Rumour Warriors Player Movements, Re-signings, and Rumour Mill: 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. You serious? Konrad Hurrell isn't an NRL class player? I was out with a bunch of lads last night and they all said to a man if there was one Warrior they'd want it'd be Konrad Hurrell.

THey've both done the crime and now done the time, lets see if they learn from that episode. I dare say they will.
How many rounds is the NRL ?

Twenty six or Twenty.

Jury's out two years running.

Lets see what class that fullah has round one 2015

Exciting player.

But if You're not cutting twenty six rounds you're not a full time NRL capable player aye.

Last edited:
Erm, yes its a 26 round comp... but do we also cut blokes down who get injured? Konrad will do more in 20 games than a lot of players will do in 2-3 seasons. Lets not tall-poppy the bloke.

If you had have said he hasn't shown himself to be a model professional so far, I would agree. To say he's not NRL class is simply not correct. If he's not NRL class we will see that when his next contract comes up that he won't be in high demand... which of course will not be the case.

Injury and what Hurrell does every off season have nothing to do with each other.

Really there is a lot of talk about Hurrell and Laumape being our future.

They should be. Based on their mental make up to date i think the Warriors need someone else.

Someone where those players aren't all there is to bank on till proved otherwise.

I can't overlook that preseason and the offseason is part of being an NRL player.

Two centers out in round one is bad news man....is there a less reliable combination of centers in the NRL to plan a campaign around ?

I dunno can't think of any. Probably isn't in Superleague or NSW cup or the Sharman

Last edited:
Reactions: tangalife and Nahz
Phil Gould reckons it takes at least three pre seasons before the average player can physically handle the demands of a full nrl season- guys like benry, seb and Shaun Johnson are just starting to look comfortable now- hurrell and laumape are still prob a year away- scary thought for the opposition.

Hurrells had 3 preseasons bluey was his first then two under elliot
correct. I got him down for one reasonable pre season under Bluey even though all accounts are that preseason wasn't too hard to look up to speed in but it counts.

If he has had one good preseason he has two to go ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Defence and DANZ
Konnie is still only a kid with no real history in league and is now into his third season playing in the toughest comp in the world, and without doubt one of the hardest blokes to stop in the NRL, he's developing a very good passing game and has multiple try assists under his belt, that combined with a defensive game that continues to improve. He is every bit a top class NRL player. I also think last years end of season (as in WC) and being part of a Tongan squad that may have had a bit too much fun contributed to the way he came back into the squad, but to me there is no doubt that since his time in the naughty corner he has shown a willingness to put in the effort. The pile of battered and broken bodies he has left in his wake is proof of that. I'm ok with the Brad Fittler style of training if the damage is being done on game day.

Hurrell will probably finish the season as the Warriors best player. In this form he is close to it, between him and Johnson for mine.

I can't wait to see what shape he is in next year. That's the acid test for me.

One difference between Hurrell and Fitler ways is Fittler played the games he was paid for.

Best insurance for Hurrell and Laumape imo is to sign someone like Matai.....shape or go home material.

Reactions: DANZ
Matai will not save us
and our structures are different to those of manly
he is a different player for the kiwis and a different player for manly
have faith in our nuggets

Hurrell is a tank , Laumape still playing safe footy . good on him
All good.

Look our boys don't even know our style yet....they are yet to play consistently in a position with a wing partner.

I'm over the faith bro. No joke. Burnt out from having faith and waiting for potential.

I want a insurance policy....a bought one.

Far Away Fan

Hurrell will probably finish the season as the Warriors best player. In this form he is close to it, between him and Johnson for mine.

I can't wait to see what shape he is in next year. That's the acid test for me.

One difference between Hurrell and Fitler ways is Fittler played the games he was paid for.

Best insurance for Hurrell and Laumape imo is to sign someone like Matai.....shape or go home material.

Sup, why not wait and see how he is at the start of the 2015 season, eh? Give the guy a break, mun! He's been slagged off on here over and over and over for being overweight at the start of this season and the one before.

Yes, he let everyone down. But with his standard of play, he's bloody easy to forgive.

You know as well as everyone else that he is - arguably - the best player in the team. I don't think there'd be one coach in the NRL who would say no to Konrad joining his side. Because, and you know this be true, he will in a season or so be the best all-round centre we have ever had, and then some. Is there a better centre right now in the NRL? Probably not.

[and before Hitman as mod gets excited, yes, sorry, discussion of that is worthy of a whole new thread.]

Sup, why not wait and see how he is at the start of the 2015 season, eh? Give the guy a break, mun! He's been slagged off on here over and over and over for being overweight at the start of this season and the one before.

Yes, he let everyone down. But with his standard of play, he's bloody easy to forgive.

You know as well as everyone else that he is - arguably - the best player in the team. I don't think there'd be one coach in the NRL who would say no to Konrad joining his side. Because, and you know this be true, he will in a season or so be the best all-round centre we have ever had, and then some. Is there a better centre right now in the NRL? Probably not.

[and before Hitman as mod gets excited, yes, sorry, discussion of that is worthy of a whole new thread.]
Fair call bro I was just stirring the pot in the bye week to be fair.

I love Hurrrell. Seriously the dude is a monster.

I think the Warriors would be well served to offer a threat to his position. I really believe in this KPI forced environment.

For mine the perfect solution would be to have four centers playing well.

Anyone who lets up gets dropped......and here is where I am really coming from with Hurrell and Laumape versus bringing in other centers as well.........the replacements for these guys shouldn't put us in a position where we lose points on the table ever again.

I don't want to rely on what mood these kids are in for an NRL campaign , I think this is a fundamental example of where the Warriors development club mentality has hurt them 2012 - 2013 -2014

When do folk think it is reasonable to change that local reliance mindset.

Injury and what Hurrell does every off season have nothing to do with each other.

Really there is a lot of talk about Hurrell and Laumape being our future.

They should be. Based on their mental make up to date i think the Warriors need someone else.

Someone where those players aren't all there is to bank on till proved otherwise.

I can't overlook that preseason and the offseason is part of being an NRL player.

Two centers out in round one is bad news man....is there a less reliable combination of centers in the NRL to plan a campaign around ?

I dunno can't think of any. Probably isn't in Superleague or NSW cup or the Sharman
You are taking your point to the extreme. I'm not even sure Ngani had played centre for a full game at first grade level before round 1 this year. He is not the repeat offender that Konrad is. He put on weight during one off-season. If he does it again at the end of this year, then by all means, lump him with Konrad, but don't imply he wasn't playing centre in first grade because of his off-season. Neilson was ALWAYS going to play round one. Ngani has only had a few appearances at centre so far, and all of them after Neilson's fall from grace. Not because he lost weight.

In response to your final question, I would have to say EVERY centre pairing in the NRL in round one were a less reliable/more reliable combination, as Ngani and Konrad hadn't even been paired together yet (thusly, impossible to rate).

Last edited:
You are taking your point to the extreme. I'm not even sure Ngani had played centre for a full game at first grade level before round 1 this year. He is not the repeat offender that Konrad is. He put on weight during one off-season. If he does it again at the end of this year, then by all means, lump him with Konrad, but don't imply he wasn't playing centre in first grade because of his off-season. Neilson was ALWAYS going to play round one. Ngani has only had a few appearances at centre so far, and all of them after Neilson's fall from grace. Not because he lost weight.

In response to your final question, I would have to say EVERY centre pairing in the NRL in round one were a less reliable/more reliable combination, as Ngani and Konrad hadn't even been paired together yet (thusly, impossible to rate).
The reason they weren't paired together in first grade is they proved too unreliable to be ready for selection in first grade come round one....I would have thought that is self evident.

I never intended to imply Ngani was not playing center due to being unfit...lets qualify that comment then and remove loop holes for semantics....lets say a less reliable up and coming pair of development players in the NRL that could be paying center.

Yes it is an extreme view nig. That's the point it is the bye round and there is little to talk about....playing devils advocate here......taking on the popularist view that we are sweet in the centers for next year....bollocks I say based on past evidence....flakey at best.

The reason they weren't paired together in first grade is they proved too unreliable to be ready for selection in first grade come round one....I would have thought that is self evident.

I never intended to imply Ngani was not playing center due to being unfit...lets qualify that comment then and remove loop holes for semantics....lets say a less reliable up and coming pair of development players in the NRL that could be paying center.

Yes it is an extreme view nig. That's the point it is the bye round and there is little to talk about....playing devils advocate here......taking on the popularist view that we are sweet in the centers for next year....bollocks I say based on past evidence....flakey at best.
Some ridiculous points raised there.

The reason they weren't paired together in round one was plain and simple. Ngani was only injury cover at that point, and was not needed. I would have to take the 9s selection as another nail in the coffin of your argument. They were OK to play 9s but were not fit for NRL. Sure, fitness is different for both formats, but the reason they weren't selected (forgetting Ngani was never a chance at the point anyway), was because they were out of shape AND we had other (and possibly more preferred) options that were selected.

How could you rate a pairing that had never existed, at the point you are talking about? I would actually say that a centre pairing of you and me would have been the most unreliable centre pairing in the history of the sport. For a start, I wouldn't even be making trainings, as I feel it is too far to travel every day. That is as legitimate a point as the one you made.

I know you enjoy picking a pointless argument and running with it for a while, but that single point has totally destroyed your whole case IMO.

Some ridiculous points raised there.

The reason they weren't paired together in round one was plain and simple. Ngani was only injury cover at that point, and was not needed.
Come on Nig

The reason they didn't play round one is neither player was fit for eighty minutes of NRL....that's well publicized.....neither player was fit to play in the NRL.

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Could we move this into the silly season hi-jinks thread or something? A valid argument in a boring bye week I'm sure, but I'd rather read about signings, departures and rumours here. ;)

I normally wouldn't care enough to post, but I always get excited when a new msg pops into this thread

Could we move this into the silly season hi-jinks thread or something? A valid argument in a boring bye week I'm sure, but I'd rather read about signings, departures and rumours here. ;)

I normally wouldn't care enough to post, but I always get excited when a new msg pops into this thread

Point taken fair call. Roger that.

With the talk of Tomkins not being happy.....if he were to up ship and go else where.....Fullback would get very interesting real quick.
We would be looking at a prayer that the Fish is fit for next year I'm guessing and the fans would be ready to riot over Lockes departure to Salford if things panned out that way,

i have not heard anymore about the Cronulla center rumored link to the Warriors...when I checked their forum....what I saw was a link to sportal where Ayshford was being released after ten weeks.....no mention of the Warriors in that piece whatsover.

Things have gone very quiet all of a sudden on our signings landscape.....it's not that players aren't being sought.....rather Dean Bells ' no no and no ' is playing out at our level now. Bukuya came like a bolt of lightening straight out of the blue.....I'm hoping some name is going to pop up in the same fashion. As it stands we have onty bagged Hoffman from a possible three players.

Far Away Fan

I only do it to get Hitman worked up. :D

Meanwhile ( to be on topic) there's a rumour that Kasiano is considering a big $$$ contract for four years with us.
More news soon. (*)

In the meantime, you might get more of this....... :sour:

(*) I may have just made that one up.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: Harlz and Sup42
Status
Not open for further replies.