General Warriors ride their Luck

Skinny_Ravs82

www.stuff.co.nz

Michael Luck came to the Warriors from the Cowboys to play open, running football.

When the in-goal is covered with deep puddles and the midfield is a complete quagmire, that style of play is never going to be on offer, but the doughty Luck wouldn't have minded the Auckland weather last night, with his first try for the club guiding it to a dogged victory.

Luck aquaplaned on to a Grant Rovelli kick after 67 minutes to end a three-game Warriors losing streak and extend the Sharks' run of defeats to six - inflicting GBH on Cronulla's finals hopes.

Playing football was a difficult proposition after a day of incessant rain, and there was neither side was going to make a substantial advance on the 6-6 halftime scoreline.

The Sharks moved to 10-6 on the hour with a try from New Zealand A winger Luke Covell, but the Warriors regained the upper hand after that.

Luck's try after the Warriors bravely turned down the chance to kick at goal when they won a penalty within range.

It meant a win on his testimonial night for Awen Guttenbeil, and it was a shame more people did not turn up to honour his lengthy service to the club.

But it was perhaps understandable on a dismal night that the club registered a season-low gate of 4850.

Yet it must be extremely disheartening to club bosses who have battled to raise attendances.

They, at least, marked Guttenbeil's testimonial with a nice touch, sending the team out in especially designed grey jerseys with a striking moko-style pattern designed by artist Inia Taylor III.

The Warriors managed an encouraging start, deserving their seventh-minute 6-0 lead produced by Grant Rovelli's huge sidestep

The Sharks, however, were level 11 minutes later when a series of offloads took Cronulla close to the line, and Brett Kimmorley ran direct from first receiver to force his way across.

It stayed the same until after halftime, with the Warriors clearly feeling thwarted by referee Jason Robinson.

He warned fullback Brent Webb for persistent dissent and stand-in skipper Guttenbeil had plenty of chats with the official as little went the Warriors' way.

One of their three first-period penalties came courtesy of former Warrior Richard Villasanti, who gave away a play-the-ball offence within a minute of coming on for the Sharks on his return to Mt Smart.

But otherwise the Warriors saw little of the football as the half neared its conclusion, although sturdy defence weathered a Cronulla onslaught: the nearest the Sharks came to taking the lead was when winger Darren Albert climbed above his opposite, Manu Vatuvei, to pursue a Kimmorley kick but couldn't gather the ball to score despite three attempts.

Warriors (G Rovelli M Luck tries, T Martin 2 gls).
Sharks (B Kimmorley L Covell tries, Covell gl).
Ht: 6-6.

commonsense_old

when it comes to value for money, michael luck has been the best buy in the nrl for as long as i remember.

danco_old

reliable, solid. not fancey.a good all round player whom you dont notice but gets the job done.

Jesbass_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
The Sharks moved to 10-6 on the hour with a try from New Zealand A winger Luke Covell, but the Warriors regained the upper hand after that.

I agree that Luck has proven to be a sensational buy, but it irks me when journalists get their facts wrong. At no point in the match was the score ever 10-6.

Skinny_Ravs82

lol didn't realise till you pointed that out! Well Ravs scored so that was happy points for me! ;)

sebastian_old

Yes i must agree, value for money he has been. I havn't been his biggest fan but when way up the money v.s performances, hes a valuble asset.