General Warriors Academy and Development Discussion Thread

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I watched the Warriors under 16s play an Auckland Vulcan scratch side in the curtain raiser. I haven't watched a Warriors age group side like that for some years but noticed this:

They all looked like they had been on careful diets.
They all like tall, fit and with gym junkie physiques.
They were all fast and skillful.
They were playing to a pattern or if you want process.
There was no jungle ball.
That was very different to the last time I saw a Warrior youth team.
So that looked very good.
However:
They showed that Warriors lack of intensity at times, especially when they were up a bit.
The Vulcans side were a scratch team and it showed, however:
There were some hard nuts in there, who didn't look like gym junkies but knew how to tackle.
I think there were a couple of guest Ngapuhi who looked like they had come straight out of the Waima Forest. They showed genuine intensity the whole game. They obviously were motivated to show the flash boys up, and I think a couple did that, regardless of the scoreline.

It got me thinking as to how the recruitment process is going. I would have though a hard nosed non stop tackle bot or two would be handy in this club, just saying like.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I watched the Warriors under 16s play an Auckland Vulcan scratch side in the curtain raiser. I haven't watched a Warriors age group side like that for some years but noticed this:

That was very different to the last time I saw a Warrior youth team.
So that looked very good.
However:
They showed that Warriors lack of intensity at times, especially when they were up a bit.
The Vulcans side were a scratch team and it showed, however:
There were some hard nuts in there, who didn't look like gym junkies but knew how to tackle.
I think there were a couple of guest Ngapuhi who looked like they had come straight out of the Waima Forest. They showed genuine intensity the whole game. They obviously were motivated to show the flash boys up, and I think a couple did that, regardless of the scoreline.

It got me thinking as to how the recruitment process is going. I would have though a hard nosed non stop tackle bot or two would be handy in this club, just saying like.
The Vulcan side actually had all the signed players from the Warriors youth academy. The other team wearing Warriors uniforms was a warriors ‘select’ side with players from other regions outside of Auckland, it only had a handful of warriors signed players in that team.

Reactions: Stalefish540

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
So they looked like any other Aussie feeder team? Great we are training the kiwi game out of them so they can be boring clones to feed SK's boring machine and can bore the shit out of me while I drink my $8 beer at MtSmart and tell my kid bout the good ol days, which I moaned about then because we were unpredicatable but look back on fondly now.

Last edited:

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
So they looked like any other Aussie feeder team? Great we are training the kiwi game out of them so they can be boring clones to feed SK's boring machine and can bore the shit out of me while I drink my $8 beer at MtSmart and tell my kid bout the good ol days, which I moaned about then because we were unpredicatable but look back on findly now.
You’ll be drinking that $11 beer at Eden park watching these kids play for the warriors!

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The Vulcan side actually had all the signed players from the Warriors youth academy. The other team wearing Warriors uniforms was a warriors ‘select’ side with players from other regions outside of Auckland, it only had a handful of warriors signed players in that team.
Fair go? :oops: you are pulling my tit for sure:rolleyes:, the Vulcans ended up on the very sad side of the scoreboard so if they are actually the future of the club that is a worry.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings