General Warriors Salary Cap Discussion

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by hotdogRL, Dec 19, 2014.

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

I remember back in 2000-2004 the players use to get incentive based bonuses. Some were getting an extra $2K a win plus an extra $10K if they won 3 games in a month.

These days with the way the salary cap is it would be extremely difficult to measure just how much of the cap will or wont be used if salaries were incentive based. You would have to guarantee every player at least 90% of their salaries. The risk is though that what if they go on to win more games then the remaining 10% allows? Thats assuming of course you dont have to pay any of the 2nd tier NRL match payments, have adequate cover for your Reserve Grade, dont have to pay any NYC contracted players NSW or NRL match payments and dont have to bring in any 3rd tier players from the Fox Memorial Cup any NSW Cup match payments.

The way I see it you could probably allow 5% of your cap to go on incentives but that only works out to about $1K a player a game. Not much to offer someone like Ben Matulino when he's probably on $10K a week or $21K a game if he plays all 24.

Thats just my opinion though and I have no idea about the real feasibility of the whole thing.

What I do know for sure is that under NRL rules you must spend 90% of your cap on player salaries. Any 2nd tier contracted players who play NRL are to receive match payments on top of their salaries which is worth about $2K a game. Same goes for NYC players who play NRL or NSW Cup games and any outside players like Pat Sipley or Upu Pooching who play NSW Cup though their match payments are pretty shit at around $200. But it does all add up when you have guys like Charlie Gubb, James Gavet and Ken Maumalo playing so many NRL games that require match payments.

As for the $10K in a lazy envelope thats just salary cap rorting and I doubt the person who initiated the NRL Integrity Unit who is now our CEO will go along with that...

2. Otto Sump
    Join:
    Aug 4, 2015

Otto Sump Warriors Bench Player

How do the contracts themselves work? Is the player contracted to play for that specific club or for the club that owns the playing contract? Can the club on sell the contract and the player is forced to move or do all parties have to agree on the transfer?

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Both parties have to agree...

4. Otto Sump
    Join:
    Aug 4, 2015

Otto Sump Warriors Bench Player

Thanks for clarifying that for me...

5. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Great post. I've lost count how many times after a loss I have seen posted on various sites that the Warriors should be on performance based contracts.

All well and good but as you state it is pretty difficult if you are required to spend 90% of the cap to start with.

Then there is also the lets offer someone $200k and the opportunity to earn $100-200k on top of that. Yes there is an incentive to perform but if they get injured they only stuck with their base contract. Injuries happen. Now one of our competing clubs comes in and offers them $300-$400k it is a no brainer which contract you would sign. These guys are like us albeit on bigger deals. They still have families to take care of and bills to pay.

Imagine in our work places. Would you rather get your salary ever month or lower but the opportunity for a bigger bonus depending on your boss measuring certain criteria or the companies profit. Personally I'd rather get my money every week/month and budget for having it and be able to spend, save, invest it how I see fit instead of hoping for an amount that may never eventuate.

Imagine if the club blew the cap? They'd probably need to pay it and count it the following year. How made would the fans be now having to play below the cap due to the penalties.

I see the value in performance based contracts but can't see how they'd fit in the NRL especially how the other clubs are like vultures when it comes to signing talent. Maybe for rep teams like the kiwis if the NZRL could afford it or if they brought it central contracting.

6. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

we must have some coin..Hurrell, lousi, Robson, Leuluai, Lane, RFM and can imagine a few more leaving in the next month or two for sure..either we're looking at locking up our young talent, in Junior Pauga, Hingano, Afoa etc..maybe adding extensions to a few..

But wasn't Hurrell on a huge contract, 400k plus? can imagine TL was similar, and Lousi, 300k, RFM 250k, this is freeing up some serious coin

7. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

What you guys are talking about is team culture, Attitudes an expectations towards
    Work, It can't be brought, , I'm sorry but it's the truth,
    You can change it .But you can't buy it.
    Look in your own work places The standards are already set for you , Before
    You start on your first day, You will take your cues from those around you, An
    Work within those parameters, Stepping out side of these lines results in conflict,
    Of sorts , This is can be changed , If we for example had 10 players
    Who hard core believed that they could win , An as a group dedicated their efforts with
    Honesty and intent , To winning,Every other player would fall in line, Kind of trendy click , It works

8. The Truth
    Join:
    Jun 17, 2013

The Truth 1st Grade Fringe

I think the Warriors contracts should be 90% of their agreed salary if they fail to make the 8.
    The other 10% gets donated to charity.

Obviously the higher payed players have more to lose so we may see more effort on their part.

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

You'll probably have a big problem signing future recruits with that sort of thing...

10. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah performance based contracts won't work well with a tight salary cap. No player would take a lower salary with the potential to make the rest back by playing well. Especially at a team that underachieves.
    It may work with the guys on low incomes as their bonuses would be manageable within the cap but the guys on big buck would blow the cap out if we performed.
    As far as I know Wigan used to use win bonuses a lot in the 90's. You don't win you don't get paid that week type of thing. Apparently it worked well for them but you have to have a good squad and no salary cap restrictions.

11. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

No salary cap restrictions - a bit like the Broncos and the Rorters then?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone want to stab a guess at what we have left in the cap?

I have the following list of signings and releases (have not bothered including the close to minimum players who are coming and going as they will not have an impact on the cap)

Does someone want to guess each players worth (lets put 2017 value on those gone and 2018 value on those arriving)
    Gone
    Hoffman
    Lilyman
    Matulino
    Thompson
    Foran
    Vatuvei
    Lolohea

Confirmed Signing
    Harris
    Pulu
    Beale
    Hiku

Probable Signings
    Blair
    Green

Tell me how much we have left for props?

13. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Hoffman $600k
    Lilyman $450k
    Matulino $500k
    Thompson $350k
    Foran $600k
    Vatuvei $600k
    Lolohea $300k

Confirmed Signing
    Harris $600k
    Pulu $250k
    Beale $380k
    Hiku $250k

Probable Signings
    Blair $650k
    Green $500k

My guess is between $700k - $800k. but bare in mind their are other variables like the new salary cap and player upgrades, anyone feel free to correct these player figures if you think you know.

14. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

I think closer to 1 - 1.5 mil left

15. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Even better then.

16. The Batman
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

The Batman 1st Grade Fringe

Don't forget the upgrades on a few players contracts from previous $$$
    SJ, Roache, Hingano, Lino, Gavet, Fus, CNK etc

17. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Yep, I think we'll still be clear a decent amount when we take into the salary cap has gone up to $9.4 million.

18. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

You got a cap increase that will cover some of the upgrades. Don't expect the fringe guys like Hingano, Lino, Roache and CNK to have won big increases

19. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

It's a significant increase we're talking about too, yes there will be ratchet clauses for certain players but we're talking an increase from 2017-18 of around $2.4 million but it's a very murky area and difficult to estimate with any certainty.

20. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Does anyone know if we are still looking or is it to late?I heard we were chasing another
    Prop .But with preseason under way is this likely? .Do we have the cap?