General Warriors: From obsession to apathy

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Blame who you want, but until everyone is held accountable for their performance, including ALL players, no protected icons, they will get nowhere.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I'm also a lifter and organizer of heavy pallets, among other things.

I worked with a guy who played junior warriors before suffering a career ending injury at the age of 20. He was a complete Muppet. Got busted, more than once, for skipping work sick and then posting all about his day at the beach on face book, with a FB account our manager had full access to. We're all wondering why we're working so hard, being short staffed, and there he is, lying on a beach with his missus, absolutely loving life.

We dodged a bullet with this kid, I'm telling you.

Was it a condition of his employment that he gave access or was it a "let's be Facebook mates" thing? Either way, that he was that kind of character - the kind to "take a sick day at the beach look-at-my Facebook-photos" - and gave access implies Mensa don't need to send an application to join to his address....

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Was it a condition of his employment that he gave access or was it a "let's be Facebook mates" thing? Either way, that he was that kind of character - the kind to "take a sick day at the beach look-at-my Facebook-photos" - and gave access implies Mensa don't need to send an application to join to his address....
Definitely not a condition of employment. Not at this company.

More of a way for him to show off how cool he is. Which he did. And now we all hate him. Go figure.

• Haha
Reactions: WA supporter

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Not really, not for him. It wasn't even a weeks wages for the guy.

He built a whole city block at the Auckland University ffs.
I thought the guy was an egg the first time I saw him on TV years ago hanging out with bimbos on his boat when nobody knew who the hell he was. As for his wages his money wasn't available because his trusted business partners had got control of it, that would drive anybody to drink.
The point is EW didn't pay for the gym but maybe he is helping pay for James Graham, now that would be impressive..

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I find it disturbing that for years I had my favourite players that I NEEDED to be in the team or all hell would break loose.
Ahhh, the good old days - it was so easy to bait you then. All I had to do was just mention LanceH or Fish and there was a guaranteed week's worth of entertainment.

Me.... I don't have apathy for the club - just numbness!!!

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Ahhh, the good old days - it was so easy to bait you then. All I had to do was just mention LanceH or Fish and there was a guaranteed week's worth of entertainment.

Me.... I don't have apathy for the club - just numbness!!!
I only had 1 player I was a real fan of in the past year or so, but he is a Tiger now.

• Haha
Reactions: Swanley

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Big Benny Matulino. It's ok mate, we can do better than him
Im willing t carry his bags to make sure he goes. I have never been convinced by his jog at the line. His shoulder charge was removed from the games a while back, and Kearney has removed his offload, which is pleasing. It was a hit or miss technique with him.

I think the club has done a horrific job with Tui. I hope he can rebuild under Ivan. We made a bigger mess with his development and handling than we did with Carlos. The guy had more potential than Shaun Johnson, but will suffer for his time here.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Xfactor

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Sydney
Hey guys, thought I'd post this here before letting it loose elsewhere. Some may find it a tad harsh, but it's how I (and many many people I've spoken with) feel. Feel free to tear it apart, but I feel like the time for sugar coating has well and truly gone. Most of it isn't new sentiment for us who frequent here, just collective thoughts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something is happening. Change is happening. As a Warriors supporter, there is a mood in the air that I have never experienced in 20 years. Or should I say, lack of mood - apathy is the only word I can find to describe it. The lack of enthusiasm, emotion, and even general interest in some cases, is a stark contrast to years gone by.

There was a time when the Warriors meant everything to me. Over the past 2 decades, my weeks and weekends have been dominated by everything rugby league and Warriors. My general mood over the week soured after a loss, then brightened again as game-day approached. My circle of friends similarly dove head first into the sport and the Auckland-based side with obsessive eagerness that was essentially unmatched by anything for years.

However during the last few seasons, I have noticed a gradual shift in mindset. It started out as simply less anger, less frustration after a loss. Then some started to avoid watching the games once it was clear the Warriors weren’t going to make the 8. This progressed to snorts of derision during the propaganda-filled preseasons, and collective eye-rolling when we were fed articles declaring a ‘fitter, stronger, more focused squad than ever before’. The club slowly descended from an entity that once filled us with pride, enjoyment, passion – to something that we oddly found ourselves resenting. We were putting everything we had into it, and getting nothing in return.

From my perspective, this season has seen the biggest change of all. The fiery passion amongst many supporters is not only gone, it has been replaced with almost nothing at all. People simply no longer care about the outcome. I feel I can speak about this with a degree of confidence, having helped run the largest online supporters forum for the past decade. There will always be a sub-set of supporter that lives and dies by the results on the field, but this breed is dwindling.

From a competition standpoint, I would suggest the Knights are in a deeper hole than the Warriors, but they at least have some past success to fall back on. I don't see the Warriors winning a premiership for a long time, if ever. If I have to star gaze, they are probably on the verge of a Newcastle style 'rebuild' with very little light at the end of the tunnel.

I don’t say this lightly, or as a knee-jerk reaction to what has unfolded so far this year. The Warriors simply do not produce footballers good enough to compete for sustained periods of time. What we see are many players who are good at one or two things only. Some are great on attack, but can’t defend, or lack basic ball handling skills. Some are great defenders, but can’t break a tackle to save themselves. It is quite apparent that the players with all-round abilities tend to end up in rugby union, and why wouldn’t they? Spending your days in the pulsating industrial hub of Penrose must surely pale in comparison to an All Black jersey and all the comes with it.

The attribute which is most consistently lacking however, is mental fortitude. Most players this club produces lack it in spades. It can be hidden to a degree in a side filled with players who have it, but is sorely exposed here. The so-called nursery of junior league players in Auckland is nothing but a giant youtube highlight reel with zero substance. There is nothing about the junior players in our current squad that suggests they are anything but fringe first graders, let alone the type of players you can build a club around. The future looks incredibly dim.

If I am being brutally honest - the Warriors are a club where careers come to die. Where basic skills, fitness and attitudes nose dive, never to recover to pre-Warriors levels – a few notable exceptions aside. No prior or current strategies on or off the field have worked, save for perhaps a couple of brief periods.

Jim Doyle's current strategy of recruiting Kiwis looks grand on paper but is arguably producing some of our worst ever performances. I expect to see him fall on his sword at the end of this season, as he probably should, though he has at least tried something different. In short, there is almost nothing to be positive about regarding this club and the direction it is headed.

I will probably watch again this weekend, as old habits certainly seem to die hard. Though none of what unfolds will mean very much, neither to myself nor many of my fellow supporters-turned-observers. Apathy has taken over, and it’s here to stay.
God I hope somebody with some degree of influence inside the upper ranks of Warriors HQ is ghosting this thread.

This cannot be wasted on only us diminishing tribe of supporters.

Xfactor

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Sydney
Iv'e been fairly apathetic towards the Warriors for a few years now, which has definitely changed how i support the team, i have little to no emotion when watching them.

The part that is most disappointing for me is the lack of interest i now have in watching other games, i used to watch them all, working out all the calculations and permiatations of each result and how they would effect the Warriors, now i try to watch but it just doesn't seem to matter, which is flat out sad because it's such a great game.
May I please echo this comment.

I can't watch other teams play because it only serves to drive home just how completely kaka we are!

Banning the biff and the shoulder charge, the rapid decline in refereeing standards, and now being an unfortunate long-time supporter of the most diabolical team to embarrass NZ on the global stage....my love for this great game is on life support.:nurse::(

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I havent felt this low about the team since the 1998-1999 era. This one though is 2012-20??. Six years so far.

Have to admit to be confused as to how to proceed from here. Been a fan for so long I dont know any other way. The Warriors have been such a big part of my life. Even though my care levels are almost in the negatives I dont know what else to do on game day but book the SKY or put on a jersey and head down to the park. Ive followed this team so intently that my weekly routine, particularly on game day, revolves around the game. I dont how but I know that the next game against the Titans is this Saturday at 5pm and no matter what is happening that day I will be parked in front of a TV somewhere watching it for the next 2 hours.

Im in autopilot mode right now. Wonder how shit it all has to get before I finally decide enough is enough???

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I find it helpful to compartmentalize.

When the Warriors suck, I put them in a box and place them in a hierarchy of importance.

1. Rugby league. It is our game, we the fans are the owners of the sport, we make it possible for the game to thrive.

2. Players perform a Role in the whole thing, but they are not the thee all and end all of what the sport is.....because players constantly change over time....which leaves the diehards at the heart of the sports raisen d'etre ( wonderful frog term for 'the reason a thing exists).

3. Even though the Warriors have a legendary foot print of being a dangerous, unpredictable giant killer.....a team that left opposites bruised no matter the result.....Legend is not something generation Y know how to tap into.

So I never let the Warriors own my League Passport.

Fuck the Warriors, this is my game (healthier than apathy) to my way of thinking anger is more likely to keep you staunch long term....unlike the Roller Coaster.

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I find it helpful to compartmentalize.

When the Warriors suck, I put them in a box and place them in a hierarchy of importance.

1. Rugby league. It is our game, we the fans are the owners of the sport, we make it possible for the game to thrive.

2. Players perform a Role in the whole thing, but they are not the thee all and end all of what the sport is.....because players constantly change over time....which leaves the diehards at the heart of the sports raisen d'etre ( wonderful frog term for 'the reason a thing exists).

3. Even though the Warriors have a legendary foot print of being a dangerous, unpredictable giant killer.....a team that left opposites bruised no matter the result.....Legend is not something generation Y know how to tap into.

So I never let the Warriors own my League Passport.

Fuck the Warriors, this is my game (healthier than apathy to my way of thinking and more likely to keep you staunch long term....unlike the Roller Coaster.
I found it helped me a great deal getting out there and watching some local footy on Saturday. Watched an U16 game at Pt England and Otahuhu Prems play a home game against the Ponsonby Ponies. These are people who play out of sheer passion for the sport. Real people...

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings