General Warriors Are Looking To Entertain

Jesbass_old

From www.nrl.com:

The New Zealand Warriors may have fallen just short of the finals but they haven’t spoken about the “what ifs†preferring to build a platform for next season.

The Warriors have won three in a row heading into Sunday’s clash with the Roosters at Mount Smart stadium and will farewell two Internationals and watch Ruben Wiki break Stephen’s Kearney’s record for most games by a Kiwi in the Premiership.

Wiki will play his 265th top grade game while veteran Awen Guttenbeil and fullback Brent Webb say goodbye to the Auckland crowd.

After 11 seasons and 168 games for the Warriors Guttenbeil is off to Castleford to finish his career and he says Ruben’s record and the send offs are on the back burner.

“Those things are very important to us but more importantly we need to win our last 2 games particularly this one at home. Our crowds haven’t been great this year so we just want to put on a good entertaining game for our fans to show them what we can build on next year.â€Â

The big backrower has no regrets despite a wish to play the big games of the NRL finals one last time.

“The time is right to leave. The club is in good shape. We’ve won 7 of our last 10 games, if the season was a few weeks longer maybe we would really have been up there!â€Â

Cairns born Webb became a New Zealand citizen during his time with the Warriors and wants to finish on a high note.

“I was looking for a berth in the semis but we fell short. All in all I’m pretty happy with the year. It hasn’t sunk in yet that I’m leaving, that will probably happen after the season at the moment I just want to concentrate on these last two games.â€Â

The current Kiwi fullback is only 25 and while he hasn’t ruled out a return to the NRL later in his career he says it’s not high on his priorities at the moment.

“My plan at this stage is to go to the UK and try to make it there and it’s probably where I’ll finish. Never say never, but I don’t know what the future holds.â€Â

Webb is not even sure which country he will live in when he hangs up his boots.

“Probably wherever I can get a good job!â€Â

Before he heads to Leeds Webb will be in the New Zealand side that defends its tri-nations crown and he says beating Australia for the title once was great, to do it again will be even harder.

“That would be a dream come true and we’ve got our work cut out for us, we go into camp in early October and hopefully I can get a run.â€Â

Ten test veteran Guttenbeil isn’t in the Kiwi squad but he’d love to be a part of a tri-nations tournament in Australia and New Zealand.

“I’ll certainly put my hand up to play. If I’m asked I’ll give it my best shot.â€Â

Guttenbeil has enjoyed his decade at the club on the rollercoaster of highs and lows, with the 2002 Grand Final the standout.

He says now is the time to leave with Ivan Cleary the right man to lead the club to those highs again.

“Yeah for sure, you just have to look at where the club is now after the past couple of years, although we’re not in the semis, it really is a great place to be and we’re on the way up. We’ve given a lot of young guys a run this year and as they mature it’s only going to get better for the club.â€Â

The 30-year-old stll can’t come to grips that his time at the Warriors is drawing to a close.

“I can’t actually. Eleven years is a long time! I guess once the games over I’ll certainly miss it, but I just want to enjoy it and play as well as I can for the team and it will be even more special if we can chalk up a win for the team.â€Â

warriorfaithful*_old

Another article that makes me sad that we only have 2 more games til webby and awen depart!! :) . But the future looks bright and i like this whole 'building a platform thing'.

warriors4life_old

Good luck to them for the future and beyond, they have been great players for our club in their time here and they will continue to give their all for the black jersey in the international arena hopefully.

BigD_old

Will it be an Emotional Farewell like for that of

Stacey and Logan Swann. I wonder?

Alot of Placards and signs etc....
from the crowd

warriors4life_old

BigD said:
Will it be an Emotional Farewell like for that of

Stacey and Logan Swann. I wonder?

Alot of Placards and signs etc....
from the crowd

Hope so, these players have given a lot to the club in their time here, each over 100 matches for the Warriors, so it's only fair that they get something back.

AmeriKiwi_old

I hope there`s a good turnout on Sunday... a great way for the fans to show their appreciation for both Webb and Guttenbeil. Promises to be a great game, too!!

Skinny_Ravs82

While it most definitely is sad, let us not think of it that way. Get out there and support the boys, have fun and just enjoying watching them!

Esoj_old

it will be a touch sad for awen and webby last game in front of the home crowd at mt smart. hopefully the good form of the team can continue and they can send awen and webby off with a win.

Skinny_Ravs82

Esoj said:
it will be a touch sad for awen and webby last game in front of the home crowd at mt smart. hopefully the good form of the team can continue and they can send awen and webby off with a win.

Absolutely!

warriorfaithful*_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Esoj said:

Absolutely!

Yeah. Hopefuly they can give webby and awen a better farewell in front of the faithful than they did with stacey jones last year. :)

Skinny_Ravs82

warriorfaithful* said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Esoj said:

Absolutely!

Yeah. Hopefuly they can give webby and awen a better farewell in front of the faithful than they did with stacey jones last year. :)

We was robbed in that game! :p

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~*_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
warriorfaithful* said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Esoj said:

Absolutely!

ino aye! we were denied like three tries that were actually tries!!!! we shouldv of won that :(

warriors4life_old

TUAKURA***AHVAN said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
warriorfaithful* said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Esoj said:

Absolutely!

ino aye! we were denied like three tries that were actually tries!!!! we shouldv of won that :(

Probably only 1 or 2 of them were tries, there were a couple that were very questionable, including one that wasn't a try.