General Warriors Kick Their Way To Consistency

Jesbass_old

From www.nrl.com:

Coach Ivan Cleary points to the New Zealand Warriors' much-improved kicking game as a factor in their increasing consistency in the NRL.

The Warriors face bottom-of-the-table South Sydney at Telstra Stadium on Sunday, looking to put together three wins in a row for the first time since their grand final year of 2002.

Only a month ago, Cleary had been lamenting his side's poor kicking game.

Since then, they have lost narrowly to then competition leaders Brisbane and posted back-to-back wins over the Sydney Roosters and Newcastle.

Over the same period, the tactical kicking of halfback Grant Rovelli and hooker Nathan Fien has noticeably lifted.

Cleary said credit for that had to be shared right across the team.

"The field position that we are getting into, the types of kicks, who kicks - we just seem to have clicked in that regard," he said.

"It gives you that consistency, certainly in attack, and if you're attacking consistently, completing your sets and giving them the ball where you want them to have it, it helps your defence as well."

Against Souths, Cleary has retained the same 17 that took part in last weekend's 30-18 home win over the Knights.

It continued a trend over the past six rounds, where he had kept the core of his side largely intact, after having experimented with combinations earlier in the season.

Cleary said the elusive third consecutive win had not been discussed within the team this week.

He added the Warriors were in no way writing off the Rabbitohs, saying the match had all the makings of a dangerous one for them.

"If things come off for them, they are more than capable of beating anyone," Cleary said.

"We just have to be right on our game, otherwise there's certainly a possibility of being hurt."

However, he was also confident about the Warriors' ability to perform if they went out with the right attitude.

"I know that if we prepare well and play well, then we are a chance to beat anyone," he said.

"That's really got to be our focus. We have to make sure the good things we've done in the last couple of weeks don't go to waste."

If the Rabbitohs win this weekend, they will break a barren run against the Warriors, whom they have not beaten since 1999.

Jesbass_old

Jesbass said:
The Warriors face bottom-of-the-table South Sydney at Telstra Stadium on Sunday, looking to put together three wins in a row for the first time since their grand final year of 2002.

It's concerning that the official website can get a fact like this so blatantly wrong. :?

2big2strong_old

hmm, in an article concerning brent webb yesterday they said '.....warriors have not won three games in a row since 2003, the year they made the grand final.....' i wrote an email to them pointing out the error, now they've found another way to mess it up

Skinny_Ravs82

Jesbass said:
Over the same period, the tactical kicking of halfback Grant Rovelli and hooker Nathan Fien has noticeably lifted.

Yup! Yup! :D that's my boy!! But I agree I think everyone deserves credit. 1-17

Tajhay_old

Jesbass said:
Jesbass said:

It's concerning that the official website can get a fact like this so blatantly wrong. :?

care to explain what is wrong? we made the gf in 2002....

Skinny_Ravs82

Tajhay said:
Jesbass said:
Jesbass said:

Well, the feeling I got from that statement was that they were sort of implying that we'd won it. Sort of sounds like it to me anyway...

2big2strong_old

lol! c'mon guys, i can't believe you haven't notice it.

"looking to put together three wins in a row for the first time since their grand final year of 2002"

we won like four in a row leading up to the 2003 finals series, 2004 was when we started our incosistency slump

warriors4life_old

2black2strong said:
lol! c'mon guys, i can't believe you haven't notice it.

"looking to put together three wins in a row for the first time since their grand final year of 2002"

we won like four in a row leading up to the 2003 finals series, 2004 was when we started our incosistency slump

We won 5 in a row before Penrith knocked us off a week before the Grand Final.

Jesbass_old

Tajhay said:
Jesbass said:
Jesbass said:

warriors4life said:
We won 5 in a row before Penrith knocked us off a week before the Grand Final.

Rounds 24, 25, 26 of 2003, followed by the next two finals matches, (Bulldogs and Raiders respectively), before falling to the eventual title winners: Penrith.

sebastian_old

I like this coach, he's keeping their heads out of the sky. "Don't talk about 3 wins", "don't talk about losing 4 points" i know its basic pyscology but to implement it to a group succsessfully is impressive. As soon as i heard about the -4 i thought we're fu*cked, but to clearys credit hes handled this disaster perfectly, & it was a disaster.

Iafeta_old

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement RE: Cleary. That's why I gave him an A. Season 2006 thus far could have really fallen by the way side given what happened pre-season with the salary cap scandal.

Steve Price said on Fox that Cleary has a very placid personality, doesn't really blow up, but when he says something people listen. He said he just has a real ability to connect to people, especially the Polynesian boys. He also said that the team was not allowed to look at the table, talk about the -4 situation, and that had stopped people getting demotivated.

Full credit to Ivan and John Ackland.

warriors4life_old

sebastian said:
I like this coach, he's keeping their heads out of the sky. "Don't talk about 3 wins", "don't talk about losing 4 points" i know its basic pyscology but to implement it to a group succsessfully is impressive. As soon as i heard about the -4 i thought we're fu*cked, but to clearys credit hes handled this disaster perfectly, & it was a disaster.

Yeah, things could have turned to custard in the Warriors camp when we lost 4 points and the players could have given up hope but Cleary obviously kept them in good spirits and they haven't looked back.

Jesbass_old

Iafeta said:
He also said that the team was not allowed to look at the table, talk about the -4 situation, and that had stopped people getting demotivated.

That has to be the best tactical coaching decision of Cleary's first grade career. Pure genius.

warriorfaithful*_old

Jesbass said:
Iafeta said:
He also said that the team was not allowed to look at the table, talk about the -4 situation, and that had stopped people getting demotivated.

That has to be the best tactical coaching decision of Cleary's first grade career. Pure genius.

Yeah! His coaching is working a charm at the moment

Skinny_Ravs82

Jesbass said:
"The field position that we are getting into, the types of kicks, who kicks - we just seem to have clicked in that regard," he said.

"It gives you that consistency, certainly in attack, and if you're attacking consistently, completing your sets and giving them the ball where you want them to have it, it helps your defence as well."

Against Souths, Cleary has retained the same 17 that took part in last weekend's 30-18 home win over the Knights.

It continued a trend over the past six rounds, where he had kept the core of his side largely intact, after having experimented with combinations earlier in the season.

Cleary said the elusive third consecutive win had not been discussed within the team this week.

He added the Warriors were in no way writing off the Rabbitohs, saying the match had all the makings of a dangerous one for them.

"If things come off for them, they are more than capable of beating anyone," Cleary said.

"We just have to be right on our game, otherwise there's certainly a possibility of being hurt."

However, he was also confident about the Warriors' ability to perform if they went out with the right attitude.

"I know that if we prepare well and play well, then we are a chance to beat anyone," he said.

"That's really got to be our focus. We have to make sure the good things we've done in the last couple of weeks don't go to waste."

It was this half of the article which I thought was very good and it says alot.