General Warriors 2020 Restart.

BiggerD

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
Sydney
Seems like the Warriors have Federal permission to enter Australia , but now the team wants to know what they are going to be paid.

BTW ..looks like the Warriors could be based at a facility in Tamworth NSW which is known for its country music "yeeha"

Despite receiving federal government exemption to enter Australia, the Warriors have told the NRL they will not leave New Zealand
until the governing body informs them of what they will be paid in 2020.

The NRL overcame another major hurdle on Monday afternoon when the New Zealand Warriors were granted an exemption from the federal government to enter Australia to compete in the competition set to resume on May 28.

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys was given the tick of approval by Australian border security authorities after applying for permission for the Warriors to travel from Auckland as early as this Sunday.

However the Warriors have indicated to the NRL that they will not pack up and leave their families until they know exactly what they are coming across for, with pay cuts a possibility depending on the broadcast arrangement that is struck.

V'landys continued discussions with Foxtel boss Patrick Delany and Nine boss Hugh Marks on Monday, and is hopeful to have a competition structure for 2020 sorted in the next 24 hours.

The clarity around broadcast revenue, the major source of income for the NRL, will in turn allow the code to determine how much money will be allocated to the players.

"We appreciate the federal government working with us to obtain a possible exemption to allow the Warriors to come into the country," V'landys told the Herald. "We are now working with the NSW state government to get approval that will allow them to train while in isolation."

The border security exemption represents a major obstacle cleared by the league in its bid to return on May 28.
The next step is convincing the NSW government to allow the Warriors to potentially base themselves in Tamworth.

If denied, the Warriors will have to be quarantined at a hotel for 14 days, which would likely delay the start of the competition by two weeks given the pledge from all coaches to begin training as soon as their New Zealand rivals were able to.

"There was a precedent set when the Warriors were here last time," V'landys said. "They had five players come over to replace the players that went back to New Zealand on compassionate grounds, and they were allowed to stay in a facility and train similarly with what we wish to do now."

"There will be a facility in which there is absolutely zero risk to the community. They will be the only people on the property for 14 days and any staff will be remaining with them for that period. There's nobody in the vicinity of where they want to stay."

The Warriors had been growing frustrated with the delay, with word getting back to the NRL that players were considering not travelling to Australia on Sunday unless they had an answer by Wednesday or Thursday.

V'landys has assured the Warriors the wait is almost over.

Last edited:

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hopefully they don't get paid what they deserve as they won't be making the trip across other wise
Ironic to be paid what they deserve.
Based on their 2020 form to date, that’s not a lot. Their form was shocking and like many, I believe they’ll be fighting out with the GC and The Bulldogs for the spoon.

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
Ironic to be paid what they deserve.
Based on their 2020 form to date, that’s not a lot. Their form was shocking and like many, I believe they’ll be fighting out with the GC and The Bulldogs for the spoon.
It’s ok tho because Stephen and his troops have battled hard this season and made so many sacrifices..................

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
Still awaiting permission from the Australian Government for the Warriors to enter Australia...

If we are... the home games will be based in Newcastle where we do have a good record!

Reactions: Johnnyray

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
From the aussie Pm yesterday

Speaking of New Zealand travel, the Warriors are still in limbo.

A major hurdle as the National Rugby League looks to restart its season on May 28 is whether or not the New Zealand Warriors will be allowed to enter the country.

Mr Morrison said that decision had not been made.

"The Commonwealth has made no decision about the access by the Warriors into Australia. That hasn't happened," he said.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Still awaiting permission from the Australian Government for the Warriors to enter Australia...

If we are... the home games will be based in Newcastle where we do have a good record!
not what i read, they said all games would happen in Sydney. Homebush and ANZ (?)
Why is it you can never find the article to refer to after

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Cameron George "We're coming over to kick your ass".

I'm at a point I'll celebrate our first win and kicking ass in one game. Then we can kick arse by not getting the wooden spoon.

I've listened to him before and he often talks about higher expectations than just making the finals and we should be aiming to win the competition. That is admirable but looking at the football we played last year, the squad for 2020 and the football played already his talk is nice but I can't see the results matching what is coming out of his mouth.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane

Fuck the home games in Newcastle. We should be playing away for the first 1/2 of the season and when the trans-Tasman boarders open in August, make the other teams come to us. Fuck em, fuck them all. And if SK delivers us a wooden spoon, we meet at Mt Smart with our pitchforks

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Fuck the home games in Newcastle. We should be playing away for the first 1/2 of the season and when the trans-Tasman boarders open in August, make the other teams come to us. Fuck em, fuck them all. And if SK delivers us a wooden spoon, we meet at Mt Smart with our pitchforks
Mate if that happens they can all farkin stay there.

Except roger.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Hopefully we do get to a point where crowds can return to the games and we can also play in New Zealand. The second part would require both countries opening the border to the other. That would need the virus to be under control in both countries.

There has been statements about a transtasman bubble but when pushed on it ministers from both countries have seemed reluctant. Things could change it a few months if you look how things have improved the last month. Itcould get worse as well, but we should be looking at it in a positive light.

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
Is anyone excited about the comp restarting?
I know it's around a month away (if the playing meatheads dont fuck it up), so the closer it gets the more amped you get.
I was meh about the season starting the first time this year but after the 2 games I really hope some players fuck it up, the season gets called off, Warriors sue that club, pay SK out so he doesn't resign most of the players off contract, and a new beginning for the club

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Jesus shit Christ. Man reading all those comments on here only makes me more convinced that just like it is in NFL, all player contracts in NRL should come with incentives which is basically half your pay now and half your pay later when you fucking finally win something. Kicking a ball around isn't a real job so you shouldn't expect real money for it not unless you're prepared to work for it.

I'm sorry but when you compare it to the hundreds of thousands of people that are about lose job because of Covid19 these players sound way too entitled to me ...

☹

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Is anyone excited about the comp restarting?
I know it's around a month away (if the playing meatheads dont fuck it up), so the closer it gets the more amped you get.
I was meh about the season starting the first time this year but after the 2 games I really hope some players fuck it up, the season gets called off, Warriors sue that club, pay SK out so he doesn't resign most of the players off contract, and a new beginning for the club
I cancelled Kayo once the NRL went down. I'm not sure I'm going to restart it when the season comes back.

My weekends have been more relaxing without it.

Reactions: PullinTeeth

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons NSW

Last Game

21 Mar

06-20
4.7 Total Avg Rating
4.5 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 10 ratings