playdaball

Heritage Member
There are a few decent options for our chief goal kicker in 2022;
Shaun Johnson
Walsh
Chanel Harris-Tavita
Taylor
Nikorima

How would you rate these guys and who do you think will our kicker this year?

I don’t have their kicking %.

The Guru ranked Walsh at #1, Shaun Johnson at #2 and Taylor at 3.

It depends on team selections, form, injuries, illness (AKA COVID) and suspensions , but to me I’d strip Walsh of kicking duties and let him concentrate on his basic game., especially his defence and bomb defusing.

I actually rate Chanel Harris-Tavita highly , especially pre his last big injury.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Can't let Shaun Johnson do it, has enough leg problems as it is, then Taylor/Nikorima/Chanel Harris-Tavita could be in and out of the team that week, so thats not helpful.

Leaves Walsh, even though he does not need the responsibility, you get the sense that he wants to be the man and take the big game winning sideline conversions, even though he missed them in brisbane last year. Plus between that and his tries, it'd be nice to have a warrior near the top of the points scoring list again, been a while.

Whoever plays 6 can kick in the early rounds when he's out. Chanel Harris-Tavita smashes them down the middle when he's kicking well though

wellyboy

Contributor
If you're going to state Johnson's 2021 stat (from just 20 attempts) you should probably do the same for Nikorima who was 81% (from 52 attempts).
If u want.
90% put Shaun Johnson 1st equal with Crocker from recognized kickers last year
81% would have kodi 12th

Here’s another one I found that claims to rate their “true” kicking percentage over the last 2 seasons taking into account the difficulty of each kick to show how many points their kicking has earned or lost their team in the last 2 years.

Shaun Johnson 11.8
Chanel Harris-Tavita 5.9
Walsh -1.1
Kodi -2.6
Taylor —3.9

It would be interesting to know who actually wants the job.

It depends on team selections, form, injuries, illness (AKA COVID) and suspensions , but to me I’d strip Walsh of kicking duties and let him concentrate on his basic game., especially his defence and bomb defusing.

I like the idea of stripping Walsh of this part of his game to focus on his basic game. 2022 is his first real season in the NRL. He needs to learn what it really takes to be a top class 1. Last year, no-one knew who the eff Reese Walsh Walsh was. This year they do.

The only proviso is if it's provable that he's the only 80%+ kicker in the side. Kicking conversions/penalties accurately is a deeply unsexy thing that doesn't make the highlight reels much but damn it's vital to your team's chances of making the Finals/Grand Final/Premiership...

If you want to take the role away from RW and don't want to give it to Shaun Johnson because his kicking leg is the one he often has injury issues with than Chanel Harris-Tavita or KN for me. As for the preferred side thing, I'd just again make an observation I've made several times - It's really bizarre how a kicker can get a conversion from the sideline right down the middle but when it's closer in field, either hits a crossbar so it just gets in or screws it completely...

Reactions: Worried2Death
Here’s another one I found that claims to rate their “true” kicking percentage over the last 2 seasons taking into account the difficulty of each kick to show how many points their kicking has earned or lost their team in the last 2 years.
Who came out as the top goalkicker in the comp?

Reactions: wizards rage
Who came out as the top goalkicker in the comp?
These are all the ones I could fit in a screenshot- not sure how to post a link..

513A34EF-4A6F-4D03-8C78-9CA117AA659F.jpeg

bruce

Contributor
Injuries not withstanding you give the ball to Shaun Johnson every time don’t you? besides the fact he’s a guaranteed starter he‘s the bloke with the most experience under pressure, you‘d want him kicking us to a win I would’ve thought.

Was telling that Chad kicked goals for us when he played too, it really was shared around last season from memory.
Shaun Johnson seems to have matured, and the bro factor is not the same is it?

He is no more of a loudmouth than the average Aussie, I think he may have ben disadvantaged by our bro system.

All of them...surely?
Idk.
I remember when Shaun Johnson went to the sharks he said it didn’t worry him if he kicked or not.
I don’t know if it’s something Kodie or ash have ever really aspired to- probably just so talented that they’ve been the best option at times.
Chanel Harris-Tavita strikes me as someone who would put the time in.
Walsh was a renowned goal kicker through the grades and seems like the type of character that would relish it.
Interestingly I read an article once that showed the kicking percentage in age grade games is no worse and often better than what u see in first grade- this was attributed to the extra pressure of kicking them in the nrl in front of large live and tv audiences.
Some deal with it better than others.
Shaun Johnson and Walsh are the only automatic selections and Shaun Johnson has the runs on the board so he would probably be favorite at the tab.
If Chanel Harris-Tavita can crack the team he could come into the picture.

bruce

Contributor
What is this ' Bro ' system you speak of...
Fair question...IMO...Polynesian culture is a different culture to Oz.

Self promotion of any type is not the Polynesian thing IME.

Polynesians are by nature humble IME.

I don't know Shaun Johnson personally but from what I heard from my neighbours at MSS he wasn't regarded by his team mates as being the humble type.

In Oz that would just be par for the course, actually in Oz Shaun Johnson was probably one of the quieter ones.

He seemed to go ok at the Sharks...didn't he?

So a culture clash...which hopefully has been sorted.