TeamList [2023, Finals Week 1] - Penrith Vs Warriors

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

Haven't applied for dispensation.

I don't buy into the "don't throw him to the wolves" theory.
He's 21, played 3? Seasons of NSW cup, and has 5 first grade games to his name.
If he has been dragged during the Sharks game, and not played well in the other 4, then I view it as Webster not rating him. Doesn't bode well for 2025 imo

One thing I find odd is that if it is serious enough to put him in doubt for the following week then why he is even making the trip?

Just seeing him walking through the airport and onto the plane etc., he’d be getting a few unnecessary steps in

I appreciate there is a balance between fully resting and putting an injury under some load to make it heal but I would’ve thought in this initial stage so soon following the injury it is whole lot of Rest and Ice.
He probably injured it on the private jet

His calves wouldn't have been used to all the leg room!

Webby and the Jets - Inside the Warriors’ private plane​

View attachment 431
The private jet used by the Warriors to fly to Sydney for their NRL qualifying final against the Penrith Panthers on Saturday night is the same type of aircraft preferred by US rapper Travis Scott.

As first reported by the NZ Herald, the Warriors have spared no expense to ensure their travel to Sydney is seamless, chartering a private air service. It’s a move that is almost unprecedented in club history, though there were some similar arrangements made in 2002 when the club reached the grand final for the first time.

Chief executive Cameron George has given fans an insight into the travel arrangements via Instagram.

The travel comes at considerable expense - at least four times the cost of using a commercial flight - but George is adamant the cost is justified. It’s also a sign of the lengths the club is prepared to go to ensure an optimal preparation.

View attachment 432

Boarding a plane of this nature is not done in the conventional manner. Swissport Executive Aviation provides airport ground services at Auckland Airport and has a Fixed Base Operator which is authorised to offer services for business jets and wide-body aircraft. In this case, we’re talking business jets.

The jet in question is an Embraer E190 from Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica. With a length of 32.6 metres and wing span of 28.7m, this is not a small plane by any standards. An average cruise speed of 829km/h should have the team touching down in Sydney in just over two and a half hours.

The ease of embarking and disembarking will shave considerable time at either end, meaning the Warriors’ preparation is hampered as little as possible.

Auckland-Sydney is a 2,155km journey and the Embraer’s range on one tank comes in at 4,537km, meaning they could in theory do the round trip on one tank.

Rugby league sides are generally full of large bodies - the Warriors are no different. A plane carrying the likes of Addin Fonua-Blake, Tohu Harris and Mitch Barnett ought to have capacity for a serious payload. The Embraer does. Its capacity sits at a hefty 13,063kg, which should be plenty to carry the precious players, coaches and cargo across the Tasman.

I get the master plan now. They are not going to be asking for a dispensation for Ronnie, BUT instead for Stacey. $5.60 great odds

One thing I find odd is that if it is serious enough to put him in doubt for the following week then why he is even making the trip?

Just seeing him walking through the airport and onto the plane etc., he’d be getting a few unnecessary steps in

I appreciate there is a balance between fully resting and putting an injury under some load to make it heal but I would’ve thought in this initial stage so soon following the injury it is whole lot of Rest and Ice.

Sounds like the club were hoping it would track right in a very short window of time and it didn't.

If he has been dragged during the Sharks game, and not played well in the other 4, then I view it as Webster not rating him. Doesn't bode well for 2025 imo

It's really fkn strange

Walker and Egan are so much more effective in their natural position, it would be a double negative moving either to 7, and Te Maire needs to spend the time with the left edge.

Also, none of them have any long kicking game of note

Could it be mind games from Webby saying Volkman won't play?? getting the Panthers wondering what we plan on doing with Walker at 7, but sike, we put in a last-minute request for Volkman to be brought in

It made sense when Walker played 3 weeks over Volkman at 6, but a one-off at 7 should be Volkman every day of the week imo, but wtf do I know lol

Leading into a finals game was stressful as is.. the 24 hour team cannot come soon enough

If Volkman wasn't in the long term plan he would be released, I mean we got rid of Vailea, no way we would waste learning time on Volkman if he has no future.
You have to remember Webster knows exactly how Ivan would behave towards the naming of a Junior in a final.
The pressure of having to fill Shaun Johnsons shoes is immense, none of us saw how Volkman was after getting the shit Dolphins assignment.

What if Volkman was down after that crap 'opportunity' to lead a team of B graders to the slaughter. No one could blame him if that game knocked the confidence out of him.

Webby might be down on Volkman after his performance last week, seemed to rush things trying to get a trick play instead of building pressure, I can't fault him though as we were getting dominated in the middle so who knows.
Maybe just wants a calmer head.

If Volkman wasn't in the long term plan he would be released, I mean we got rid of Vailea, no way we would waste learning time on Volkman if he has no future.
You have to remember Webster knows exactly how Ivan would behave towards the naming of a Junior in a final.
The pressure of having to fill Shaun Johnsons shoes is immense, none of us saw how Volkman was after getting the shit Dolphins assignment.

What if Volkman was down after that crap 'opportunity' to lead a team of B graders to the slaughter. No one could blame him if that game knocked the confidence out of him.

I dont disagree. So much that we don't know here.

Only additional thought is that we now have 5 halves for next year and the David Long articles suggested Volkman was the likely odd man out. And there have been articles floating around about Volkman being looked at by Super League clubs.

If Volkman is not the first choice to replace an injured Johnson it is strange they played him last week. Maybe he played his way out with his performance against the Dolphins? I still have major concerns about the kicking game but in WWW we trust

As mentioned previously, TMM has been training at 7 , with Walker outside him.

TMM has never played at 7 previously.

I’m sure they’ve got a plan around kicking. Lucky Pompey has been our goal kicker over the past few weeks.

I assume Bunty comes onto the bench. I would be very tempted to switch Siro for Lussick, I really like Lussick's ability to slow the ruck down and it does give Egan the chance to jump into 6 if needed.

Or the other change which would be more out of the box is TT to the bench so that we have some spark.

Did Up The Wahs suddenly become Up The Wahzoo?!

I see no reason to or benefit gained from Webby foxing around with selecting Volkman. I'd say he's 0% chance of playing unless someone else falls over before game time.

If I was going to use Volkman in a game like this, he'd replace Walker on the interchange.

I'm thinking either Walker or Lussick comes in at this point.

Last edited:
Back