General Warriors Set to be Sold?

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by Canadian_WarriorFan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ARL/Graham Lowe/Wayne Scurrah

2. Fale Consortium

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

2. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Just listened to an interview Richard Fale did with Mike Hosking.

Fale sounds very confident and said they would know within 14 days if they're successful.

I had a look at his Twitter and his bio now reads "Major fan of the New Zealand Warriors." and he's reposted a couple of NZ Warriors posts over the last week or two (no posts before that since 2012).

Will be interesting to see if he tries to make his presence felt at the Titans game this week.

Something else I noticed when looking back on his Twitter were his links to the Hawaii Warriors (their university American Football team), could be a complete coincidence that the name is the same or could it be a driving factor behind the bid?

3. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

I'll come out and say it, I have no proof of this but I believe he's being backed by his church. His involvement in Hawaiian politics will be protecting their interests in Laie as well. Money is not an issue for them buying the team, public perception is which is why he's heading it up, he's a 'familiar face' to us being Polynesian and a lot of what he's saying is a distraction as is the talk of NFL players backing the consortium etc. If they'd used a white businessman from Utah, alarm bells would be ringing for the fans here and they understand what the general public perception of them is which is why they tread carefully. They do sports ownership elsewhere in the world but it's done indirectly as this appears to be. I actually have no issue with them buying the club from a financial standpoint, regardless of what people think of them, they don't mismanage their money. If you don't mind the club being owned by a church then they won't be bad owners, they could've found a better front man but I put that down to them being naive in this part of the world. It would be interesting to see what would happen if a journalist asked him straight if the church was financing this project. I suspect he's used to deflecting those types of questions. There it is, pure speculation on my part but I'd be surprised if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

It's coincidence. The Rainbow Warriors are the only big game in town. Everybody there supports them.

5. Snoopy
    Join:
    Aug 19, 2017

Snoopy 1st Grade Fringe

The value of the Warriors will increase as the season goes on and we do better than expected. I bet even after r1 EW is thinking there maybe some upside here

6. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I honestly just don't wa nt anyone messing with the process.At the moment .Something good is happening

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Just caught the Hosking interview with Fale and for the first time since hearing him speak a week ago he didn’t come off sounding like a used car salesmen, his Interest in the Warriors and the fans to me seems genuine.

You can see the interview live in the studio here:
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

8. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

You raise a good point.

You'd have to say that if the team were winning regularly on the field, the club would be worth more than it is currently.

They'd be selling more tickets/Jerseys and receiving more money from sponsors.

The question is whether the $20 million is a fair valuation of where the club is currently at or whether it's overs based on potential.

9. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

It honestly doesn’t matter mate, the price EW is asking sounds like chump change to the Fale group. Price is not even in their top 5 concerns around buying the club if you believe what he says in the interview on newstalkZB.

10. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

It looked like good PR. He should be enthusiastic and genuine, this is a big step up for him.

Hosking asked some good questions without pressing too hard.

11. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

He interviews well compared to the quotes you would see in print media. The print media stuff was mainly around the disagreement with the ARL.

One of my main questions was about how things would work with owners based in the States. He rightly points out we have an absentee owner now. They will have someone local.

Interesting comments about not getting a sense of the owners visions or expectations of the organisation.

Back to his Taumalolo comments from a few days ago. Bringing home the biggest Tongan name in the sport would be fantastic but he is under a 10 year contract. Sure contracts can be broken but we can't talk to him without breaking NRL contracting laws. Love to see potential owners talking about big names but getting them he is another story.

12. Rilakkuma
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Rilakkuma 1st Grade Fringe

If this was happening last season, I wouldn't care who bought the club. But, now the club is finally heading in the right direction. Will they speed up our path to success and spend money on the right resources. Or will they ruin the club properly.

13. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Hopefully Watson isn't just looking at what he receives but also finding the best owner for the club to move forward. Mind you someone promising a whole lot of investment could sucker him in as well. Being a rich man there would be some ego with handing it over to certain people either grudges or someone else doing better than he did.

We seem to have the front office sorted and made some good changes. This would have helped make the club more enticing, someone mentioned this during the off season and bringing in Corvo etc with the purse strings being opened.

If we get it right the club could move forward. Get it wrong and recycle back to the last few years.

14. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

How would he know though? He has no experience in owning a sports club by his own admission or any business that we know of. He wasn't an ex NFL player or a professional sportsman at all so how does he know what that sense feels like? The consortium partners that did play for championship teams aren't here by all accounts so they won't be getting a sense of anything. Maybe he's perceiving the Kiwi sort of reserved, humble nature as a lack of enthusiasm from front office staff in embracing 'the vision' or maybe it's just filler for the interview.

He drops the term 'data points' three or four times in the interview in an attempt to sound like he's an experienced businessman but it was just hyperbole. He's learning fast though, he started out with typical American bluster and promises in previous interviews but now he's picked up on what will work with the NZ audience and toned it right down into something more palatable. He's gone very quickly from 'Mr Bigshot' to 'local boy born and raised in the Pacific' which works much better here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  15. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Interestingly the the fact the team is failing on the feild could actually be a positive to the sale of the club. This club has been able to post profits each year for the last few years even though they have been dismal on the feild. Showing that by sporting franchises it’s a very safe bet. It also lets potential buyers get excited by the possible returns if they get the club winning again.
    Far safer than say buying the Storm who are very successful yet would probably be bankrupt within a few years if they had the results of the feild we have had.

16. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

ramraider78 1st Grade Fringe

Funny you say that about Hawaii University, NZ is meant to be there new recruitment ground since all the other colleges go to the Islands for players - only know this cause I went to open trial Hawaii University held in Auckland and a few league boys I know trialed out. Coaches flew over to oversee the trial and 2 or 3 players got offers of free tuition at the college, well that's the talk I head after it.

On your other post, about the 20 million - it's a bidding war now, final sale price will be more than 20 million, from what I heard over the weekend the highest bidder with the right fit will get it - 3 horse race now; I wasn't too drunk when we were watching the game at the bar lol

17. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

It's not a good pathway to the NFL, they're not in a strong enough conference which is why the likes of Mariota, Tagovailoa etc go to mainland universities to give themselves a better chance. Hawaii know they're not in the reckoning for those top tier players, they'll be looking for uncovered gems here and in Aus.

I remember Hawaii recruiting here 30 years ago and a few Richmond boys signed to them. Mark Nua was the highest profile recruit that went there that I can remember, he was 6'6 and 170kgs and managed to get signed to the Chargers for a year but didn't play a game.

18. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

As much as some of you say Watson is a flog(I personally have no idea). I feel pretty confident that he will be doing his own due dilligence on anyone buying the club, hes owned it for quite some time and it's stayed afloat. I don't think hes gonna sell it to someone that he feels will run it into the ground, surely hes more kiwi than that. Thats just my feeling towards the situation anyway, maybe i'm blinded for my love of the team??

19. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Watson is a businessman first, I cant see him selling to anyone but the highest bidder.

20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

That is a bloody good idea and I hope Monty is pushing it. The problem is still that the club isn't worth $20 million, it would just be a donation to Watson.