General Warriors & Queens B'day Honours

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Congrats to two folk with Warriors connections who have been recognised by the Crown ...

Sir John Kirwan - Ex AB legend and also played with the Warriors. Has also done a lot of work with Mental health. I thought he was actually not a bad player when he finally switched. His family has connections to RL and his cousin is Mark Graham

Dean Lonergan - Ex Kiwi and Warriors Board member and Marketer ... QSM (I think). Has handed over a lot of money for charity

Well done guys!

Reaction score
smac19

smac19

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Sir JK....The master at grabbing the jersey and flinging the player into touch...cant remember eva seeing him do a front on tackle

good on em wit the mental health work he's acheived

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Really, you can get a knighthood for that? Not knocking what he has done but a couple of tv ads is hardly making the world a better place. Knighthoods, if I believed in them should be for a lifetime of hard work and generosity eg The Butcher, hell he has only been doing the depression thing for a few years. Oh well good luck to him if it gets the free stuff like his son said.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I've spent a couple of decades working with people recovering from mental Illness.

I'm glad they recognised Mental health on some level.

As far as kirwan goes , maybe he hasn't done the day in day out stuff in the mental health field , but the biggest problem in mental health is the stigma and shame the people have to deal with , once they get labeled life gets that much harder.

Mental health needed a Knight in shinning Armor , someone with an un questionable high profile that had been a hero for many an average Joe.
A star All Black fits that Role.

Kirwan risked his privacy / personal life and the Legend he built as a sportsman by fronting up.

In directly it saves Lives when young men can look at a kirwan and realise there is hope.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Agree JK deserves to be recognised, but Knighthoods are bullshit. So medieval...we dont do class/rank/title in NZ.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but a knighthood, an honorable mention may be.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
A Merit badge perhaps ? lol

On the knighthood thing......yeah its a bit of an anachronism , I don't like calling people Sir unless they are tipping me in hundred dollar bills.....other wise in this day and age ' Sir ' is outside of it's temporal domain bro.

Reaction score
smac19

smac19

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
On the knighthood thing......yeah its a bit of an anachronism , I don't like calling people Sir unless they are tipping me in hundred dollar bills.....other wise in this day and age ' Sir ' is outside of it's temporal domain bro.[/quote]

Sir kaka only term i know

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Is this the closest rugby league will get to a knighthood in New Zealand? I can't think of any rugby league knights in New Zealand other than Peter Leech who is only in the very widest sense a rugby league knight.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
look i know ive had mental health issues for years now, but no one is giving me a gong. Also ive been out of NZ for a bit now, but last i remember didnt they do away with all the British gongs and create Kiwi ones. So how does he get a Knighthood?

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
National bought back the Knights and Dames and oh gee what a freakin coincidence Michael Cullen - who's done F All - gets a Knighthood and, apparantly, he was anti Labour dumping the honours system but was outvoted. I don't respect Cullen much anyhow but would respect him a little bit if he'd refused it or said he didn't want to be called Sir Michael.

I know it sounds and looks old fashioned as hell, but how else do you acknowledge someone's contribution - and bear in mind people have to agree to being so acknowledged so it frankly comes across as a bit of a "Look at me! I'm great!" thing.

gREVUS, unfortunately you don't get a gong for just hardening up and getting on with it. That's not exciting and dramatic enough for television.

Reaction score

Buck777

I think they're fine. My only thing is if you stuff up they should be taken off a person for things like criminal behavior. Someone like Doug Graham.

Top Bottom