General Warriors preparing plan B for 2021

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
not quite, SA are talking of letting us in but then we still have to do 14 days in iso before we are allowed out into the general public.
so still most of the country hates us. but i think NSW has more cases atm.
It’s a weird one with NSW 95% of cases are from overseas in hotel quarantine so generally reported “cases“ aren’t actually out in the community, most of Aus is pretty low now. NSW premier mentioned announced on Vic border likely this week.
Went interstate to SA last week for the first time since COVID struck, was I guess a mini customs type thing off the plane where you had to show border pass and answer the usual “have you had symptoms”, “ have you been to Vic last 14 days” sorta thing. Still relatively painless

Reactions: bruce and Akkerz

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
It’s a weird one with NSW 95% of cases are from overseas in hotel quarantine so generally reported “cases“ aren’t actually out in the community, most of Aus is pretty low now. NSW premier mentioned announced on Vic border likely this week.
Went interstate to SA last week for the first time since COVID struck, was I guess a mini customs type thing off the plane where you had to show border pass and answer the usual “have you had symptoms”, “ have you been to Vic last 14 days” sorta thing. Still relatively painless
yea, i think if we keep hittimg zeros, well be free very soon, with no isolation required when travelling. were on day 5, but a long way to go to get to 14

Reactions: bruce and matiunz

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
I wonder what 2021 brings for the Warriors.. Another year of terrible refs that shaft the Warriors? Watching the ABs game last night with an Aussie ref just reminded me what the Warriors put up with week after week in the NRL. Just shows that Australian's don't just cheat in Cricket, their officials cheat too ... All Aussies are cheats !

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I think this is a good thing, players are forced to live and breath the game. This has always been what separates us from the elite sides like Melbourne. Plus less travel. As long as they can get their families over there also. On the flipside, we likely miss out on recruiting kiwis that want to return home (i.e who knows how this would effect Tohu’s negotiations or a potential Hughes signing)

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Rugby league: NRL boss Peter V'landys planning for 'normal' 2021 season

NRL boss Peter V'landys has predicted a "normal NRL season" for teams next year - free of Coivd-19 restrictions.

Speaking on 1170 SEN Breakfast, V'landys said he believed a tournament bubble was unlikely to be in place for 2021.

"We're going to go back to normal next season," he said.

"We've experienced COVID, we know how to handle COVID, and I don't think the protocols will be as strict."

But the Warriors won't be so lucky.

CEO Cameron George said as long as New Zealand's borders remained shut, what's "normal" for Australia won't mean "normal" for the Kiwis.

"From our perspective, what's normal in the eyes of the Australian based clubs isn't necessarily normal for the New Zealand Warriors because of the international restrictions," he said.

"It won't be normal for our club unless the borders are open, we still have to play in Australia but I share in their optimism and hope and pray for our fans that we can play in New Zealand and the borders open."

The Warriors haven't ruled out the possibility of a trans-Tasman bubble being formed before the season commences, but if border restrictions remain in place by mid this month, the team will split into two groups for pre-Christmas training.

One squad would be based in Australia while the other stays in New Zealand.

If the borders are still shut by January 4, the New Zealand squad will join their teammates in Australia and propose a three-block time period to the Australian Rugby League Commission.

George said should that be the case next season, family members of players without Australian connections would at least be allowed to travel.

"Families are permitted which is a huge benefit for our playing group," he said. "It's the fact that we can't come back without quartine which prevents us from being based in New Zealand.

"Families will be joining us and our players and staff are very happy with that."

Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Sounds like from our point of view the side will just have a bit more freedom while in Australia.

The travel bubble could help but there hasn't been any definite details for entering New Zealand yet. It could also be closed pretty quickly if an outbreak occurs which would throw things into dissarray.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
If the Warriors can play March to May in Australia and then the majority of the games in NZ after May, travel fatigue shouldn’t be an issue when we okay in the GF

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
I wonder what 2021 brings for the Warriors.. Another year of terrible refs that shaft the Warriors? Watching the ABs game last night with an Aussie ref just reminded me what the Warriors put up with week after week in the NRL. Just shows that Australian's don't just cheat in Cricket, their officials cheat too ... All Aussies are cheats !
Nathan Brown has some sway in the media over here, much like Gus does. I think we’ll find that any poor decisions will be played out in the media, forcing the referees hand

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Rugby league: New Zealand Warriors prepared for whatever scenario 2021 NRL season throws at them, says CEO Cameron George

For the Warriors, 2021 will be another year of rolling with the punches.

The Covid-19 pandemic has dictated the movements of the club since it set in earlier this year, eventually seeing them relocate to Australia's Central Coast to play out the season.

The club is preparing to face a similar scenario next year despite hopes of returning to Mt Smart Stadium before the season is up, with no indication that a transtasman travel bubble will be established soon.

At the moment, the Warriors will have one pre-season trial match against the Gold Coast Titans in Queensland, before staying in Australia to commence the season, but have plans in place for a number of scenarios.

"We've got a plan, it's just the trigger points that are before us now," Warriors chief executive Cameron George said. "Our plans are subject to the borders being open or closed by early December.

"So, with that in mind we've got plan A and plan B, and whichever one we need to undertake on the basis that the borders are shut or open, we just want to get some certainty and clarity and work towards that."

They are yet to determine where they will be based if they are forced to uproot to Australia for the start of the season, though George said they were looking at establishing a number of options for setting up base, including Redcliffe in Queensland.

However, at this stage, a base in Redcliffe would subject the club to some domestic border issues, causing problems traveling between Queensland and New South Wales.

“Whatever we do and wherever we go will be in the best interests of the team and their welfare, allowing them to live as normal as possible."

Last season, there was plenty said about the struggles of the team being away from home for as long as they were. While some players and staff were able to have their families join them inside the Warriors bubble, others had to go about four months without seeing their loved ones.

However, George was confident it would be different in 2021 and said the playing group and staff had been tremendous around the idea of possibly spending another season in Australia.

"The difference between this year and next season is, at this point in time, families are permitted into Australia so the stress levels of all of us are not what they were this year with the sacrifice the boys had to make away from their families. So, with that being permitted at this point in time there's a lot less pressure in the decision to go to Australia or not."

It will be a new-look Warriors team that fronts for the 2021 season, with new head coach Nathan Brown at the helm and a number of exciting signings joining the fold including Tongan props Addin Fonua-Blake and Ben Murdoch-Masila. Most recently, the Warriors announced the signing of 23-year-old second rower Bayley Sironen.

Sironen joins the club from South Sydney until the end of the 2023 campaign.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I'll believe it when I leave the stadium after a game. As it stands right now this is just wishful thinking that isnt even close to being realised. Its actually beyond wishful thinking. Its fanciful fiction...

Reactions: Akkerz

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I'll believe it when I leave the stadium after a game. As it stands right now this is just wishful thinking that isnt even close to being realised. Its actually beyond wishful thinking. Its fanciful fiction...
I’m with MtWelly on this one. I don’t think the question is whether there will be any games at Mt Smart but whether we’re based out off the Central Coast or Redcliffe next season. Pretty sure the club‘s preference would be Redcliffe but that would depend on whether QLD has any border restrictions with other states.

Reactions: Akkerz

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I’m with MtWelly on this one. I don’t think the question is whether there will be any games at Mt Smart but whether we’re based out off the Central Coast or Redcliffe next season. Pretty sure the club‘s preference would be Redcliffe but that would depend on whether QLD has any border restrictions with other states.
Announced last night QLD opening to rest of NSW Dec 1 and Vic a few days later- think WA is the only hold out left now- But a few cases changes things pretty quickly

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Announced last night QLD opening to rest of NSW Dec 1 and Vic a few days later- think WA is the only hold out left now- But a few cases changes things pretty quickly
It only takes a security guard to sleep with a few in quarantine (VIC) or an idiot to say he was a shopper and not a worker at a pizza shop (SA) for things to change.

Reactions: matiunz and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The vaccines are going to make a big difference but unlikely before late next year.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings