General Warriors & Queens B'day Honours

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Congrats to two folk with Warriors connections who have been recognised by the Crown ...

Sir John Kirwan - Ex AB legend and also played with the Warriors. Has also done a lot of work with Mental health. I thought he was actually not a bad player when he finally switched. His family has connections to RL and his cousin is Mark Graham

Dean Lonergan - Ex Kiwi and Warriors Board member and Marketer ... QSM (I think). Has handed over a lot of money for charity

Well done guys!

smac19

smac19

Sir JK....The master at grabbing the jersey and flinging the player into touch...cant remember eva seeing him do a front on tackle

good on em wit the mental health work he's acheived

surfin

surfin

Really, you can get a knighthood for that? Not knocking what he has done but a couple of tv ads is hardly making the world a better place. Knighthoods, if I believed in them should be for a lifetime of hard work and generosity eg The Butcher, hell he has only been doing the depression thing for a few years. Oh well good luck to him if it gets the free stuff like his son said.

Sup42

Sup42

I've spent a couple of decades working with people recovering from mental Illness.

I'm glad they recognised Mental health on some level.

As far as kirwan goes , maybe he hasn't done the day in day out stuff in the mental health field , but the biggest problem in mental health is the stigma and shame the people have to deal with , once they get labeled life gets that much harder.

Mental health needed a Knight in shinning Armor , someone with an un questionable high profile that had been a hero for many an average Joe.
A star All Black fits that Role.

Kirwan risked his privacy / personal life and the Legend he built as a sportsman by fronting up.

In directly it saves Lives when young men can look at a kirwan and realise there is hope.

Reactions: Boats n Hoes
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Agree JK deserves to be recognised, but Knighthoods are bullshit. So medieval...we dont do class/rank/title in NZ.

Sup42

Sup42

A Merit badge perhaps ? lol

On the knighthood thing......yeah its a bit of an anachronism , I don't like calling people Sir unless they are tipping me in hundred dollar bills.....other wise in this day and age ' Sir ' is outside of it's temporal domain bro.

smac19

smac19

On the knighthood thing......yeah its a bit of an anachronism , I don't like calling people Sir unless they are tipping me in hundred dollar bills.....other wise in this day and age ' Sir ' is outside of it's temporal domain bro.[/quote]

Sir kaka only term i know

Kaizen

Kaizen

Is this the closest rugby league will get to a knighthood in New Zealand? I can't think of any rugby league knights in New Zealand other than Peter Leech who is only in the very widest sense a rugby league knight.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
look i know ive had mental health issues for years now, but no one is giving me a gong. Also ive been out of NZ for a bit now, but last i remember didnt they do away with all the British gongs and create Kiwi ones. So how does he get a Knighthood?

mrblonde

mrblonde

National bought back the Knights and Dames and oh gee what a freakin coincidence Michael Cullen - who's done F All - gets a Knighthood and, apparantly, he was anti Labour dumping the honours system but was outvoted. I don't respect Cullen much anyhow but would respect him a little bit if he'd refused it or said he didn't want to be called Sir Michael.

I know it sounds and looks old fashioned as hell, but how else do you acknowledge someone's contribution - and bear in mind people have to agree to being so acknowledged so it frankly comes across as a bit of a "Look at me! I'm great!" thing.

gREVUS, unfortunately you don't get a gong for just hardening up and getting on with it. That's not exciting and dramatic enough for television.

Buck777

I think they're fine. My only thing is if you stuff up they should be taken off a person for things like criminal behavior. Someone like Doug Graham.