General Warriors Salary Cap Discussion

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
If that was the case with sao (not saying it's not) and the clubs made up their mind that he won't feature in first grade again this year, wouldn't they have looked to release him before vete?
What's the point keeping him around?
I'm a fan so I hope that's not the case and he gets a run this week.
Im assuming they only release them when they have a party interested in taking them. If Ligi has no future home lined up, they wouldnt be able to release him

Reaction score

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Anyone know if we get a spot freed up with Albert Vete leaving?

Updated list...

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitua
3. Peta Hiku
4. Solomone Kata
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Blake Green
7. Shaun Johnson
8. James Gavet
9. Issac Luke
10. Adam Blair
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. Tohu Harris
13. Ligi Sao
14. Sam Cook
15. Leivaha Pulu
16. Sam Lisone
17. Bunty Afoa
18. Jazz Tevaga
19. Agnatius Paasi
20. Mason Lino
21. Chris Satae
22. Simon Mannering
23. Anthony Gelling
24. Albert Vete
25. Joseph Vuna
26. Karl Lawton
27. Gerard Beale

NAMED

28. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
29. Blake Ayshford

UNUSED

James Bell
Matiu Love-Henry
Manaia Cherrington
Hayze Perham
King Vuniyawa
Patrick Sipley
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Junior Pauga
Lewis Soosemea

EXEMPTION

Nathaniel Roache
An article earlier in the year stated that Perham had been upgraded to the top 30 so that would round things out. You would have to imagine that someone replaces Vete with him no longer signed by the club

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
An article earlier in the year stated that Perham had been upgraded to the top 30 so that would round things out. You would have to imagine that someone replaces Vete with him Yes longer signed by the club
no longer? did your autocorrect get messed with?

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If that was the case with sao (not saying it's not) and the clubs made up their mind that he won't feature in first grade again this year, wouldn't they have looked to release him before vete?
What's the point keeping him around?
I'm a fan so I hope that's not the case and he gets a run this week.
Honestly I wouldnt know. Only possible explanation is that Ligis $200k salary bumps up to $300k per year next year.
So playing him this year costs our cap $100k next year.
Obviously I wouldn’t know the details and the figures are made up. But if that extra $100k will mean the difference between re-signing Luke you could see why they would do it.

Reaction score
eric

eric

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yes longer? did your autocorrect get messed with?

if you were playing in ISP and you found out you weren’t named in the 30 so have Yes chance to play NRL for that season even though you might be playing really well.
Yep I think fizurg and swannys phones have been played with by others :D

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep I think fizurg and swannys phones have been played with by others :D
nope its all over the site, ive sent a headsup to Taj

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Im assuming they only release them when they have a party interested in taking them. If Ligi has no future home lined up, they wouldnt be able to release him
That's true but I'd be surprised if he didn't have any takers- good player, first grade proven and still young with his best footy ahead of him.
It's a strange one.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
An article earlier in the year stated that Perham had been upgraded to the top 30 so that would round things out. You would have to imagine that someone replaces Vete with him no longer signed by the club
If I remember correctly the article only said his contract had been upgraded. I don't remember it saying top 30. Could just mean he went from a Jersey Flegg contract to an ISP one...

Reaction score

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the article only said his contract had been upgraded. I don't remember it saying top 30. Could just mean he went from a Jersey Flegg contract to an ISP one...
Yeah you are right, I may have been reading too much into it. I assumed it was referring to Cook and Perham being in the top 30. An article below

Warriors sign Titans utility Karl Lawton
NRL.com
Thu 1 Mar 2018, 04:04 PM

The Warriors have signed Gold Coast Titans utility Karl Lawton on a two-year deal, while also upgrading the contracts of young hooker Sam Cook and fullback Hayze Perham.

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Top 30 squads may become publicised in 2019

A list of top 30 squads may get publicised next season as the league looks to for greater transparency with its rostering, as reported by NRL.com.

Representatives from each club, the Rugby League Players’ Association and agents accreditation committee will meet on August 21 to discuss the latest contracting system which came out in November.

The current rules permits teams to confirm a top 24 roster for 2019 with the NRL as of November 1 and 29 players to be signed to a roster at the start of the season in March.

Clubs then have up until June 1 to sign an additional player to take their roster tally to 30, with 3-6 players allowed to be signed on development contracts.

One of the reported changes to the proposed new system would necessitate clubs to publish full squad lists, with players who are still under the salary cap but playing elsewhere no longer occupying a roster spot.

An example is retired Sea Eagle Nate Myles, who occupies a spot in both their top 30 and their salary.

Clubs would still be permitted to pay the salary of players who have left, but they would no longer occupy a roster spot.

Another sanction of the new system that is being pushed is clubs having more lenience when picking players from their lower grades, opposing the current system when they must apply for special dispensation.

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
wow $450k for playing 25 minutes of a game 24 times a year half arsed !

when i see those kind of wages i really am being paid shit hahaha
The cap for 2019 is 9.6m and the minimum wage is $105,000

And that's AUD

I'd like to see a Communist team where every player got $320,000 each

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
That article annoys me on 2 fronts....

Not replacing Gavet means we are now an injury or two from Tevaga being a replacement front rower.

Why can’t they tell Kata to test his value in the open market. Not sure there would be a lot of demand for a centre that can’t pass!

Reaction score

Sammyw11

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
"There could be a bit of a shakeup in some places and if that happens, it will leave us reasonably well place if we felt like we wanted to make a move." - B Smith

intersting quote, with gavet freeing up a massive amount of 450k (i struggle to believe he was actually earning that), Luke taking a huge pay cut, mannering retiring. seems as though we now have a decent bit of room to move in the cap, im not expecting anything for next season but it does seem like the club is aiming for a marquee buy for 2020.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Not replacing Gavet means we are now an injury or two from Tevaga being a replacement front rower.
You need to have space in the salary cap to replace players.

Luke taking a huge pay cut,
That is dependent on whether the club budgeted anything for him for 2019 season. If they didn't, and they resigned him, and with the club having already committed most of their cap for 2019, something would have had to give.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Taj you seem pretty certain we have no money spare - Have you got some inside goss? Or just doing your own math. I can't see where the money would be going by what we have signed vs who we have lost. For example even if Luke was meant to go, that money would have been going somewhere. But we have only signed 1 NRL player in Ah Mau, and Mannerings money would easily cover him. There's always front loaded/back loaded deals around, but only inside knowledge would know of that.

"There could be a bit of a shakeup in some places and if that happens, it will leave us reasonably well place if we felt like we wanted to make a move." - B Smith

That quote basically says we have cash up our sleeve to snag someone potentially mid season next year.

Top Bottom