General Warriors' cool factor grows brand in Australia

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Warriors have been voted the third "coolest" team in the NRL behind only the Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos, according to results of a research survey completed by Gemba Group.
Australasian company Gemba Group, which works as a management and marketing consultancy in the sports, media and entertainment industries, and counts the likes of Sport NZ, New Zealand Cricket and Puma as clients, undertook a survey in April to determine the awareness and likeability of a variety of sports teams and athletes.
A total of 1500 people, aged between 16 to 64, and split evenly between males and females, throughout all regions of Australia took part.
And while the champion Storm and Bronco outfits naturally delivered showings as strong as their on-field results in the questions relating to the NRL, the Warriors also surprisingly featured highly in a host of categories.
Despite being based in Auckland, the success of the New Zealand franchise in recent seasons appears to have struck a chord with Aussie sports fans.
They are, according to the Gemba report, now considered by Australians to be the fourth most popular sports team in the NRL.
They are also rated as one of the most successful teams in the competition, are seen as inspiring, on the way up, exciting and boast integrity.
Coach Brian McClennan's team is also viewed as innovative, modern, cool and down to earth.
"I think it's great and being seen as a top-of-the-line team is about being present and contemporary," Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah said.
"Being cool means that you are considered fashionable and while staying fashionable is a big challenge, it's wonderful to see that a New Zealand-based team has scored highly in Australia.
"This also opens up a lot of opportunities within the Australian market as well."
On the flipside, however, the Warriors were associated with exclusivity by six per cent of fans and dubbed arrogant by 10 per cent, putting them inside the top five in both unwanted categories.
"We certainly don't intend to come across as arrogant. Understanding what fans mean when they say we are is something we'd like to do," Scurrah said.
"Maybe what's linked to arrogance is that we are seen as inaccessible because we are only in Australia for short periods of time. Perhaps that's what it relates to.
"We probably need to look at opportunities that make us more accessible in Australia to dispel that opinion, because our club is certainly not an arrogant club."
From regions across Australia, including AFL-mad Melbourne and Perth, 67 per cent of surveyed participants knew who the Warriors were, with 12 per cent of those dubbing them their favourite team.
The Warriors were also rated eighth overall in the NRL for the power of their brand – ahead of the Titans, Knights, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles, Sharks, Panthers, Roosters and Raiders.
Of the other teams in the competition, the Storm, unsurprisingly given the salary cap scandal in 2010, were considered the most deceptive, but also rated highly for having integrity.
"One of the big things that we are aware of is that our support from fans away from home is growing," Scurrah said.
"We've really noticed in the last two or three seasons that our brand is growing and that we are getting a real Kiwi presence at games in Australia.
"In some cases, it looks like we've got the support of half the crowd."
- © Fairfax NZ News
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7280721/Warriors-cool-factor-grows-brand-in-Australia

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
the Storm, unsurprisingly given the salary cap scandal in 2010, were considered the most deceptive, but also rated highly for having integrity.
Melbourne have integrity???

I better check the meaning of the word, cos obviously I have misunderstood.

I don't consider any team that pushes the limits of the rules so much that rules have to be put in place constantly to protect the opponents can't possibly have integrity.
I also can't see how a team can be considered deceptive but also have integrity.

There is no way I would consider Melbourne being honest and having strong moral principles or moral uprightness.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
^^^ You have an Eye for detail like no one else Nig......

I was reading what i wanted from that article and seeing reinforcement of my ' Warriors to take over the world ' vision.

The Melbourne Storm Integrity anomaly = the survey is all bollocks....yet again the Storm taint the water.....

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Brisbane I can understand but Melbourne,they must be taking the proverbial.i wonder where that survey was taken? lygon street..what about the bunnies. they, buy as much merchindaise as us.if it goes by brand.the three clubs should be in this order
#1 brisbane
#2 warriors
#3 south Sydney
The warriors are a bit like the oakland raiders in the NFL. the fans like the merchindaise it's cool to be seen in it.even if you don't support us

Reaction score
KingBubz

KingBubz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The warriors are a bit like the oakland raiders in the NFL. the fans like the merchindaise it's cool to be seen in it.even if you don't support us
Haha great call... Followed the Oakland Raiders for about 15 years now, love that stuff

Reaction score
charlie bobmarley

charlie bobmarley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Pretty much what I would expect from my experience over here. Warriors would probably make top 4 in a The Least Unpopular Team Poll
Not part of the Qld v NSW scene or the Sydney club rivalry & we got a recognisable logo

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Pretty much what I would expect from my experience over here. Warriors would probably make top 4 in a The Least Unpopular Team Poll
Not part of the Qld v NSW scene or the Sydney club rivalry & we got a recognisable logo
Plus alot of ex-pat Kiwis who would rather support a nz based team than an Ozzie team.

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The warriors would have a pretty big following on the GC wouldn't they CBM? You must see a lot of warriors gear being worn. I am always amazed when visiting the Gold Coast at the amount of Titans gear available at department stores and being worn by tourists at theme parks. Pity those sales don't turn into game day ticket sales.

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Haha great call... Followed the Oakland Raiders for about 15 years now, love that stuff
I like the Cleveland browns.they don't win that offen but their have some cool looking gear. the raiders gear up in auks gets pinched off the line,quite a often so all are sports gear we buy now goes in the dryer.warning don't hang your clothes on the line in titarangi

Reaction score
charlie bobmarley

charlie bobmarley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The warriors would have a pretty big following on the GC wouldn't they CBM? You must see a lot of warriors gear being worn. I am always amazed when visiting the Gold Coast at the amount of Titans gear available at department stores and being worn by tourists at theme parks. Pity those sales don't turn into game day ticket sales.
I think when ever or where ever we play in Oz for the local Kiwis its a National Pride situation, like our own Waitangi Day. ( Apologies to Sup42. not saying that its comparable to the theft of Maori land or the demise of Maori Sovereignty but just a day we can be proud of being from NZ )

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Oakland? Pfffft LA Raiders mate all day hahaha

One thing I must say that I notice (in Auckland in particular) is that we might be the ugly sister to Union but your 5 times more likely to see someone wearing a Warriors jersey, top, hat, etc than your likely to see an All Black, Super 14 or ITM item. Wear your heart on your sleeve anyone?

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Oakland? Pfffft LA Raiders mate all day hahaha

One thing I must say that I notice (in Auckland in particular) is that we might be the ugly sister to Union but your 5 times more likely to see someone wearing a Warriors jersey, top, hat, etc than your likely to see an All Black, Super 14 or ITM item. Wear your heart on your sleeve anyone?
It went from being the Okland raiders to the LA raiders back to.the Okland raiders.I liked them to when they where in LA .browns and jets for me now

Top Bottom