General Warriors Junior Program Reform

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
So we're really hoping they kick on otherwise we're paying overs for an average or barely above average aussie half to fill the void. That's encouraging.....
But to answer your original question, the junior half in the club’s system that they rate the most is 18 year old Sebastyan Jack. He trained with the first grade squad and is in Redcliffe now.

But again, he’s nowhere even close to same level that Chanel Harris-Tavita and Paul Turner were at the same age.

Reactions: Penpal

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
I mean to be honest, with those two we’re already in a better position than most clubs in terms of young upcoming halves.

I know you’re a noted Chanel Harris-Tavita hater but, kicking game aside, he’s a pretty advanced half for his age.

Both have had massive wraps on them for years. Chanel Harris-Tavita was chased by every club before he had even made his NYC debut. Turner was also chased by most clubs after his first Harold Matthews season before he decided to come home.

I’m not saying they will be stars but there’s no reason to think they won’t kick on into regular first grader given their age.

Never said I hate him, not even close. I just don't rate him as high as you do. For me he's solid if not slightly above average as a ceiling. He's in that Josh Reynolds category, good enough to contribute as a number 2, but not good enough to be the main attraction.

If Turner kicks on his running game compliments Chanel Harris-Tavita well (although kicking wise it's a concern).

Kiwishark

U20's Player
Oct 7, 2020
Except Taumalolo is 6’3 and Maiuu isn’t. Agree that he’s a strong runner though, and physically more developed than everyone else in that U20 comp.

Put it this way, there’s no halves in the junior set up right now that are even close to the same junior pedigree as Chanel Harris-Tavita or Turner.
Cullen Gray is worth a shot... In the top future warriors squad at 16, heard he's done everything right over the off season (September 20 to Feb 21) has now gone back to the 1A like a number of others in the squad.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Cullen Gray is worth a shot... In the top future warriors squad at 16, heard he's done everything right over the off season (September 20 to Feb 21) has now gone back to the 1A like a number of others in the squad.
I stand corrected - we do have a talented halves prospect. Didn’t know he was in our junior set up. He killed it for grammar at his age last year. Glad to see we’re going after first fives in 1A and first XV comps instead of halves coming up through NZRL.

He’s quite a long way away though, same age as Francis Manulealua in our system who is probably a lot closer to first grade

Kiwishark

U20's Player
Oct 7, 2020
I stand corrected - we do have a talented halves prospect. Didn’t know he was in our junior set up. He killed it for grammar at his age last year. Glad to see we’re going after first fives in 1A and first XV comps instead of halves coming up through NZRL.

He’s quite a long way away though, same age as Francis Manulealua in our system who is probably a lot closer to first grade
He was brought in by Greg Boulous after the AGS v St Kent’s game last year. He’s really green but definitely a prospect moving forward. Him and Francis apparently hit it off over the off season and Gray just out worked everyone in every session! Those 2 could be more than handy in any junior team going forward.

Reactions: Penpal

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
He was brought in by Greg Boulous after the AGS v St Kent’s game last year. He’s really green but definitely a prospect moving forward. Him and Francis apparently hit it off over the off season and Gray just out worked everyone in every session! Those 2 could be more than handy in any junior team going forward.
Super excited about Francis, if he keeps up this trajectory he'll be playing first grade before he turns 20. Given Viliami Vailea has walked straight into QLD cup as a 18 year old straight out of school and even someone like Suaalii about to make his debut for the roosters at 17 years old in the coming weeks.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
For those interested and in NZ, Zyon Maiuu playing 6 for Kelston tomorrow at 2.20pm on SKY Sport 4. Unsure if there are other Warriors aligned players at Kelston or in Saint Kents who they are playing. Anyone know?

Reactions: mt.wellington

Ryaan

Warriors Bench Player
Sep 23, 2020
For those interested and in NZ, Zyon Maiuu playing 6 for Kelston tomorrow at 2.20pm on SKY Sport 4. Unsure if there are other Warriors aligned players at Kelston or in Saint Kents who they are playing. Anyone know?
Tony Tafa playing for kelston is signed with us also

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Cheers guys, was aware of Laban but didn't realize he was at Kelston and didn't know about the St Kents boys. Have it recorded but haven't watched yet

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Was wondering how I was going to know who Zyon Maiuu and Ben Tafa were. Right in cue they both score in 5 minutes lol.

Zyon sure is a solid kid with great footwork and speed for his size. Fantastic footwork actually. Seemed to be in the middle of everything in terms of the pack and also got through a ton of attack work on the edge.

Didn't see much of Ben cause Kents got pumped but he's the captain which says a lot. He did well to score his try in heavy traffic.

Only caught sight of Tony Tafa once and that was when he made an offload that led to Zyon try...

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
I had a brief bit of correspondence with someone close to Cullen Gray earlier today & we discussed why he's signed to go play Union down in Christchurch.
They said he was told by the trainers and coaches that he had made a great impression over summer. Greg Boulous was really keen on keeping him around and it sounded that way after Greg’s departure but as it went on Peter O’Sullivan wasn’t interested. Gray is from a League whanau and the Warriors would of been his first choice but for whatever reason it didn’t happen.
Sounds like a real shame that he's had to look elsewhere

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I had a brief bit of correspondence with someone close to Cullen Gray earlier today & we discussed why he's signed to go play Union down in Christchurch.
They said he was told by the trainers and coaches that he had made a great impression over summer. Greg Boulous was really keen on keeping him around and it sounded that way after Greg’s departure but as it went on Peter O’Sullivan wasn’t interested. Gray is from a League whanau and the Warriors would of been his first choice but for whatever reason it didn’t happen.
Doesn’t he have abit of injury history? He’s a gun touch player tho.

Would rather develop him as a halves prospect over Sebastyan Jack.

In POS we trust I suppose.

Reactions: Tony Martin

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 10, 2017
Does anyone have any contacts for Cullen gray. Keen to talk to him about playing for my colts rugby team

Reactions: TheCool

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings