General Warriors option better than Hohaia and Fein ?

STRIDER_old

Guest
DMM made a comment about this guy, recokons perhaps the warriors should have a look at him. And after watching a few tapes of him ive got to agree.

Haden Karena the Waicoa bay's half back really looks like a real talented youg half back. And I believe he has alot more ability than Hohaia and Fein. Infact I must say in all the games I have viewed him he's seemed to be in total control. Does anybody know why he left the NQ Cowboys? because I believe he is NRL potential talent. I really really do suggest the warriors get this kid on their books. He could be our next REAL little general.

Also I must say Ive seen some shining lights in the Bartercard cup and I do believe withthe right training some could step up. Ive also been fairly impressed by giant prop Thomas Ufi. He really reminds me of a bigger Ieafeta Paleaaesina. Sam Rapira Looks a real talent to, Has some very good off loading skills.

Dean shepard looks like a live wire hooker. I like the look of John Tavanga centre for the rangers. A little bit aggresive but I reckon he could be smokey for an NRL side. Alot of talent out there for sure !!!

Hopefully Ackland and the warriors are spotting some of this talent. I believe Karena is a must for the warriors !!!!!
 

STRIDER_old

Guest
Please excuse my spelling mistake its actually John Tavaga. I must also say there is no shortage of outstanding proping prospects in New Zealand.
 

Skinner_old

Guest
STRIDER said:
Please excuse my spelling mistake its actually John Tavaga. I must also say there is no shortage of outstanding proping prospects in New Zealand.

It's ok STRIDER, you spelt it as it's pronounced.

As you say, good players, all of them you mention, plus many others,
but it's the old problem, unless the Warriors were to have a PL team,
then all these good players are going nowhere.

The luckier ones will be picked up by Aus and UK based clubs but the
others will play out their careers in Bartercard. Not being negative - it's
just the way it is at the moment.

Dean Shepherd is a very exciting and gutsy young hooker - but I'll bet
my boots he'll never play first grade for the Warriors. If, however, he
was a regular in a PL side (which he would be) then he'd be a real shot
at the top side......doesn't seem fair really.

Cheers
Skinner
 

STRIDER_old

Guest
Interesting stuff Skinner. Do you think with now Ackland playing a more prominent role with the Warriors and Bluey coaching the Auckland Franchise that some of these guys will gain opportunities with the Warriors? Or do you believe its still the old story of us missing some of the real talent such as Tame Tupou etc.

Also knowing you have a bit of knowledge of the local scene, whats your opinon of Karena, Tevaga and Charlie Waide? Could you see these guys making the step up to NRL? And who has caught your eye so far in the local league, Who would you scout?
 

MiXmasterreece_old

Guest
Skinner said:
STRIDER said:
Please excuse my spelling mistake its actually John Tavaga. I must also say there is no shortage of outstanding proping prospects in New Zealand.

It's ok STRIDER, you spelt it as it's pronounced.

As you say, good players, all of them you mention, plus many others,
but it's the old problem, unless the Warriors were to have a PL team,
then all these good players are going nowhere.

The luckier ones will be picked up by Aus and UK based clubs but the
others will play out their careers in Bartercard. Not being negative - it's
just the way it is at the moment.

Dean Shepherd is a very exciting and gutsy young hooker - but I'll bet
my boots he'll never play first grade for the Warriors. If, however, he
was a regular in a PL side (which he would be) then he'd be a real shot
at the top side......doesn't seem fair really.

Cheers
Skinner

Yup nail on the head there buddy.

At the moment theres no 'light at the end of the tunnel' for player playing in BC
 

danco_old

Guest
To promote local talent we need a reserve grade team like in the good old days, warriors have to spend the money but i dont think they will.remember when frank endiocott [excuse spelling] was reserve coach and how many grand finals did the reserve team play in?
 

Warrioraholic_old

Guest
Hohia hasnt even been given a shot in the number 7, he has allways been the back up to 7. I bet he would make alot of disbelievers stand up and say hes got the skills to be our 7. And the kiwi 7
 

Skinner_old

Guest
STRIDER said:
Interesting stuff Skinner. Do you think with now Ackland playing a more prominent role with the Warriors and Bluey coaching the Auckland Franchise that some of these guys will gain opportunities with the Warriors? Or do you believe its still the old story of us missing some of the real talent such as Tame Tupou etc.

Also knowing you have a bit of knowledge of the local scene, whats your opinon of Karena, Tevaga and Charlie Waide? Could you see these guys making the step up to NRL? And who has caught your eye so far in the local league, Who would you scout?

With the Acks / Bluey / Mt Albert (Auckland Central) tie up, I'm sure many
more young players will be given an opportunity than would have in the
past, say under Daniel. I am concerned though, that the pathway will
be very Mt Albert centric and good players at other franchises may be
over looked - I may be wrong and that's for John to watch out for.
The elite player base in this country is so large that it is inevitable that
some (perhaps many) will slip through the cracks. The other fact is that
the Warriors simply cannot sign everyone of them.

The players you mention could all make the step, providing they are
nurtured correctly, as could many more.

I see so many good youngsters in my travels around league in Auckland
that the ones I would scout are almost too numerous to mention. There
are many that don't even make NJC teams that show huge potential.

Cheers
 

Kaiaua krusher_old

Guest
Yeah I have seen Karena play also, but from reports last week, made some fundamental blues when Waicoa were in front.

To my mind of thinking the Warriors Coach makes his name by winning and not by trialing local talent, despite all the warm fuzzies from Cleary at the beginning of the year. Sure some local talent will make it but the crux of the matter is that in the current squad the key positions in the team are held by Australians. Coach Anderson tried to be visionary, but got shot down when he tried something different in the halves with a view to the future.

Gary Freemans article in yesterdays herald is spot on. The Bartercard competition is really only a holding pen for offshore raids by talent scouts -even Bluey isn't going to pick talent from there for the Kiwis. So where to for these guys, they either soldier on, go offshore or are lost to the code. That's life!

The Warriors can't and never will be able to hold onto all emerging talent - the trick is to keep the best and the Warriors should be grooming 9,6 and 7 from these resources. We have tonnes of quality local players who have made it in other positions and we can be thankful for that.
 

-Dr.J-_old

Guest
I've only seen Karena twice, but thought both times he seemed very talented. Doin' all sorts of stuff, long kicks to space, short kick and collects, cut outs, all very nicely. Seems to do a lot of commanding too.
 

L N_old

Guest
freemans article was spot on
so was ridgeys article a few weeks back

ando had a stake in both camps
and that was his main motivation
to supply quality halves pairing
and hooker
for team and country
a concept that had its merits
for both camps

as of the current positional quota now
1 out of our 3 players in question
from the warriors
could possibly front for the kiwis

and that 1 player in particular
would only get into the squad
because of obvious injuries

which tells you alot about our lack of depth
or at the very least
player availability in those crucial positions
not only for the warriors
but also equally importantly for the kiwis

surely all of the league heads
right across the board
from management on both boards

though they are
both individually separate entities

should get together
and work out the strategy
that will not only benefit each other as in....

management boards
individual coaches
assistant coaches
players

to enhance there prospective futures
within the professional game

be it long term or short term
in what ever capacity they all now reside in

but more so importantly
for the continuation of growth
that this great game
that we all share a kindred spirit for
so rightfully deserve

especially with our
1 and only window of NRL experience
the warriors.........

surely the warrior concept
is the manifestation
of creating the nucleus
for the future of this great game
and obviuosly flowing
and gaining momentum into the kiwis

i still cant believe
the mckey mouse act
that we as a current Tri Series Champions
(that has a nice ring dosen't it)

still have to put up with
to get all our players available

we rightfully deserve the upmost chance
to defend our mantle of no1 status in the world

granted injuries
are the curse of any professional athelete

but surely under development
and lack of nuturing player base
for the longevity of the game
nationally and internationally
is something that needs to be addressed

yes individual performances
are the mesaure of a professional
be it in
managemnt
coaching
or a player

but surely
the greater need of the game
needs to be addressed
especially with the historic momentum
that has been created from our national identity
the kiwis

you can be forgiven
for thinking within the warriors structure
as of now.........

there still seems to be
a separtion of the two
which to a degree.......should still stand

but obviously what
ando started

and freeman
ridgey and others
can seem to feel.....and see

seems to be just that
an elusive dream
that has yet to be realised

can we afford to let it lay dormant
or will we once again miss this great opportunity

to stand where we as a nation rightfully belong
in the front of this great game
on and off the feild
 

sebastian_old

Guest
The crazy thing is that we'll save money by nuturing these guys, especially the halves. Havles are almost always the most expensive players. Give these guys enough to live on & see what they got. Have our management ever heard of an INVESMENT.
 

L N_old

Guest
Skinner said:
WOW....another LN special.

Onya Nutter.

Cheers
Skinner

just returning the favour...........skinner
to everyone who frequently post here

though some can be more expressive then others
it counts for nothing really..........why

cause we ALL share
the one unique thing
that keeps bringing us ALL back here.......

the love we all share and have for

our TEAM......
and
our GAME.....
 

Skinner_old

Guest
L N said:
Skinner said:
WOW....another LN special.

Onya Nutter.

Cheers
Skinner

just returning the favour...........skinner
to everyone who frequently post here

though some can be more expressive then others
it counts for nothing really..........why

cause we ALL share
the one unique thing
that keeps bringing us ALL back here.......

the love we all share and have for

our TEAM......
and
our GAME.....

Love ya work LN, love ya work.

Skinner
 

Similar threads

Replies
8
Views
930
Jesbass_old
Replies
0
Views
931
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
9
Views
1K
-Dr.J-_old
Replies
43
Views
3K
fitzy_old
Replies
32
Views
2K
Fazz_old

Last Game

08 May

10 - 29
3.9 Total Avg Rating
2.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings