Dixpat

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Development and Warriors are not words that go together

Reactions: 1 users
Blain

Blain

“So next year we’re applying to go into the NSW competitions. We’re looking at the SG Ball and NSW Cup.”

There it is guys, great to know. Looking forward to seeing some development back at the club. NSW Cup team might have a tough couple seasons getting up and running again.

Reactions: 3 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

Is Lleyton Finau injured? He's had just 1 game for the Dolphins U21's & he's been no where near there Q Cup side so far.
If I'm not wrong then our 4 2021 Development players (Isaiah Vagana, Jyris Glamuzina, Taniela Otukolo & Temple Kalepo) managed to get ZERO Q Cup appearances between them in 2021. While it's good to see the Kepu's & Otukolo get some minutes already in 2022 it's a pretty insignificant partnership we have with Redcliffe. Would we have been better to align ourselves with a less ambitious club than Redcliffe?
Said this as soon as it was announced. We only aligned with Redcliffe for their facilities. But it has absolutely destroyed any junior development we had.

That move could honestly set us back 5 or so years. We’re going to head back to NZ with no young players coming through.

Would be to better align with Central QLD Capras and only use Redcliffe for the first grade home ground.

But aligning with Redcliffe as a club (instead of just the facilities) was massive up by Cameron George and co.

Their only saving grace is that they wouldnt have known at the time that Redcliffe were NRL bound in a couple years. Even still, deciding to keep the allegiance this year is a fireable offense by the decision makers imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Cces

Cces

“So next year we’re applying to go into the NSW competitions. We’re looking at the SG Ball and NSW Cup.”

There it is guys, great to know. Looking forward to seeing some development back at the club. NSW Cup team might have a tough couple seasons getting up and running again.
It's great news. Weren't NZRL also talking about entering a SG Ball team as well or are they one in the same?

Cces

Cces

Maiu'u, Vaafusuaga, Leiataua & Kina Kepu are all listed to play Dolphins Colts this afternoon

Cces

Cces

Can someone based in Auckland tell me what opportunities 1st XV players get to also play League? Down here in Chch the teenage grades have played mid week for a number of years. For a long time it was largely a waste of time due to poorly lit & maintained grounds but now we have the sports hub at Ngā Puna Wai the quality looks to have improved

Reactions: 6 users
Once A Warrior

Once A Warrior

Can someone based in Auckland tell me what opportunities 1st XV players get to also play League? Down here in Chch the teenage grades have played mid week for a number of years. For a long time it was largely a waste of time due to poorly lit & maintained grounds but now we have the sports hub at Ngā Puna Wai the quality looks to have improved
Would love to know this also 👍

Defence

Defence

I sent my old chch club all the burleigh bears training programs they give to all the age grade coaches and they were blown away- my mate told me they had absolutely nothing like that and are going to incorporate it into their set up next year.
He said they cant really keep any of the good kids once they get to teenage years because all the rugby schools swoop in with scholarship's (mind u that had already stared in the 90s when I was at school).
Apparently crl only have a couple of paid employees now and the ceo recently resigned- although I see they have now replaced him.
Things sound pretty bleak but not sure what more they can do running on a shoestring budget.
Nga Puna Wai does look like a good venue.

Reactions: 4 users
Cces

Cces

I sent my old chch club all the burleigh bears training programs they give to all the age grade coaches and they were blown away- my mate told me they had absolutely nothing like that and are going to incorporate it into their set up next year.
He said they cant really keep any of the good kids once they get to teenage years because all the rugby schools swoop in with scholarship's (mind u that had already stared in the 90s when I was at school).
Apparently crl only have a couple of paid employees now and the ceo recently resigned- although I see they have now replaced him.
Things sound pretty bleak but not sure what more they can do running on a shoestring budget.
Nga Puna Wai does look like a good venue.
Former Canterbury Bulls coach, Andrew Auimatagi, was apparently the local Warriors scout at some stage. He also works at St Thomas' of Canterbury who are the top League side here (& have a fast improving 1st XV) but their best prospects in recent years of the Fa'atili brothers & Jordan Riki have headed to QLD. The only school kid under his watch at STC that I think of who ended up tied in with the Warriors from Christchurch was Patrick Elia

Last edited:
Viking

Viking

I can't think of any 1A schools that allow 1st 15 players to play league. They can play school league nationals after 1A is finished though which is why Kelston didn't win the Auckland 1st 13 comp but won the nationals a few years back. Kelston allows 2nd 15 boys to play 1st 13 on Wednesdays but probably not if they're part of the wider 1st 15 squad.

I know of a number of u14A and u15A boys that are on scholarships at the big private schools and try to squeeze club league games in where they can but it's a huge risk. Not all of them are on full rides either.

It isn't worth trying to play school rugby and club league after the age of 15. There's a grand total of 7 u16 teams in the ARL this year. When my oldest boy played in that grade 14 years ago, there were something like 30 teams.

• Sad
Cces

Cces

I can't think of any 1A schools that allow 1st 15 players to play league. They can play school league nationals after 1A is finished though which is why Kelston didn't win the Auckland 1st 13 comp but won the nationals a few years back. Kelston allow 2nd 15 boys to play 1st 13 on Wednesday but probably not if they're part of the wider 1st 15 squad.

I know of a number of u14A and u15A boys that are on scholarships at the big private schools and try to squeeze club league games in where they can but it's a huge risk. Not all of them are on full rides either.
Sounds like an uphill battle & unlikely to change anytime soon. I guess that's why the Shaun Johnson & Dean Bell comps were scheduled so early in the year?

Viking

Viking

Sounds like an uphill battle & unlikely to change anytime soon. I guess that's why the Shaun Johnson & Dean Bell comps were scheduled so early in the year?
Yeah. A lot of those boys are in 1st 15 squads now. There's no grades between u16s and prems reserves so there isn't really anywhere for them to play. The 1st 13 comp is relatively short so those kids that don't play rugby are just waiting for reps and school nationals I guess. It's a lost cause.

Reactions: 2 users
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Yeah. A lot of those boys are in 1st 15 squads now. There's no grades between u16s and prems reserves so there isn't really anywhere for them to play. The 1st 13 comp is relatively short so those kids that don't play rugby are just waiting for reps and school nationals I guess. It's a lost cause.
Dire situation, anyone know what exactly Gus recommended to revamp the junior pathways?

Cces

Cces

For anyone interested Jyris Glamuzina debuted for the Knights in NSW Cup 2 weekends ago & made 136m off 10 receipts 👀

Once A Warrior

Once A Warrior

Can anyone tell me about lleyton Finau? He's on a development contract this year which runs out. He's only 19 so does anyone think he will pick up a 30 spot or just kept in development? And how long can you keep players on development contracts?