes well and then I'll think about trying to make the team before I get a start."

"I just want to train well and impress the coaches first."

Jesbass_old

I missed the television interview with him a couple of nights ago, but apparently he's he's a pretty solid looking unit.

JonB_old

He certainly doesn't have a glass jaw.

Last edited by a moderator: