Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im interested in your particular criticism of Roy Spencer and how your atmospheric meteorological research differs from his?

Spencer received a BS in atmospheric sciences from the University of Michigan in 1978 and his MS and PhD in meteorology from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1980 and 1982.[3] His doctoral thesis was titled, A case study of African wave structure and energetics during Atlantic transit.[5]

After receiving his PhD in 1982, Spencer worked for two years as a research scientist in the Space Science and Engineering Center at the University of Wisconsin–Madison.[3] He then joined NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center as a visiting scientist in 1984,[4] where he later became senior scientist for climate studies. After leaving NASA in 2001, Spencer has been a principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH). As well as his position at UAH, Spencer is currently the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA's Aqua satellite, a position he has held since 1994.[3]

In 2001, he designed an algorithm to detect tropical cyclones and estimate their maximum sustained wind speed using the Advanced Microwave Sounding Unit (AMSU).[6][7]

Spencer has been a member of several science teams: the Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) Space Station Accommodations Analysis Study Team, Science Steering Group for TRMM, TOVS Pathfinder Working Group, NASA Headquarters Earth Science and Applications Advisory Subcommittee, and two National Research Council (NRC) study panels.[3] He is on the board of directors of the George C. Marshall Institute,[8] and on the board of advisors of the Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation.[9]

Spencer's research work is funded by NASA, NOAA, DOE, and the DOT.[4] He also received money from Peabody Energy.
[10]
Nah, I'm good thanks Frank. But shouldn't this be in the climate change chat?

He works for the Heritage foundation

Which happens to be a part of the Atlas Network! :)

Last edited:
Because capital gains taxes don’t seem to have the results overseas claimed they would. Labour, under Helen Clark, wanted one to help make housing more affordable and reduce rents. Yet, Australia have had one since Keating introduced it and they’re still having a housing crisis and rent crisis. Others say that it will help reduce inequality but have First Nations living standards increased compared to other Australians?

There also the point that a Capital Gains Tax is more expensive to collect and administer than the likes of an Inheritance Tax, or PAYE or GST. This means more money would be absorbed by the IRD before it gets to the Treasury.

Think of it this way. A businessman is owed $1,000 each by two customers. A five minute phone call costs the businessman a few dollars of his time to collect the money in full later that day. The second person disputes the account, makes promises to pay and doesn’t, several emails and phone calls later and the businessman takes him to the Disputes Tribunal where he finally agrees to pay it in installments of $20 per week.

Eventually, the businessman receives $1,000 from both people but getting from one has taken a lot more effort and time (and money as while he’s trying to recover the money he can’t earn money from other clients) than the other client.

I also don’t think people realise that a CGT will reduce their KiwiSaver and other managed funds balance as a CGT will impact their returns as a large portion of that is made up from the gain in value in shares…. and that gain will be taxed. At the moment, it’s only things like interest and dividends received which are taxed.

That said, one day a form of tax on wealth (either a wealth tax or CGT) will be introduced. Like I said the other day, both politicians and the public’s greed means it won’t be done what I consider the best way… a combination of inheritance tax and gift duty.
In the UK it is the responsibility of property agents who are conducting the sale of property to ensure CGT is paid within a certain time period after completion. Maybe 30 days. CGT on other sales would be harder to capture, but the sale of housing is pretty well regulated already, so maybe this would work. They also have a stamp duty regime so value is captured on the buyers side too….

Would get some decent coin from the central Otago region. There are SD exemptions ie first home under 600k.

He works for the Heritage foundation
Bro what? He’s a visiting fellow. A position he has with like 50 organisations.

I’m starting to think you are disingenuous rather than someone seeking information.

Edit. Your assertions are bordering on delusional. Is NASA part of the Atlas network?

As well as his position at UAH, Spencer is currently the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA's Aqua satellite, a position he has held since 1994.[3]

Bro what? He’s a visiting fellow. A position he has with like 50 organisations.

I’m starting to think you are disingenuous rather than someone seeking information.

Edit. Your assertions are bordering on delusional. Is NASA part of the Atlas network?

As well as his position at UAH, Spencer is currently the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA's Aqua satellite, a position he has held since 1994.[3]
Read what I said. He works for the Heritage Foundation. The Heritage Foundation is part of the Atlas Network.

As seems to be the case I get things attributed to me that just aren't correct in these forums.

That was off a quick google. This isn't something I have enough time or space for unfortunately mate.

I realise I bring this on myself by posting stuff but spreading out into these areas takes time I just don't have or want to prioritise over other things today.

On the surface, I don't really have an opinion apart from while his qualifications and postings look great, his actions look a bit shady on the basis of a quick google.

I'm still going with man made climate change is real and it's happening.

I'm still going with man made climate change is real and it's happening.
How can there be any debate when you consider the fuels would never have come out of the ground if it weren’t for man made vehicles and transportation and pumped into our atmosphere? We can’t do without vehicles and transportation but that’s the reality of it

Last edited:
Read what I said. He works for the Heritage Foundation. The Heritage Foundation is part of the Atlas Network.
no actually he doesn’t. You deliberately misunderstand the nature of visiting fellows and the nature of his work. All to disparage his work that you don’t agree with, but aren’t smart enough to discredit.

I literally quoted where it says he developed satellite weather measuring for NASA and CONTINUES to work for them.

This is a microcosm of NZ politics. Lots of preconceptions and not enough IQ to challenge them.

What’s funnier, is that rusted on ideologues such as yourself are responsible for politicians such as Trump and Luxon. The push back from the voting public is nothing if not predictable.

“The retard pendulum swings both ways” - Frank White.

How can there be any debate when you consider the fuels would never have come out of the ground if it weren’t for vehicles and transportation and pumped into our atmosphere? We can’t do without vehicles and transportation but that’s the reality of it
Yeah it's a no win situation with those that refuse science. I'm out of this one, and it doesn't belong in the politics.

Frank, fume all you want, call me a retard, that's on you, but I've got better things to do than argue with those who are actively refusing to believe climate science and science in general, sorry.

You can't believe science unless you did it yourself because there are scientists on both sides saying the opposite. So really you are just picking a scientist to believe and hoping they are right.
All we know is that the climate is changing because we see it. I am not even sure if it is changing faster than previously as different scientists say different stuff on that too.
So in this time of disinformation, we are fucked either way.

You can't believe science unless you did it yourself because there are scientists on both sides saying the opposite. So really you are just picking a scientist to believe and hoping they are right.
All we know is that the climate is changing because we see it. I am not even sure if it is changing faster than previously as different scientists say different stuff on that too.
So in this time of disinformation, we are fucked either way.
Every year sets a new record as the hottest year

I get hotter every year.
1711158435458.jpeg

this your judge?

What’s even funnier MaybeTop8, is I’m probably closer politically to your core beliefs than you’d believe.

The failures of neoliberalism, the constraints of capitalism, the drivers of socioeconomic harms. You are just deaf to the cause and blind to the matching limitations of the left.

Loool. I’m quoting the guy who INVENTED the science of satellite temperature measurements. Can it get any more bizarre?!?
I think it’s like many things nowadays where we’re bombarded with so much misinformation that we need to make our own informed decisions on our own observations. Some comes from common sense like my initial post around fuel and man made vehicles pumping out emissions into our atmosphere regarding man made climate change but my own view is the earth has a cycle where it warms and cools and we’re in a period of it warming which could be in turn causing more erratic weather patterns? Man made contributions seems more around the air we breathe to which NZ was surveyed as one of the cleanest in recent days

What’s even funnier MaybeTop8, is I’m probably closer politically to your core beliefs than you’d believe.

The failures of neoliberalism, the constraints of capitalism, the drivers of socioeconomic harms. You are just deaf to the cause and blind to the matching limitations of the left.
I agree with all but the last sentence, but who knows you may be spot on.

Back