General Warriors: From obsession to apathy

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2013
This thread for me has the feeling of some sort of group therapy session.For me when I was younger I liked league but was more of a Canterbury RFU and All Blacks and Black Caps fan.The Warriors came along and I was hooked primarily because of the massive challenge they faced in being pretty much being the only team I knew who were competing in some other countries professional domestic competition and so it has proved.
There have been some disgraceful performances in the last few years (Storm Anzac Day last year and the Penrith embarrassment under Elliot I think it was) however I was most disgusted by the last three seasons late season capitulations which have shown pathetic levels of fight and determination when they had everything to play for.
As a fan that has been really hard to stomach.
I hit rock bottom after the Dragons weak effort which was the week after the pathetic Panthers capitulation.
We all have lives to lead and things to sort out but for me the thing that gets first marked on the calendar are the Warriors fixture.My week begins and ends with the Warriors game.
It is simple, a win and I am happy and a loss will mean my weekend is ruined particularly when it is a team we should beat and we play poorly.
I record every NRL game and watch them all.
I haven't given up yet because I think that we can play well but Kearney needs to find the key.We won't make the eight obviously the way we are going but it is still possible but change needs to happen now starting with this weeks team selections.The next three round are Titans ( our bitch atm), a bye,Bulldogs (can't score points atm) that is six reasonably achievable points and we are right back in the mix........bring it on ........but Stephen you need to make changes.

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
I havent felt this low about the team since the 1998-1999 era. This one though is 2012-20??. Six years so far.

Have to admit to be confused as to how to proceed from here. Been a fan for so long I dont know any other way. The Warriors have been such a big part of my life. Even though my care levels are almost in the negatives I dont know what else to do on game day but book the SKY or put on a jersey and head down to the park. Ive followed this team so intently that my weekly routine, particularly on game day, revolves around the game. I dont how but I know that the next game against the Titans is this Saturday at 5pm and no matter what is happening that day I will be parked in front of a TV somewhere watching it for the next 2 hours.

Im in autopilot mode right now. Wonder how shit it all has to get before I finally decide enough is enough???

I can't ever remember feeling like this. The 2001 - 2003 seasons arrived just in time make me think this club would go places, particularly as those sides seemed to hit that sweet spot of a few Aussie no frills players (Campion, Carlaw, Cleary etc) combined with home grown talent (Meli, Toopi, Ali, Stacey etc). That to me said that once we get recruitment sorted, and once we start seeing more talent from NZ come through the club, we'd have a talent pool unmatched.

Even during the years where we were really struggling for big name players and a proper spine (I'm talking about the Witt, Fien, Rovelli, Gatis, Kirk, Martin, Byrne etc days), my enthusiasm was huge. Two things were different from my perspective then. The first was the player effort, those sides performed at a level greater than the sum of their parts. I don't know whether that was because they were players that were fighting for their opportunity, or whether it was the combination of Ivan/Price. There were some shit performances sure, but they'd at least turn up every season.

The second difference for me, is that the hope of a dominant side once we got the recruitment and junior players right, has basically been extinguished. Ten years ago we never would have attracted the likes of Luke, Foran, RTVS given the status they held in the NRL prior to landing here. I'm talking about their pre-Warriors days. Foran and Luke in the top echelon of their respective positions, RTVS considered as one of the best rookie fullbacks in the game. We have attracted proven quality individuals, yet their performances since arriving have been mostly bad, occasionally average, and very rarely great.

So for me, the 'hope' of things getting better with a more talented roster and stronger juniors is gone. And now that we're here, what's there to actually look forward to? This current side isn't making the finals for the next several years, but what's the fix? Promoting from within only served to hand us our worst ever era, recruiting from outside at the same time has only done the same. The club overall is a basket case, when I think of the clubs in the NRL without a hope over the next 5 years I think Knights and Warriors (+/- Tigers).

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Seeing as this is the group therapy thread I'd like to share some advice for how to handle being dropped from something that you're a part off. Whether it be losing a job, or getting dumped by a girl friend/boy friend, to even getting demoted from a footy team or being banned from a fan forum. Whatever.. Here's some tips.

Step 1: Allow yourself to feel.

Very important. If you feel rage, just scream it out, if you feel sad, have a good cry. Whatever. Just let it all out.

Step 2: Understand the grieving process.

You're going to feel like the world is evil and everyone is against you for a couple of weeks, so just let it happen and ride it out, and know that the mods will let you back on eventually.

Step 3: Practice forgiveness.

See yourself as being the bigger person, and know that holding onto the anger only hurts you. If you try to express that anger Mt Wellington will crack jokes at your expense and then block you from replying. So just let it go.

Step 4: Channel the energy elsewhere.

Have a cry wank, get shitfaced at the pub, search online about how to make fertilizer bombs. Do anything to keep your energy flowing into something that isn't going to make you feel too sad.

Step 5: Maintain your self worth.

Tell yourself that you are the man and they don't deserve you. Boost your ego with statements like, "I'd kick all their asses in a drunken street brawl."

Step 6: Throw out the mementos.

Smash your computer or your I Phone. What ever you used to post on NZWarriors.com must be destroyed.

Step 7: Create your own closure.

Just say to yourself "fuck those cu**s, I'm out."

Step 8: Embrace the impermanence of life.

Know that you're going to die some day and that this shit fest will definitely end then. Be grateful for that at least.

Step 9: Keep the faith.

This step is self explanatory to any long time warriors fan. It basically means don't kill yourself, cause it's not that bad.

Step 10: Seek support.

Get a new phone, get yourself back on the forum and get yourself some likes and funnys for your posts. This way you'll feel like your a part of something good again.

So there you have it. The ten steps on how to handle getting dropped. I hope this helps.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Seeing as this is the group therapy thread I'd like to share some advice for how to handle being dropped from something that you're a part off. Whether it be losing a job, or getting dumped by a girl friend/boy friend, to even getting demoted from a footy team or being banned from a fan forum. Whatever.. Here's some tips.

Very important. If you feel rage, just scream it out, if you feel sad, have a good cry. Whatever. Just let it all out.

You're going to feel like the world is evil and everyone is against you for a couple of weeks, so just let it happen and ride it out, and know that the mods will let you back on eventually.

See yourself as being the bigger person, and know that holding onto the anger only hurts you. If you try to express that anger Mt Wellington will crack jokes at your expense and then block you from replying. So just let it go.

Have a cry wank, get shitfaced at the pub, search online about how to make fertilizer bombs. Do anything to keep your energy flowing into something that isn't going to make you feel too sad.

Tell yourself that you are the man and they don't deserve you. Boost your ego with statements like, "I'd kick all their asses in a drunken street brawl."

Smash your computer or your I Phone. What ever you used to post on NZWarriors.com must be destroyed.

Know that you're going to die some day and that this shit fest will definitely end then. Be grateful for that at least.

This step is self explanatory to any long time warriors fan. It basically means don't kill yourself, cause it's not that bad.

Get a new phone, get yourself back on the forum and get yourself some likes and funnys for your posts. This way you'll feel like your a part of something good again.

So there you have it. The ten steps on how to handle getting dropped. I hope this helps.

Before embarking on Jonno's 10-Step self help program I strongly recommend my fellow sufferers of Worriers Disorder first read 'Man's Search for Meaning' by Viktor Frankl, a man who always gave 110% when everyone around him was gassed after 5 mins. He didn't survive by keeping the faith.

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

Jonno, go get yourself a women. Shag her when you're feeling down. It works for me and I'm sure it will work for you too.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
I look at the Warriors official site and chuckle.

One article is a still shot of Simon and the quote/headline is "Let ourselves down" and that knowing look in Simons eye, the next is "Give up too many point" (yes point) and Kearny looking like a dear in the headlights....

A really good eg of where we're at I thought.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
I look at the Warriors official site and chuckle.

One article is a still shot of Simon and the quote/headline is "Let ourselves down" and that knowing look in Simons eye, the next is "Give up too many point" (yes point) and Kearny looking like a dear in the headlights....
A really good eg of where we're at I thought.

It's like Konrad is the sub-editor. "Give up too many point. Hard to dackle."

Xfactor

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Sydney

:cigar::cigar::cigar: Post of the year right here!

Cheers Jonno we all needed that:joyful::joyful::joyful:

• Haha
Reactions: BeastMode and jonno

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
It's going viral... OMG....

The players are going to find out we care about the team as much as they do.

Reactions: bruce

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings