General Warriors Game Plan 2014 - Pass it to Manu?

Do you think the Warriors have a viable game plan?

• Yes we have an awesome game plan...

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Maybe, but I don't know what it is...

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No they just make stuff up on the day and hope for the best...

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
edd

edd

I found this video and it's one where if you don't laugh you cry... (But don't worry, it does have a happy ending)...

But I think it sums up perfectly the fan experience at the average Warriors/Penrith game lately...

The kid is my favorite part (laughing when I should be crying), and his comment sums up, for me at least, everything that is wrong with our club...

So my question is: Do we actually have a game plan here at Warrior nation, other than pass it to Manu?
(Pass it to Manu being a metaphor for: pass it to anyone who is a noted game breaker and hope they can create something out of nothing)...

You'll note Johnson getting the ball for a hit up on the 20mt line. That's a classic pass it to Manu moment (in my book)....

Watching the top 4 teams this year, they all play their plan week in week out. Watching us week in week out it looks like a slow moving train wreck half the time...

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

I have no problem with the concept, as long as the metaphorical 'Manu' is in a position to use their skill.

Simply add a provisor to the 'pass it to Manu' of 'create space and then ...', and we have a genuine working play.

We have too many young stars who figure that someone else can create the break/gap/space and then they can show their stellar skills and score the points. No one wants to do the work, just get the results.

fanrrior

fanrrior

Passing it to Vatuvei requires having him in the team so no thanks to that.

I didn't vote because I don't think any of the choices really fit my opinion. Imo we are kinda a mix of all the above.

From a spectator's perspective the Warriors looks as if they sorta have a game plan. If this poll was made at the start of last year I would have picked the third option. But now I think that, at the very least, they have the makings of one.

Little by little we are getting close to developing our own game plan. But so far it would be more accurate to say that the team is developing more set plays. I noticed that as the year went by they started relying less on individual talents and more on working together. However it appears that instead of 13 players running around like headless chickens we now have a team running around collectively without its head. They still don't have direction, like a team with a true game plan. But its definitely an improvement over nearly 80 minutes of ad lib footy.

The day that we can say the Warriors have a game plan is the day we can call them clinical. In 2013 we made a start on becoming clinical by seeing our players talents as something to utilize instead of just rely on.

But we are yet to become a team that targets specific areas of a defensive line. We haven't started targeting unexperienced players or notably poor defenders. And we haven't started kicking tactically at the oppositions butter-fingered players or even simply making sure that the kick chasers are aware/running for the ball. Until we start doing these things I don't think we will truly have a working game plan.

Reactions: 3 users
Sup42

Sup42

PLaying League the New Zealand way is the game plan I like / want to see a coach bring back in.
New Zealand players are full of holes when it comes to the fundamentals. That starts with the lack of School comps ( changing now we will be on our way in ten years from now , seriously on our way ).

The New Zealand way ( forget the errors and what's missing in fundamental skills ) Is a running game. Power running game. Support play , secound phase in other words.
Manly actually do it to us really well when we play them , they out offload us and out power run our team , so it's a winning way to play rugby league if your sides well drilled.
Daniel Anderson came in and tried to change the way the Warriors played. He also talked about how he was stunned some of our star players hadn't learned to play the ball properly.
Anderson set about doing tow things , 1) he tried to structure the team 2) he made them play and train on the basics of the game over and over till they got it or just didn't make first grade.
Andersons attempts to structure the team in the Australian mold failed. He came out and admitted it , and talked about how he adjusted to embracing the secound phase offloading game and instead got players pushing up in support in numbers.

Ivan came along and he did manage to fairly radically change the Style of the Warriors , but he did so by changing the player type.
He created a team of secound rowers and a spine that would set up to kick to Manu. That's pretty much it. The Secound rowers in attack would run from dummy half or use secound man plays......run out of tackles.....kick to Manu.
Now what I see is Elliot trying a hybrid of Anderson and Cleary, not saying it's deliberate on Elliots part that it looks like a cross of Elliot and Anderson ).
Elliot started with Forwards playing laterally....the sort of thing Anderson allowed , but he tried it with tackle bot Secound rowers instead of your Lauititi's , Faumuina's , and Guttenbiels.
Big difference in Secound Row design between Andersons men going Lateral off a couple of charges from Monster Props ( Like trueley fookln bigger dudes than the other teams ) and using Ivan bot style secound rowers to play across the park.
The 2002's could move the ball wide from inside their own 20. That used to kill teams like the Bulldogs Umbrella defense.
That style wasn't new , It was there in 95.
The difference was Anderson got them doing it without dropping the ball , and using passes instead of crazy offloads in their own 20.
He didn't care what they unleashed once they were in the oppositions red Zone , they were unstoppable provided they didn't 1) drop the ball 2) Knock on at Dummy half 3) play the ball incorrectly etc.

I'm not opposed to structuring the Warriors , but I'm against the idea of limiting the player body type across the park to achieve it.

Reactions: 2 users
edd

edd

I have no problem with the concept, as long as the metaphorical 'Manu' is in a position to use their skill.

Simply add a provisor to the 'pass it to Manu' of 'create space and then ...', and we have a genuine working play.

We have too many young stars who figure that someone else can create the break/gap/space and then they can show their stellar skills and score the points. No one wants to do the work, just get the results.
I think a lot of it comes down to always trying to play positive, always trying to create something in attack against teams who really need to be shut out of the game with grinding attack and punishing defense...

This is how we lost to the Eels at the start of the season, how the panthers got 60 odd over us and how the Dragons made us look silly at the arse end... We didn't grind them out of the game and punish their mistakes... They did that to us...

The roosters used this negative strategy all season and won the GF... We need to learn how to do it quick smart because, as of right now in the nrl, it's the dominant strategy... In the future the rules might be changed to allow positive, creative play to become predominant, which would be awesome. But until that happens we have to get in and win the grind, or continue losing the points race... IMO

The winner makes the least mistakes ATM... That's why I'm voting for Matagi, cause nobody's more accurate than him... I think his only mistake all season was a dropped ball in the Dragons game when someone gave him a pointless pass instead of taking the tackle...

In short we need low risk/high reward plays... But they don't come up all that often; so the low risk/low reward play is the pattern for most of the game... Let the opposition become frustrated and attack their mistakes... That's the road to mythical land of consistency...

Sup42

Sup42

Manu's three try spree yesterday would have Warriors fans fapping

How good is it seeing a right Winger used just as effectively ?

For me it just underscores how badly the Warriors have lost touch with the import of quality Wingers.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck probably can't conceptualise players like Lockes attitudes to moving from Fullback.

Reactions: 1 user