General Warriors May Throw Guttenbeil Lifeline

*Kimmy*_old

Jesbass said:
I don't think we'll see Guttenbeil back, even if the Warriors make him an offer. He was going to the ESL for money, and the clock is ticking. I think he'll sign with another ESL club. Wouldn't it be great if he joined Les Catalans? :D
Yeah i've said to myself i'd like to see him join Les Catalans..aww would be nice to see him and Stacey playing together again!!!!!!!!

STRIDER_old

Resigning Awen and keeping Koopu is the reason the Warriors wont win the grand final or be there.

Esoj_old

Go_The_Doggies said:
Jesbass said:
I don't think we'll see Guttenbeil back, even if the Warriors make him an offer. He was going to the ESL for money, and the clock is ticking. I think he'll sign with another ESL club. Wouldn't it be great if he joined Les Catalans? :D
Yeah i've said to myself i'd like to see him join Les Catalans..aww would be nice to see him and Stacey playing together again!!!!!!!!

not likely to happen as the catalans have filled all their imports spot for next season. he might get picked up by another esl club but can't hurt to put an offer too him at least. there is not exactly a lot left if any on the nrl market or even the esl market maybe so giving awen a 1 year deal wouldn't be too bad.

fiamacho_old

Awen will not be back and to tell you the truth I would not want to see him back. The Club has given him his testimonial, his good-bye dinner etc and quite frankly the Club needs to move on.

The fact that Castelford got relegated is sad but it is also a fact of life, this is a business and as a business there are repercussions for poor decisions. Awen knows this he has been in the game long enough.

The Club is not that desperate to give Awen a life line now anyway.

Jesbass_old

fiamacho said:
Awen will not be back and to tell you the truth I would not want to see him back. The Club has given him his testimonial, his good-bye dinner etc and quite frankly the Club needs to move on.

The fact that Castelford got relegated is sad but it is also a fact of life, this is a business and as a business there are repercussions for poor decisions. Awen knows this he has been in the game long enough.

The Club is not that desperate to give Awen a life line now anyway.

I'm still at a loss as to why the term 'life line' made it into the title of the article. It makes it sound as if Awen would struggle to get a contract with another club. He'll be fielding plenty of offers from ESL clubs, and should find a new home without too much difficulty.

cablenathan_old

KeepingTheFaith said:
Apparently the veteran rule is 8 years and that's been taken up by Koopu.

So can they only apply the clause to one player in the squad? I haven't heard all the details, but was under the impression it applied to any players that met the criteria.

KeepingTheFaith_old

I was under that impression as well, but nope it's supposed to apply to just the one player. It'd be nice if they could make more allowances.

Esoj_old

awen may not want to come back but he is an experinced player and knows the system very well. I see no harm in the warriors at least putting an offer up for 1 year. in the end it may not matter anyway as he could go to another esl club, he will surely be in high demand up there.

warriorfaithful*_old

Esoj said:
awen may not want to come back but he is an experinced player and knows the system very well. I see no harm in the warriors at least putting an offer up for 1 year. in the end it may not matter anyway as he could go to another esl club, he will surely be in high demand up there.
You would think so.

sebastian_old

Awen left our club on a positive & high note after a few slumpish years, is it worth the gamble to risk ruining that? My preference would be to groom a youngster, Cleary has proven he can take young & borderline quality players & get the potential out of them. I think we have a exciting coach & we should let him work his magic on another youngster.

sliphgrrl_old

sebastian said:
Awen left our club on a positive & high note after a few slumpish years, is it worth the gamble to risk ruining that? My preference would be to groom a youngster, Cleary has proven he can take young & borderline quality players & get the potential out of them. I think we have a exciting coach & we should let him work his magic on another youngster.

fair comment, sebastian

Jesbass_old

Here is where I stand on the Awen Guttenbeil issue: I would like the Warriors to offer Awen a contract, and I would like Awen to turn it down.

Why?

I would be concerned if the Warriors didn't approach Guttenbeil, considering his situation and the fact that he has given so much to the club over the years, and in particular this year. If our management weren't sourcing out potential signings and approaching them, it would be very dire indeed.

At the same time, I don't think it would be in Awen's best interests to return to the club. He won't be eligible for the veteran rule as Koopu already has it. He is at the twilight of his career, and the best thing he can do to set up his family for the future is to cash in on as much money over his last two or three seasons, and that can only be done in the ESL.

sebastian_old

Jesbass said:
Here is where I stand on the Awen Guttenbeil issue: I would like the Warriors to offer Awen a contract, and I would like Awen to turn it down.

Why?

I would be concerned if the Warriors didn't approach Guttenbeil, considering his situation and the fact that he has given so much to the club over the years, and in particular this year. If our management weren't sourcing out potential signings and approaching them, it would be very dire indeed.

At the same time, I don't think it would be in Awen's best interests to return to the club. He won't be eligible for the veteran rule as Koopu already has it. He is at the twilight of his career, and the best thing he can do to set up his family for the future is to cash in on as much money over his last two or three seasons, and that can only be done in the ESL.

I agree he defenitly deserve's a year contract out of respect to his long service, i also agree on your opinion that he should reject it.