General Warriors Documentary

amazon made an epic documentary series about the arizona cardinals called all or nothing. it followed them through the whole season. would love to see the warriors do something like this

my two cents on the docco was that i loved it. one important small part i saw was when blake ashyford said he was scared of Corvo on the first day. it then cuts to corvo saying how he doesnt want anyone to fear him but he wants people to respect him. that there i feel is important..... respect. respect for the coaching staff, respect for each other and respect for that jersey. you have respect for someone or something you damn well are going to work your butt off to not let them down. onto another thought..... do these guys know what respect actually is.

i feel confident for this season. not making predictions on winning a gf or even making the 8 but i reckon we will see the guys playing to the bitter end of a game.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
People are entitled to express their opinion, and you yours. I wasn't excited with the first episode, and was disappointed that some guys are still not putting in extras. I was impressed with Alex Corvo and Kearney but I still think they are short of cattle. I thought a lot of the content was lightweight for a genuine league fan.
I am not abusing you for your opinion so don't you abuse me for mine.
Would have rathered they didn't make the doco at all? So you definitely won't be watching the second installment?

Try be half full and appreciate that SKY TV went to some expense to make this at all.

I know we only got a fleeting glimpse of it but it still worries me that as a professional rugby league team playing in top grade rugby league competion in Australia that they are still trying to teach them the basics like catching a ball.
Was that the tennis ball exercise???

Reactions: Warrior482 and DANZ
Again, I watched it and it was "freakin" awesome. It was good to see what actually goes on behind the scenes. Too many people read into too many things....1st training session after the xmas break will always be bad.....How many here struggle to get back into work mode after an extended holiday, I for one do. SK ripping into someone not playing the ball correctly is great coaching. that's his job. NRL said they will crack down on it so he is just reinforcing this, like he should.

If posters on here did not like the show for what it was, a brief look into the behind the scenes of a "NRL" club, then the need to take a chill pill.

Will this show make 2018 successful, No

Will this show help us sign better players, No

Will this show give fans a small insight to what happens during the off season, then yes.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Last edited:
Would have rathered they didn't make the doco at all? So you definitely won't be watching the second installment?

Try be half full and appreciate that SKY TV went to some expense to make this at all.

Was that the tennis ball exercise???

Yeah, sorry. I should have said.

Yeah it was tennis ball exercise. Maybe things are different now but I was really surprise to see them all practicing something like that as it was something that I remember doing as kid during P.E to teach us all basic ball handling skills since those were days back in 1980s when every kid in class was still expected to play some kind of sport at school I.e Rugby for boys, Netball/Basketball for girls. Me, I played ancient Chinese martial art of go fuck yourselves and never turned up ... ;)

bruce

Contributor
Love how all the swearing and what not was unedited but Kearney was heavily edited. So good to not hear all the umms and the ahhs and all the normal noises he makes before answering a question
Kearney is actually a very good speaker, he just hates the press.
I don't care what SKYTV do with their money, the doco didn't do much for me at all, just my opinion. Yes I will watch the second installment hoping there is something in it worth watching.
To post on this forum does one have to applaud any fart the club makes?
You sense I am pissed off, yes, because although I am 100% sure that Kearney, Corvo and Brian Smith are doing their best behind the scenes the doco showed that some of our cattle still don't get what is required in the NRL.

Kearney is actually a very good speaker, he just hates the press.

I don't care what SKYTV do with their money, the doco didn't do much for me at all, just my opinion. Yes I will watch the second installment hoping there is something in it worth watching.

To post on this forum does one have to applaud any fart the club makes?
You sense I am pissed off, yes, because although I am 100% sure that Kearney, Corvo and Brian Smith are doing their best behind the scenes the doco showed that some of our cattle still don't get what is required in the NRL.
Which cattle don't get it and which part in the shiw highlights this?

Reactions: Warrior482
Yeah, sorry. I should have said.

Yeah it was tennis ball exercise. Maybe things are different now but I was really surprise to see them all practicing something like that as it was something that I remember doing as kid during P.E to teach us all basic ball handling skills since those were days back in 1980s when every kid in class was still expected to play some kind of sport at school I.e Rugby for boys, Netball/Basketball for girls. Me, I played ancient Chinese martial art of go fuck yourselves and never turned up ... ;)

My take on the tennis ball exercise was one of basic catching under pressure, soft hands etc. To catch any type of ball regardless of whether it's a tennis ball, cricket ball or rugby ball, you need to "give" with the ball to absorb the velocity and ensure it doesn't pop out of your hands. A tennis ball by it's nature increases the likelihood of this "pop" which makes it the perfect exercise to sharpen catching skills.

How many times did we see balls go down in the last 20 minutes last season. Basic skills suffer under fatigue and duress. Hopefully this tennis ball drill was done after a hard training session and/or with lots of pressure (i.e lots of balls being hit in quick succession).

On a similar note, I would have liked to see a rugby ball being used while climbing the dunes. Pass the ball along the line and back all the way up the hill. Whoever drops it has to either stop it from rolling back down the dune (much like you would scramble to pick up a loose ball in a game) or you have to run down the dune to collect the ball and make your way back up.

Catching and passing is easy during training drills when there is no opposition and no pressure.

It's another thing entirely when you're physically and mentally fucked.

Blair just said he was looking forward to doing the Mahi ( work) with the brothers then sat down.

Clearly he didn't think that his official induction as a Warrior needed a long speech.

All the man said humbly was that he enjoys working with his mates.

I think the Warriors need that type of humility and do as I do stuff reinforced heaps more than leaving it to Mannerings Southern man character.

Last edited:

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Blair just said he was looking forward to doing the Mahi ( work) with the brothers then sat down.

Clearly he didn't think that his official induction as a Warrior needed a long speech.

I think the Warriors need that type of humility and do as I do stuff reinforced heaps more than leaving it to Mannerings Southern man reserve.

Not sure i agree. It doesnt match the grub he’s known to be on the field.

We need talkers.

Way too many quiet ones already.

I think this is why Kearney was such a fantastic player and leader on the field.

He spoke and followed up with action.

We need more Stephen Kearney type PLAYERS. Key word PLAYER.

Tui i thought had the right character to lead this team, strong and opinionated but he’s gone and fucked it all up with his attitude.

And this is our problem. Our future leaders with the voice and strong characters dont have the right attitude installed on them.... lost potential

Last edited:

bruce

Contributor
Which cattle don't get it and which part in the shiw highlights this?
There was a part in the doco where Kearney in a very polite and calm voice mentions that the only players who hadn't met their targets were those who didn't do extras. Heyzeuss spare me I would like to hear Bellamy getting into them over that. This club is in the shite, the last thing it needs is slackarses who don't want to do extras. It shows a slack attitude, has been endemic in the club since day one, and it is still there. I rest my case ladies and jellybeans.

bruce

Contributor

I was surprised. He is a Maori from a family with considerable mana, maybe he left new Zealand before he had the opportunity to speak on a Marae.

Looking forward to the next episode already.
Lol, i thought he said get the money with the brothers, jesus Adam, you didnt have to come right out and say it!
Mate that Doco could have been an award winner had they cut to fan comments like this.

Would have been farken hilarious....truly warts and all with input from the great un washed.

" hey I'm one of the haters since 95....I said something stink on an internet forum....probably caused use to lose the world cup....I take it all back coz I want use to win"

I was surprised. He is a Maori from a family with considerable mana, maybe he left new Zealand before he had the opportunity to speak on a Marae.
Blair has kind of come in as teachers pet via Kearney.

He is probably a bit shy about being well paid at the death of his career and has talked lots in kiwi camps as an ex Captain etc so he's just wanting to deliver with actions first

He has to reconcile his avoidance of the Warriors as a playing option through the height of his career to linking up at the trough now.

I'm just guessing of course....but I think Adam is saying no speeches....I'm here to work....that will be my speech.

Last edited:
Hated seeing Kearney say he could accept them not putting in today because it is first day back but not again. That to me epitomises the issues within the club. There is no way in hell Craig Bellamy or Wayne Bennett would accept lazy training because it is first day back.

Heyzeuss spare me I would like to hear Bellamy getting into them over that.

Indeed, how would Bennet and Bellamy react to this situation? Who to trust? Someone that's spent months and months working closely with Bennet and Bellamy? Or two random forum posters. who insist they know how those two would do it