General Warriors official name discussion

Reaction score
janfin

janfin

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Why oh why do they keep calling us the NZWarriors when we ain't ,really bugs me and why the hell did we need a rant about the Voice and that interview that dipwit did on radio that morning Excuse me you are meant to be calling a game of league As for Wally and Fatty they are so passed their used by dates .Aussies eh..:(

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Why oh why do they keep calling us the NZWarriors when we ain't ,really bugs me and why the hell did we need a rant about the Voice and that interview that dipwit did on radio that morning Excuse me you are meant to be calling a game of league As for Wally and Fatty they are so passed their used by dates .Aussies eh..:(
Because that is the team name that is registered with the NRL

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Because that is the team name that is registered with the NRL

I'm pretty sure that we are technically solely "the Warriors". Whether there are a lot of incorrect references out there is another matter.

As for what the moron commentators call us, as far as i know it wasnt the Kiwis who were playing last night, so i have no idea why the words "New Zealand" got thrown around so much.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Our name is only the Vodafone Warriors at home. In Australia they play as the New Zealand Warriors, and it is also the registered name of the franchise. There is no way the Telstra Premiership would allow a competitor to get free advertising. Vodafone NZ are the sponsors of the Warriors, but Vodafone Australia would get the benefits and Telstra would possibly lose a few customers to Vodafone through the name being used all the time. It is the same with the "Jetstar Titans". Only called that at home.

I'm pretty sure that we are technically solely "the Warriors". Whether there are a lot of incorrect references out there is another matter.

As for what the moron commentators call us, as far as i know it wasnt the Kiwis who were playing last night, so i have no idea why the words "New Zealand" got thrown around so much.
Becaused that is our name. We are NOT the Warriors. Vodafone have the NZ naming rights in their sponsorship deal, but are unable to secure it in Australia. The teams correct name is New Zealand Warriors when playing in Australia, and the club is owned by the franchise-holder - New Zealand warriors.

Reaction score
janfin

janfin

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Point taken thanks ..so why can't they call us the NZWarriors instead of just NZ and sometimes dropping in the word Warriors Just bugs me :)

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Our name is only the Vodafone Warriors at home. In Australia they play as the New Zealand Warriors, and it is also the registered name of the franchise. There is no way the Telstra Premiership would allow a competitor to get free advertising. Vodafone NZ are the sponsors of the Warriors, but Vodafone Australia would get the benefits and Telstra would possibly lose a few customers to Vodafone through the name being used all the time. It is the same with the "Jetstar Titans". Only called that at home.

Becaused that is our name. We are NOT the Warriors. Vodafone have the NZ naming rights in their sponsorship deal, but are unable to secure it in Australia. The teams correct name is New Zealand Warriors when playing in Australia, and the club is owned by the franchise-holder - New Zealand warriors.

New Zealand Warriors Ltd, the incorporated company name, has nothing to do with what moniker the team plays under. Just like the number of changes to the Roosters or Bulldogs team names in recent years (Easts/Sydney City/Canterbury/Canterbury Bankstown/Bulldogs) are nothing to do with the underlying registered entity.

Interesting that the logo doesnt have the words "New Zealand" on it, or either the clubs Australian or New Zealand based website (warriors.co.nz and thewarriors.com.au). Also interesting how the NRL's official statistics source and database (https://live.nrlstats.com/nrl/index.html?refresh=1342230941002) refers to ALL the other clubs by their geographic location name, whereas we are just "Warriors". I never suggested that they are the Vodafone Warriors, but they're simply not the New Zealand Warriors. That was a short term move designed by Watson to drum up more interest around the country and bolster crowds/profile. It was quietly dropped some time ago.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
New Zealand Warriors Ltd, the incorporated company name, has nothing to do with what moniker the team plays under. Just like the number of changes to the Roosters or Bulldogs team names in recent years (Easts/Sydney City/Canterbury/Canterbury Bankstown/Bulldogs) are nothing to do with the underlying registered entity.

Interesting that the logo doesnt have the words "New Zealand" on it, or either the clubs Australian or New Zealand based website (warriors.co.nz and thewarriors.com.au). Also interesting how the NRL's official statistics source and database (https://live.nrlstats.com/nrl/index.html?refresh=1342230941002) refers to ALL the other clubs by their geographic location name, whereas we are just "Warriors". I never suggested that they are the Vodafone Warriors, but they're simply not the New Zealand Warriors. That was a short term move designed by Watson to drum up more interest around the country and bolster crowds/profile. It was quietly dropped some time ago.
Sorry, but I take what the NRL says over what you are saying. Take for example the nrl.com home page (please remember that this is the official website of the competition that the "Warriors", "New Zealand Warriors" or "Vodafone Warriors" play in). Right now it is showing the results and draw for this round. The team that played BRI (Brisbane) has been abbreviated to NZW. I'm not sure how you can get "The Warriors" from that abbreviation. I also note looking through the match reports, etc that The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs don't have their geographic location name in their logo either. They Currently have a small CB at the bottom though and the year the debuted. The Cowboys have no mention at all of where they are from, simply "Cowboys" and the Rabbitohs current logo has no words at all, just a picture of a rabbit. Mind you I can understand a logo not having the full team name as it is only a graphic representation of the team, not the team name.

And when I hover over the "Telstra Premiership" tab and click on the "club stats" tab it brings up a page of club stats listing each team (except Wests Tigers) by the non-geographic-related name. I also had a look at the site you listed, but can find nothing to state that this is the official stats site for the NRL. I also note that when you click on the Warriors logo (which takes you to www.warriors.co.nz the first 2 logos that appear on the page have Vodafone at the top of the logo while most of the other logos on the page do not. Also every single reference on the main page says Vodafone Warriors and Vodafone Junior Warriors and there is no reference at all to "The Warriors" (apart from references to the Dream Team comp). That confuses the situation more as you were basing part of your proof on the fact it only said Warriors on the logo, but now this could mean different. I also stumbled upon the clubs official Twitter account (it states at the top of the page it is the official account) which is called @NZ_Warriors

I agree that the franchise owners name has no bearing on the team name but the officially registered club name will have a direct bearing on their true name, though not on what people choose to call them.

There appears to be as many "official" places where the Warriors are listed as "New Zealand Warriors" as there are with simply "The Warriors". I will continue to believe my misguided facts until someone can provide genuine evidence that I am wrong.

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Sorry, but I take what the NRL says over what you are saying. Take for example the nrl.com home page (please remember that this is the official website of the competition that the "Warriors", "New Zealand Warriors" or "Vodafone Warriors" play in). Right now it is showing the results and draw for this round. The team that played BRI (Brisbane) has been abbreviated to NZW. I'm not sure how you can get "The Warriors" from that abbreviation. I also note looking through the match reports, etc that The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs don't have their geographic location name in their logo either. They Currently have a small CB at the bottom though and the year the debuted. The Cowboys have no mention at all of where they are from, simply "Cowboys" and the Rabbitohs current logo has no words at all, just a picture of a rabbit. Mind you I can understand a logo not having the full team name as it is only a graphic representation of the team, not the team name.

And when I hover over the "Telstra Premiership" tab and click on the "club stats" tab it brings up a page of club stats listing each team (except Wests Tigers) by the non-geographic-related name. I also had a look at the site you listed, but can find nothing to state that this is the official stats site for the NRL. I also note that when you click on the Warriors logo (which takes you to www.warriors.co.nz the first 2 logos that appear on the page have Vodafone at the top of the logo while most of the other logos on the page do not. Also every single reference on the main page says Vodafone Warriors and Vodafone Junior Warriors and there is no reference at all to "The Warriors" (apart from references to the Dream Team comp). That confuses the situation more as you were basing part of your proof on the fact it only said Warriors on the logo, but now this could mean different. I also stumbled upon the clubs official Twitter account (it states at the top of the page it is the official account) which is called @NZ_Warriors

I agree that the franchise owners name has no bearing on the team name but the officially registered club name will have a direct bearing on their true name, though not on what people choose to call them.

There appears to be as many "official" places where the Warriors are listed as "New Zealand Warriors" as there are with simply "The Warriors". I will continue to believe my misguided facts until someone can provide genuine evidence that I am wrong.
The debate around the club's official name seems to rear its ugly head every six months or so, though I'm not sure why. A quick check of the New Zealand Business Registry should clear things up pretty quickly.

On October 17th, 2000, company number 1090488 was registered in New Zealand under the name Cullen Sports Ltd.

This company, headed by Eric Watson, included the club we know as the Warriors, and although they rebranded themselves as the New Zealand Warriors - a marketing move designed to expand the supporter base to the rest of the country and also to pull in expats living in Australia - their registered name was still Cullen Sports Ltd.

This changed on January 19th, 2006, when the company was renamed Warriors League Ltd: https://tinyurl.com/6sbkwma

By that time, Vodafone had been the club's major sponsor longer than company 1090488 had been registered: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/about/sponsorship/warriors/

The club had been interchangeably referred to as the New Zesland Warriors and the Vodafone Warriors, but these were merely monikers at least and trading names at most.

It wasn't until October 29th, 2010 - less than two years ago - that company 1090488 became New Zealand Warriors Ltd, after amalgamating with two other companies, numbers 1354902 and 1072232 respectively: https://tinyurl.com/6nexv2l

Amalgamation was possible because all three companies were under the same ownership.

What is worth noting, however, is that company 1072232 was called New Zealand Warriors Ltd at the time of amalgamation, so perhaps this is where people get confused. Company 1090488 was a majority shareholder in company 1072232.

A few points worth noting:
- The term "Vodafone Warriors" is a marketing brand with the club's major sponsor getting naming rights. The company has never been registered with the word "Vodafone" in its name.
- The company which currently owns the club has only been registered as New Zealand Warriors Ltd since late 2010, despite being marketed as that for at least a decade prior.
- The use of "Warriors" sans geographic location at some statistics websites is most likely for ease of use and to limit confusion, as the club has had Auckland and New Zealand in front of its name at different times.
- NRLStats.com is the official stats website for the NRL. I thought this was common knowledge, (as each NRL.com match stats page states "© Sportsdata and NRLStats"), but a single click on the main NRLStats page takes users to the Sportsdata website which states: "Sportsdata, the primary instant sports source for Foxtel Digital, News Limited, NRL.com, Fox Sports, NSW TAB, NineMSN, Vodafone, Telstra, is also in partnership with the NRL as NRL Stats - the official statistician to the league and all 16 NRL teams".

This info took about five minutes to find online.

I hope this information is of some help.

Reactions: Gee
Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I thought he was a condescending opinionated drop kick. Never once talking about the Broncos being off side but going on and on about SJ's forward pass and how tired the warriors look.
Haven't heard him for a while. Reminded me instantly when he led a posse to get the warriors kicked out and when he famously predicted we wouldn't reach the 8 in 08 lol.
I get it he doesn't like us, just wish he'd attempt to be polite
I meant Bluey. Or does the answer still stand?

At any rate, I guess now we are the Cullens Sports ltd Vodafone Auckland New Zealand Warriors ltd

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Now my post about bluey been down cast at the press confrence."SAD Bluey"as it was put, went to retardoland,tell me how the name of are club as any realavince to the post game talk.did are name.lose us the game no did the colour of are jersey lose.us the game no.then get of the subject please

I meant Bluey. Or does the answer still stand?

At any rate, I guess now we are the Cullens Sports ltd Vodafone Auckland New Zealand Warriors ltd
Don't forget the DB Bitter Lion.Breweries Cullen. Sports. Mad butcher Sausages New Zealand warriors ltd

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
The debate around the club's official name seems to rear its ugly head every six months or so, though I'm not sure why. A quick check of the New Zealand Business Registry should clear things up pretty quickly.

On October 17th, 2000, company number 1090488 was registered in New Zealand under the name Cullen Sports Ltd.

This company, headed by Eric Watson, included the club we know as the Warriors, and although they rebranded themselves as the New Zealand Warriors - a marketing move designed to expand the supporter base to the rest of the country and also to pull in expats living in Australia - their registered name was still Cullen Sports Ltd.

This changed on January 19th, 2006, when the company was renamed Warriors League Ltd: https://tinyurl.com/6sbkwma

By that time, Vodafone had been the club's major sponsor longer than company 1090488 had been registered: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/about/sponsorship/warriors/

The club had been interchangeably referred to as the New Zesland Warriors and the Vodafone Warriors, but these were merely monikers at least and trading names at most.

It wasn't until October 29th, 2010 - less than two years ago - that company 1090488 became New Zealand Warriors Ltd, after amalgamating with two other companies, numbers 1354902 and 1072232 respectively: https://tinyurl.com/6nexv2l

Amalgamation was possible because all three companies were under the same ownership.

What is worth noting, however, is that company 1072232 was called New Zealand Warriors Ltd at the time of amalgamation, so perhaps this is where people get confused. Company 1090488 was a majority shareholder in company 1072232.

- The term "Vodafone Warriors" is a marketing brand with the club's major sponsor getting naming rights. The company has never been registered with the word "Vodafone" in its name.
- The company which currently owns the club has only been registered as New Zealand Warriors Ltd since late 2010, despite being marketed as that for at least a decade prior.
- The use of "Warriors" sans geographic location at some statistics websites is most likely for ease of use and to limit confusion, as the club has had Auckland and New Zealand in front of its name at different times.
- NRLStats.com is the official stats website for the NRL. I thought this was common knowledge, (as each NRL.com match stats page states "© Sportsdata and NRLStats"), but a single click on the main NRLStats page takes users to the Sportsdata website which states: "Sportsdata, the primary instant sports source for Foxtel Digital, News Limited, NRL.com, Fox Sports, NSW TAB, NineMSN, Vodafone, Telstra, is also in partnership with the NRL as NRL Stats - the official statistician to the league and all 16 NRL teams".

so why are they refered to as the new zealand warriors?

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I feel it is only a few dropkick aussie commentaters that call them "New Zealand" and it seems to be the ones that have made no secret of the fact that they don't like the Warriors being there. Hell even Geyer calls them the Warriors. For me it seems to be in an effort to get a separation between the Warriors and the rest of the comp.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7280721/Warriors-cool-factor-grows-brand-in-Australia

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Rather than repeating myself, I'd much rather you re-read my post which answers your question.

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Now my post about bluey been down cast at the press confrence."SAD Bluey"as it was put, went to retardoland,tell me how the name of are club as any realavince to the post game talk.did are name.lose us the game no did the colour of are jersey lose.us the game no.then get of the subject please
The question of the legal name of the club came up, and I answered it.

Why does that bother you?

If the thread goes sufficiently off topic, I expect mods will split it out as they deem necessary.

Your post seems to be more suitably directed at whoever sent your post to Retardoland - perhaps via PM - rather than at the rest of us who are simply following the conversation to wherever it leads.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Point taken thanks ..so why can't they call us the NZWarriors instead of just NZ and sometimes dropping in the word Warriors Just bugs me :)
I would say this is the same reason they don't call these teams by their full name all the time.

The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
The Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The South Sydney Rabbitohs
The North Queensland Cowboys

It would just be too time consuming and monotonous.

I imagine they like to mix it up a little by referring to the teams by different names all the time. Calling us the Warriors all the time is the same as calling Cronulla the Sharks all the time. They prefer to sometimes refer to them as Cronulla rather than the Sharks all the time. I know the commentators are a little amateurish a lot of the time, but they have been schooled on how to talk and what sounds best.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

So from this we can take that the TEAMS (as opposed to the owning company) real name is New Zealand Warriors? Or that it can be whatever you want it to be?

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

The game was on Channel 9 in Australia, kind of like if it was in Channel 1 or 2 here.

Because it is free to air they have to advertise other shows that are on.

Reaction score
Jesbass

Jesbass

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
So from this we can take that the TEAMS (as opposed to the owning company) real name is New Zealand Warriors? Or that it can be whatever you want it to be?
What it means is that we can categorically say that the club has been called New Zealand Warriors since the 2010/2011 off season.

I think the reason there is confusion is because two companies were established in 2000 within a month of each other with the two conflicting names: Warriors League Ltd and New Zealand Warriors Ltd. So for those 10 years, the official name could have been either one. Warriors League Ltd still exists, but has been renamed New Zealand Warriors Ltd as part of the amalgamation - and just to confuse us all a bit more!

Commentators should never call us "New Zealand" or "the New Zealanders" because it isn't representative of the club, despite its full name including "New Zealand" in the title. The first implies that the team represents New Zealand - it doesn't, as that would be the Kiwis. The second implies that the players are of New Zealand nationality - they aren't, but rather a mix of New Zealanders, Australians, Tongans, and so forth.

Calling us the Vodafone Warriors is a marketing ploy - nothing else.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Watch a football game involving West Bromwich Albion, I guarantee the commentator will - at best - once or twice refer to them by their full name. It's usually "West Brom" or ocassionally the team's nickname. It's entirely logical for commentators to abitrarily shorten teams names to make them easier to say and I've never ever heard any commentator in any sport refer during his call to one of the teams on the field as the "Sponser Team Name" - ie "Vodafone Warriors". As to being called New Zealand and whether that's annoying or not - I actually think calling the team "The Enzeders" as I believe Costo did on occassion is much more annoying. I mean, do you hear the Cowboys called "The NQuers"?

As to this particular case: Well....the team have pretty much asked to be called New Zealand by virtue of the team colours and little hints like "A nation of four million Warriors" which popped up on the official Warriors website a few years ago (ie it flashed up for a second or two as I was getting into the site, it wasn't there on the page itself).

It's chief failing is, of course, that the Kiwis represent New Zealand as well so it sounds as if it's the Kiwis out there and as a geographical identifier while accurate as the Warriors are the only New Zealand team in the NRL at present so it could be argued do in fact represent the whole country has always to my mind been out of place. Maybe the NRL should do what Super 15 have done and officially drop the geographical identifiers (the only reminder is when the team logos come on screen and the maps showing which region the team comes from). A reason for doing this that is calling yourself by a region name or country name does remind people from that region/country that you actually haven't played a home game down their neck of the woods for a while. If ever.

If I had to pick a name I'd go back to Auckland Warriors or drop the geographical identifer completely - although...Aotearoa Warriors, anyone?

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If they pronounce Aotearoa properly and not ow-tear-row-ar I'd support it.

Top Bottom