General Warriors 20th Anniversary Memories

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Last night after having to catch up on a couple of days of Sterlo, Matty Johns and NRL 360 I made the decision to only watch the start of NRL 360 and free up some space on my MySky for the games this weekend. Missed this.:facepalm:

So thanks for posting.:)

Good to hear him talk about his time here in Auckland. He spoke well about his time here. The fact he hadn't been back here after leaving the club until the 9's last year and the way he talks about the club during commentary you would think he had an issue with the club/country.

He came here a few years after his brother died and the Panthers started to unravel a bit after their premiership win and the tragedy with his brother. Like he said it was what he needed at the time.

Good to hear these memories of 95. The old clips at the start were nice to see.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
We haven't had an import of the reputation of Alexander since.

That's how hard it is to sign people here. Winning a premiership probably won't change the reality of Aussies not wanting to leave home.
There were two big "What ifs" from when the club first got approval to join the comp in 1992 to the first game in 1995.
  1. How would they deal with the travel and the long season of back to back football?
  2. Will they be able to get the best footballers and superstars from Australia over to New Zealand?
Now after 20 years we know the answer to these and point 1 we have handled the travel and length of the season a lot better some years then others but it is still a challenge.

The second point I remember seeing arguments before 1995 for us not being able to attract the best players and another for us signing the best of the best. There used to be articles with us with stacked teams with players like Daley, Clyde, Steve Walters etc along the guys we had signed.

Reactions: Sup42

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
While we are on the 20 years clebrations. Whetu Taewa on RadioLiveSport this morning.
https://www.radiolivesport.co.nz/Whetu-Taewa/tabid/454/articleID/23971/Default.aspx

We had some big names in the 95 squad. I remember a lot of articles predicting the first team; fair to say he was a bit of a bolter but he certainly earnt his place with his performances from what I can remember (a little fuzzy :oops: only have memories and repeated games from MySky where we won recorded).

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
i was pleasantly surprised how much these tidbits borought back memories of good times, i have a terribad memory and really had thought that they were gone for life, but a few photos and some writeups and the memories come back although maybe not be as strong as they once were. But oh god I love this team. For a guy that had never ever thought about league growing up - hated rugby, to end up this passionate about anything is staggering change of pace.

Now someone please help me out. My wife and i saw the Warriors play at Carlaw Park, but i cant remember what the game was. She says they were wearing a stripy top if that helps. Would it have been before the comp started, or did they go back for an anniversary game at some time?

And secondly my first ever game of league a mate took me and the misses to watch NZ play Australia at mt smart. The thing that made this game special and probably sold me on League was NZ won. I wonder if anyone knows what game that was?

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
i was pleasantly surprised how much these tidbits borought back memories of good times, i have a terribad memory and really had thought that they were gone for life, but a few photos and some writeups and the memories come back although maybe not be as strong as they once were. But oh god I love this team. For a guy that had never ever thought about league growing up - hated rugby, to end up this passionate about anything is staggering change of pace.

Now someone please help me out. My wife and i saw the Warriors play at Carlaw Park, but i cant remember what the game was. She says they were wearing a stripy top if that helps. Would it have been before the comp started, or did they go back for an anniversary game at some time?

And secondly my first ever game of league a mate took me and the misses to watch NZ play Australia at mt smart. The thing that made this game special and probably sold me on League was NZ won. I wonder if anyone knows what game that was?
It would have been the yellow and blue pre-season jersey.

Edit: It was the Mt Albert Centennial jersey, worn against the Rabbitohs at Carlaw Park. 2002..

Last edited:
Reactions: gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
It would have been the yellow and blue pre-season jersey.

Edit: It was the Mt Albert Centennial jersey, worn against the Rabbitohs at Carlaw Park. 2002..
cool thanks for that Nig. Musta been just before the wife sprogged and one of the last games i saw live for the next year, although i didnt miss many. I have a very understanding wife

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader

are you sure we won at Mt Smart? ;)

We beat Aus 24-22 at Ericsson Stadium (aka Mt Smart) in October 1999. It's the only one I can think of. Full Kiwis vs Kangaroos history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_vs_New_Zealand_in_rugby_league

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
I remember the night, I had waited for so long. My old man was still heavily into the rah-rah (in fairness he did play rep rugby so I understand the love for him) so I had to beg just about to get him to flick it onto the Warriors... and then of course for the next 20 years receive his undivided criticism over the club, most of the time being feedback he'd heard from other people and a lot of the time seeming to be very unfounded. But he loves it, whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

Man, I loved the fire tunnel, I'm one of the few I think who loves the polynesian drummers, we got dudded with Willie Carne that night scoring after he'd gone into touch. We should have won, the sad thing is we started a media legacy for 20 years of being a team that fades, because we should have nailed Brisbane that night. And what about '95, missing the finals series because of a silly interchange error.

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
are you sure we won at Mt Smart? ;)

We beat Aus 24-22 at Ericsson Stadium (aka Mt Smart) in October 1999. It's the only one I can think of. Full Kiwis vs Kangaroos history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_vs_New_Zealand_in_rugby_league

looked at the list you provided and the only game i can think of that meets the criteria of which friends we went with, who was in the country and where it was etc, was the 1993 game where it was a draw not a win at mt smart, pre the ericsson era. I guess i counted the draw as a win...

Reactions: Jay M

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
I remember the night, I had waited for so long. My old man was still heavily into the rah-rah (in fairness he did play rep rugby so I understand the love for him) so I had to beg just about to get him to flick it onto the Warriors... and then of course for the next 20 years receive his undivided criticism over the club, most of the time being feedback he'd heard from other people and a lot of the time seeming to be very unfounded. But he loves it, whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

Man, I loved the fire tunnel, I'm one of the few I think who loves the polynesian drummers, we got dudded with Willie Carne that night scoring after he'd gone into touch. We should have won, the sad thing is we started a media legacy for 20 years of being a team that fades, because we should have nailed Brisbane that night. And what about '95, missing the finals series because of a silly interchange error.
The drums are and were awesome. They are the quintessential Warriors sound. We should use them for every home game again.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
1890_10151525344354459_1106970130_n.jpg
2002 Jerry Seuseu1.PNG

looked at the list you provided and the only game i can think of that meets the criteria of which friends we went with, who was in the country and where it was etc, was the 1993 game where it was a draw not a win at mt smart, pre the ericsson era. I guess i counted the draw as a win...
Are you sure it wasnt at North Harbour Stadium???

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012

Are you sure it wasnt at North Harbour Stadium???
nope never been to a game at Nth Harb. However i remember the stands at Carlaw well and the really crappy pitch they played on. I cant tell from those pics (i assume based on your question that they were at Nth Harb, because ive seen them now many times when you have linked jumpers in different threads.

Wish i could remember the game...

Richie

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 28, 2012
The Warriors vs Dogs qualifying final win in 2003 probably tops my list. Me and the other Warriors fans were in fine voice that game as we saw a seemingly invincible Francis Meli absolutely destroy the Dogs with his 5 tries. The ground was buzzing (at least for Warriors fans). I've never seen so many home fans leaving a game with 20 to go, lol.

I was there when we beat Canberra the following week (less convincing but just as satisfying), but sadly also there when we missed out to Penrith (eventual premiers) falling 1 game short. Our 2003 finals ride probably ranks as my most memorable moments of the last 20 (despite also going to the Warriors v Roosters GF). Stacy's magic try and Villasanti's hit on Freddy probably force that game onto my list, despite the trauma I still suffer all these years later. :(

But probably better than the actual game memories are the memories of taking the wife and kids to watch the boys play, especially on the hill at Brookie oval (my wife and girls are regrettably Manly fans). My thanks to the Warriors for making those wonderful days and nights possible. I look forward equally great memories over the next 20 years.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings