ToiletDuck

Administrator
Brilliant post and thanks for sharing but I am going to have a go anyway because I can, and I think it makes the Forum a more democratic vehicle than say a forum where people who have personal lines into to players or medical degrees could enjoy a god like un questioned status (whereas pricks like me like to have their say in any case, which is what keeps talk back shows alive...the vehicle of the ignorant).

Devils advocate in other words.

As always I do so with the utmost respect of the informed.

Ok so I have no idea how well NZ Medical school graduates are schooled in the dynamic between knowledge and power. I have never studied medicine so I don't know if in this present age whether Doctors are educated in the great void in terms of power versus powerlessness that they hold all the Ammo in any Dr patient relationship.

I also have no idea as to whether any Dr has a grasp that on average they come from a privileged class, who accordingly may not be best placed to under stand the thinking of the masses.

Excuse the rant but there is a disconnect between academics and the rest when it comes to argument.

Your argument is essentially...that because the owner of the OP doesn't know who to direct questions at...then questions shouldn't be asked ?

I know that is a simplification and not really what you intended....but it is the shiedl your profession and mine uses to hide behind good sir.

There is an old saying.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Ask Herbet Green the World Authority on Cancer at National Womens who killed hundreds of NZ Wives and Mothers because he was above questions.

RTS should have not weight beared coming off the field. Nor should have Johnson.

There is something wrong in the Warriors system.

This may or may not be the fault of the Warriors chief medical officer.....still questions are relevant since the clubs practices are on telly, which opened a can of worms for the great unwashed onlooking public...whether we are even entitled to answers or not is as you say...protected in legislation.

The clubs in the NRL share that info with the media every time since it sells news and promotes the code.

The only stuff that gets rightly protected is issues with Stigma attached.....mental illness etc...

No one trys to keep a knee injury secret.

I understand what you're saying but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I am absolutely all for asking questions, I actually encourage it almost above all else. Reason being that vast majority of anger and frustration involves miscommunication to at least some degree. What I was saying above applied to almost any profession, being uneducated about a subject is absolutely fine. What is not okay however is discussing someone's profession and asking actual questions about their suitability to carry out a job without the slightest hint as to what you're even asking, as I've said above. I have little working knowledge of things many people would consider absolutely basic, but I ask questions if I don't understand. What I do not do however is ask leading questions that are designed to attribute blame before I have even done the most basic of groundwork. If my car breaks down I don't accusingly ask my mechanic what he's done wrong before I've even begun to educate myself around the sort of questions I should be asking. If my dishwasher breaks I don't sack my plumber or my electrician if a light bulb blows. If I feel like they've done a bad job, and bad things happen, then sure. If the OP had done some groundwork on the supposed issues and asked appropriate questions, then by all means. But watching a random player cop a random injury and then questioning a person's role based on almost less than nothing, I have little time for it.

Anyway happy to continue the discussion re the divide between medical profession and the public via PM, just so we don't pollute the Doc Mayhew thread. I just read the news about him too, unfortunate coincidence given the timing of this thread. Sounds like it was a significant event and here's hoping he's okay, haven't met him but he's always spoken of in the highest regard by other medico's, players, public alike.

All the very best wishes to Doc. Speedy recovery. Our Team needs you back!

On a more cynical note, did anyone else notice the NZHerald web page headlines...
''A family spokesperson has confirmed the former All Blacks doctor had a cardiac arrest last night as a result of a heart problem''

Even at that level the media is very reluctant to acknowledge our Club and League in general. Had he been at the club 6 months fair enough, but later in the article they rather sheepishly mention it's been almost 10 years. The establishment rules!

It's kinda weird seeing a doctor/gp/medic get sick, you think it doesn't happen to them.

Sometimes doctors and medics need help themselves.

Get well Doc Mayhew all the best with recovery.

Reactions: Nahz and eudebrito

bruce

Contributor
It's kinda weird seeing a doctor/gp/medic get sick, you think it doesn't happen to them.

Sometimes doctors and medics need help themselves.

Get well Doc Mayhew all the best with recovery.
Heart attacks don't come with a warning. Whatever happens to him, and I think he will probably recover, his life will never be the same again. I wish him well and I just hope the Warriors have somebody to stand in if he can't continue.

Former All Blacks and Blues coach Sir John Kirwan has spoken of his love for John Mayhew, after the high-profile elite sport doctor suffered cardiac arrest and was later put in an induced coma.
Sir John tonight told the Herald he was praying for Mayhew.

"The man saved my life, so obviously I'm praying for him and for [his wife] Sue and the family ... I just love the man."

A long-time advocate for mental health awareness, Sir John described in his book, All Blacks Don't Cry, how he and his family contacted Mayhew after the star wing realised he needed help for depression.

"Together, we rang Doc Mayhew - the All Black doctor, John Mayhew, who had become a family friend over the years - and he came round. He said - 'I don't know a lot about it but I'll get you some help'," Sir John wrote.

Sir John said he had spoken with Mrs Mayhew, but did not want to go into detail.

He was confident Mayhew - "a brilliant and strong man" - would recover.

Sir John said he was not aware of Mayhew suffering from health problems.

"He's always been fit and healthy. I just saw him on the sideline for the Warriors on Saturday."

Mayhew grew up in a soccer family - his grandfather captained the Wolverhampton Wanderers - and he played soccer and cricket before switching to rugby at age 15, after which he played a couple of games for North Harbour B.

In support of Mt W I will not reveal my source.

Dr John Mayhew out of induced coma, progressing well
11:53 AM Thursday Apr 21, 2016

GettyImages-108846462_620x310.jpg

Dr John Mayhew was rushed to hospital but details of why he became unwell are not clear. Photo / Getty Images

Warriors doctor John Mayhew is no longer in an induced coma and is progressing well after suffering cardiac arrest on Tuesday night, the club has said.

In a statement the Warriors said the former All Black and Blues doctor has been talking with his family and is very comfortable.

Mayhew collapsed after an exercise class in Auckland on Tuesday and a family spokesperson confirmed yesterday he had a cardiac arrest as a result of a heart problem.

The 60-year-old was successfully resuscitated and put in an induced coma in intensive care in North Shore Hospital.

Former Blues coach Sir John Kirwan tonight told the Herald he was praying for Mayhew.

"The man saved my life, so obviously I'm praying for him and for [his wife] Sue and the family ... I just love the man."

A long-time advocate for mental health awareness, Sir John described in his book, All Blacks Don't Cry, how he and his family contacted Mayhew after the star wing realised he needed help for depression.

"Together, we rang Doc Mayhew - the All Black doctor, John Mayhew, who had become a family friend over the years - and he came round. He said - 'I don't know a lot about it but I'll get you some help'," Sir John wrote.

Sir John said he had spoken with Mrs Mayhew, but did not want to go into detail.

He was confident Mayhew - "a brilliant and strong man" - would recover.

Sir John said he was not aware of Mayhew suffering from health problems.

"He's always been fit and healthy. I just saw him on the sideline for the Warriors on Saturday."

Mayhew grew up in a soccer family - his grandfather captained the Wolverhampton Wanderers - and he played soccer and cricket before switching to rugby at age 15, after which he played a couple of games for North Harbour B.

Mayhew, who was on the sidelines for 131 All Blacks tests, has been the team doctor for the Warriors for most of the past decade. He became an Officer of the NZ Order of Merit for his services to sports medicine in the New Years Honours List.

He was also the medical officer for Kiwi squash, cross-country and Commonwealth Games teams. Last year he was appointed to the board of Drug Free Sport New Zealand.

Among the sportspeople he became close to was late All Blacks superstar Jonah Lomu, who suffered from a kidney disorder that contributed to his death, aged 40, in November.

Mayhew, a pall-bearer at Lomu's Eden Park memorial service, said at the time he always admired Lomu for his courage in pushing

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11626383

first its sack doc now he is crook
its get well its amazing how things quickly change especially when the warriors are playing poorly if they were playing great we would not be talking anything about doc
or anything else

Anyway happy to continue the discussion re the divide between medical profession and the public via PM, just so we don't pollute the Doc Mayhew thread. I just read the news about him too, unfortunate coincidence given the timing of this thread. Sounds like it was a significant event and here's hoping he's okay, haven't met him but he's always spoken of in the highest regard by other medico's, players, public alike.
You're a Good man TD, I've lost my appetite for it tbf.

I was just trying to stir up a debate, ended up veering off on a tangent from what you were actually saying (grasping at straws I think they call it).

Hope the blokes OK, latest developments sound promising.

Mending Mayhew thanks his saviours

SCCZEN_A_290914HOSMAYHEW2_620x310.jpg

High-profile sports doctor John Mayhew has thanked the people who saved his life.

The Warriors team doctor, who also spent 15 years as the doctor to the All Blacks, went into cardiac arrest after an exercise class in Auckland on Tuesday.

Gym staff performed CPR and a defibrillator was used to restart his heart.

Dr Mayhew was later put in an induced coma at North Shore Hospital, before being transferred to Auckland City Hospital.

Dr Mayhew's brother, Simon Mayhew, also a GP, said last night that the 60-year-old was doing well.

"He's had a really good day, he's really comfortable."

Both his brother and sister-in-law, Sue Mayhew, wanted to thank those who came to Dr Mayhew's aid - first at the scene, then at North Shore Hospital and now at Auckland City Hospital.

"The number one thing they want to say is thank you ... he just can't thank people enough for the really excellent care right from the very start, from the fantastic people at the gym that he doesn't know but wants to meet to the staff at North Shore and Auckland hospitals. They said 'we are just so grateful'."

The father-of-four also wanted to remind people of the importance of early CPR and the use of defibrillators, Simon Mayhew said.

"It just saves lives. He's testament to that. A number of people have said they've gone and checked where their work defibrillators are and patients have told me they want do a CPR course."

Dr Mayhew suffered cardiac arrest because of a heart problem.

Simon Mayhew did not know when his brother would be able to leave hospital.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11627355

Great news. Glade he's coming right.

So my next question is, what kind of pressure was he under here at the Warriors to be giving him a heart attack?

Sorry, bad joke. Just wanted to keep the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Injury witch hunt going a little longer...

But just to add another aspect to this debate. What kind of player education around injuries do we have in place here at the Warrior Nation?

Surely Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would have felt feelings in his knee that could have told him to get off the field and onto the ice after the first tweak. If he'd been better educated on what signs to look for himself, to do a self assessment on the field, he might have been able to avoid this long layoff..

Just talking out of my hole here, but maybe it could help with our injury rates...

Great news. Glade he's coming right.

So my next question is, what kind of pressure was he under here at the Warriors to be giving him a heart attack?

Sorry, bad joke. Just wanted to keep the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Injury witch hunt going a little longer...

But just to add another aspect to this debate. What kind of player education around injuries do we have in place here at the Warrior Nation?

Surely Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would have felt feelings in his knee that could have told him to get off the field and onto the ice after the first tweak. If he'd been better educated on what signs to look for himself, to do a self assessment on the field, he might have been able to avoid this long layoff..

Just talking out of my hole here, but maybe it could help with our injury rates...

The guy himself thought he was OK after the first instance. As far as medical staff goes they rely a lot on players input, so in this instance an awfully long bow has been drawn to blame Doc Mayhew and the staff.

All the best to John and his family.

The guy himself thought he was OK after the first instance. As far as medical staff goes they rely a lot on players input, so in this instance an awfully long bow has been drawn to blame Doc Mayhew and the staff.

All the best to John and his family.
That's my point. With some more education maybe Sheck would have called it right the first time and Doc would have had the right information to get him off the field before it was Lets Gone Warriors.

That's my point. With some more education maybe Sheck would have called it right the first time and Doc would have had the right information to get him off the field before it was Lets Gone Warriors.

I see what you mean, but players want to play, that's why they are called players, they will be optimistic.

I see what you mean, but players want to play, that's why they are called players, they will be optimistic.
Year well sometimes a little pessimism can be useful as well.. I personally don't rate my chances of winning a UFC fight.. Does that make me a pessimist?

If Sheck had only had a little speck of doubt in his mind at that crucial time...:rolleyes:

The problem with this one is generally one of the big tell tale signs is the popping noise. Listening to Roger, he never mentioned it. It seems a lot of the traditional symptoms weren't that apparent. From the way Roger described it you'd be odds on thinking a collision injury like knee bruising or a sprain.

Reactions: nzw

bruce

Contributor
The problem with this one is generally one of the big tell tale signs is the popping noise. Listening to Roger, he never mentioned it. It seems a lot of the traditional symptoms weren't that apparent. From the way Roger described it you'd be odds on thinking a collision injury like knee bruising or a sprain.
Strong quad muscles will lessen the strain lost from an ACL rupture. My guess is his quads are so strong that he thought he was ok. He would have been in pain but then again they often are anyway.