General Warriors Academy and Development Discussion Thread

Just gotta say ladies and jellybeans, if there is one things Merkins know how to do is develop sport.

They know to the last brass razoo how much it costs to get a player to first grade of anything MLB, NFL or whatever. They spend their money there first before even thinking about first grade.

A bit like if you want a flash car, you have to find the money to buy it first, not put it on a credit card.

The NRL has it arse about face,

Remind me who owns the NRL again?
Is this going to be a weekly question?

The NRL is run by the ARLC. But technically the game of rugby league in Australia is owned by the 16 NRL clubs and the two state leagues. I'm guessing there will be a change next year with Redcliffe coming in if anyone has thought about what happens with expansion.

The reason I know this is it's been stated in articles since the ARL/News Limited partnership ended and it also stuck out as all the talk before the Commission took over was about the tough decisions like cutting Sydney clubs. How can they do that if the clubs are owners. They can just ditch the Commissioners and get new ones. We have already seen an instance a few years back where the clubs decided to make things difficult and push their weight around.

Anyone in the know able to tell me what association the Warriors had with the Western Clydesdales this season? I see 2 juniors played a game for them
Screenshot_20220923-113111_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Lleyton Finau is a free agent he wasn’t retained by us , i saw footage of sefanaia playing fullback for the brighton roosters in the BRL GF game , i’m not sure if he’s still with the warriors or not

Reactions: Cces
Final day for the region of origin boys tomorrow. Most of the Warriors U14s are spread across the North and Souths U14s teams. Unfortunately for the Norths side, the bigger forwards are playing for Souths so Norths have had heavy losses so far. Norths aren't playing Souths in any age group tomorrow though as two of the three grades have already been decided so they're all playing visiting BOP and Waikato sides instead.

Did anyone else catch the region of origin series? If so, what was your take on the standard of footy?

While I was there, I heard that the Warriors were planning to scale back the numbers in the youngest grades, from 30 plus players to 10 'elite' players in each age group. I don't know what the reasoning was for it but it's seems short-sighted given that the Roosters, Bulldogs and Broncos are all sounding out junior talent in Auckland.

Did anyone else catch the region of origin series? If so, what was your take on the standard of footy?

While I was there, I heard that the Warriors were planning to scale back the numbers in the youngest grades, from 30 plus players to 10 'elite' players in each age group. I don't know what the reasoning was for it but it's seems short-sighted given that the Roosters, Bulldogs and Broncos are all sounding out junior talent in Auckland.

Warriors short sighted? Never!

I'm assuming $$$ is part of the reason.

Putting all eggs in one basket when youngster development varies drastically is such a Warriors thing to do.

This is why we will continue to fail. They want the best results but have no intention of investing what's necessary to get those results.

Panthers are churning out junior players into first graders because they have a ridiculous amount of juniors and teams so they can cherry pick the best who actually prove themselves first.

For us to think we can focus on 10 guys and strike gold in every batch is pretty laughable when there's 15 other clubs circling waiting to grab the ones deemed "not elite enough" at an age where that judgement is extremely foolish.

Warriors short sighted? Never!

I'm assuming $$$ is part of the reason.

Putting all eggs in one basket when youngster development varies drastically is such a Warriors thing to do.

This is why we will continue to fail. They want the best results but have no intention of investing what's necessary to get those results.

Panthers are churning out junior players into first graders because they have a ridiculous amount of juniors and teams so they can cherry pick the best who actually prove themselves first.

For us to think we can focus on 10 guys and strike gold in every batch is pretty laughable when there's 15 other clubs circling waiting to grab the ones deemed "not elite enough" at an age where that judgement is extremely foolish.
It was second hand info so might be something they're just thinking about but if true, they're casting a small net.

I thought the standard of footy at ROO was good considering how disjointed the last few years have been. I've been watching videos of development teams from the NRL and the top sports high school teams in the u13s to u15s grades and our boys look to be faster and more physical but our fields are shit compared to the Australian fields. The BOP sides were really competitive. The Waikato sides all struggled but there were players in each team that would be worth developing if the Warriors were looking outside their backyard.

It was second hand info so might be something they're just thinking about but if true, they're casting a small net.

I thought the standard of footy at ROO was good considering how disjointed the last few years have been. I've been watching videos of development teams from the NRL and the top sports high school teams in the u13s to u15s grades and our boys look to be faster and more physical but our fields are shit compared to the Australian fields. The BOP sides were really competitive. The Waikato sides all struggled but there were players in each team that would be worth developing if the Warriors were looking outside their backyard.

Given our history it's hard not to believe there's some truth to it as an initial reaction.

Of course to counter that there's always the issue of what do we do with our juniors if we sign up a bunch of them? Get them to play union in the meantime? Bad idea. Send them to Australia? Worse idea. Without regular meaningful games and decent coaching to develop them as players we're very limited in regards to options. Even if we had full SG Ball and Flegg teams we'd still be limited in numbers.

A bit damned if we do, damned if we don't without proper funding to the sports grassroots.

Discussions on the recruitment thread about a young Auckland player going to Penrith. Besides being a successful club and lots of players coming through they have the new academy or centre of excellence they built while Gould was there. That would be attractive for any young player deciding on which club they'd like to go to.

We have been hampered a lot due to covid and not being on the ground in Auckland.

The club has a lot of work to do getting all of this talk about development or investing in the club in place.

We don't know how detailed Gould's plans were. A centre of excellence like Penrith have would require land unless they have space available around Mt Smart. Owning the land would be better.

If they use Gould's plans or McFadden works on his own they need to see it through.

Penrith had some criticism for Goulds "five year plan" but look at them now after 10 years.

Discussions on the recruitment thread about a young Auckland player going to Penrith. Besides being a successful club and lots of players coming through they have the new academy or centre of excellence they built while Gould was there. That would be attractive for any young player deciding on which club they'd like to go to.

We have been hampered a lot due to covid and not being on the ground in Auckland.

The club has a lot of work to do getting all of this talk about development or investing in the club in place.

We don't know how detailed Gould's plans were. A centre of excellence like Penrith have would require land unless they have space available around Mt Smart. Owning the land would be better.

If they use Gould's plans or McFadden works on his own they need to see it through.

Penrith had some criticism for Goulds "five year plan" but look at them now after 10 years.
Yeah he's not that young at 17 although the Warriors have had a hand in some of his development I guess. It's mistake for him to go to Penrith, too hard a path through to first grade and he doesn't fit the mould of most of the Panthers first grade team of 6 foot and 90-95kgs. Francis would be 6'2 and 110kgs and wears strapping in every game for Kings so there's probably some joint concerns there. League's not the game for him IMO, Penrith will either make or break him.

In my limited experience, all 15 clubs aren't actively scouting in Auckland, certainly not in the younger grades. The NZ secondary school comp gets more scouts though.

Last edited:
Hopefully the club go all in on fixing their development systems. When Gould left they said he had it all designed but not being able to get hear was too much of a hurdle to complete the task.

McFadden coming in as General Manager of development and pathways is either here to implement Gould's plans or his own direction. Either way its still working on our development systems.

As much as the 5 year plan was a running joke when Gould started at the Panthers. If you look back at 2011 when they recruited our coach they had a worse starting point but are going well now, whereas we have gone backwards. Three teams playing on Grand Final day should of been a good starting point.

It is well known we struggle to recruit the top-tier players. If we get our development right we can get to a position we are only recruiting on positions we have gaps in our development. The halves or dummy half might have years where there isn't anyone ready in our system. Having to recruit less could mean more money for when we do need to recruit and hopefully a better quality of player.

If we can develop enough players it should also lead to more stability as they are all guys used to the club and come through together.
Agreed. Look at Storm, they develop strong fundamentals in the whole squad, then if too many of them become star-quality, they'll keep the elite 2 or 3, and replace the ones who leave with other squad members and you don't notice much difference in performance quality.

You don't make the squad if you're not hard mentally. Then the cream rises to the top.

I don't see that at our club. We have holes all the time. Our 2 GF years, we had a very good wider squad.

My question is, how do we avoid losing so many good players to rugby and other NRL clubs? It sucks seeing so many good ones go on and bypass the Warriors. So we actually lose our advantages in numbers. We should be getting around 50 good young players a year. How do we make it more attractive and beat out the Aussies?

Agreed. Look at Storm, they develop strong fundamentals in the whole squad, then if too many of them become star-quality, they'll keep the elite 2 or 3, and replace the ones who leave with other squad members and you don't notice much difference in performance quality.

You don't make the squad if you're not hard mentally. Then the cream rises to the top.

I don't see that at our club. We have holes all the time. Our 2 GF years, we had a very good wider squad.

My question is, how do we avoid losing so many good players to rugby and other NRL clubs? It sucks seeing so many good ones go on and bypass the Warriors. So we actually lose our advantages in numbers. We should be getting around 50 good young players a year. How do we make it more attractive and beat out the Aussies?
Simple answer, win!

The problem the warriors have:
They're one professional club in NZ, that can sign 30 players for any given year. There are 5 super rugby teams, who can sign 30+ players each (sure the cap's lower), there are how many NPC teams who pay players too. Plus the 16 other NRL clubs... Most of these other options are better options in terms of development and organisational skills.

In order to be successful in terms of retaining/attracting talent - the warriors need to be better organised off the field, have a coach who sticks around for longer than two years, start being consistent, and be contenders and start to build/improve.

Until then, we'll keep losing players to yawnion or Aus... or Japan or France or ...

The problem the warriors have:
They're one professional club in NZ, that can sign 30 players for any given year. There are 5 super rugby teams, who can sign 30+ players each (sure the cap's lower), there are how many NPC teams who pay players too. Plus the 16 other NRL clubs... Most of these other options are better options in terms of development and organisational skills.

In order to be successful in terms of retaining/attracting talent - the warriors need to be better organised off the field, have a coach who sticks around for longer than two years, start being consistent, and be contenders and start to build/improve.

Until then, we'll keep losing players to yawnion or Aus... or Japan or France or ...
why do some of u guys call it yawnion ?,,im a hard out All Black fan...& some of the skill sets in the backs & forwards in rugby are a damn sight better than alot of league players i've seen over the years lol..JS

why do some of u guys call it yawnion ?,,im a hard out All Black fan...& some of the skill sets in the backs & forwards in rugby are a damn sight better than alot of league players i've seen over the years lol..JS
because the game's boring now.

Union has a chronic problem of teams slowing it down, time wasting etc. Cue the Irish, South African, Australian teams.

Last data I saw had the average time in play in union as between 29 and 36 mins. In league - it's 62-66 mins.

Union players have good skills. The game's just a drag.

They could fix it though... but the NH teams control world rugby and don't want to. 10 man football is what they want.

Something I've been thinking about lately is how much influence does having a "Leagues Club" attached to the playing arm assist in providing a base and the obvious monetary input.
I understand they are charitable organisations in that they donate massively to the local communities in which they operate

Anyone know how this works and what some of the numbers are?