BiggerD

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
Sydney
Masterton want the Warriors to play there
But old Rugby Union Tradation says NO LEAGUE

What ya reckon.. Play in the Wairarapa

Wellington & Palmy supporters for next year

Masterton's bid to lure NZ Warriors could be hindered by archaic ban on rugby league
JACK BARLOW
Last updated 09:58, June 27 2017

GETTY
Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson's silky skills are a welcome sight on most footy fields, with the possible exception of Masterton's Memorial Park.

Masterton's bid to bring the New Zealand Warriors to town next year may be hit by a snag straight from the history books.

The proposed Warriors versus Melbourne Storm preseason game at Trust House Memorial Park apparently runs afoul of a historic anti-league stipulation at the ground.

According to A Very Publick Reserve by Wairarapa historian Gareth Winter, money lent by the New Zealand Rugby Union to fund Memorial Park came with one strict condition: no league.

PIERS FULLER/FAIRFAX NZ
Money lent by the New Zealand Rugby Union to fund Memorial Park came with one condition: no league, forever.

"They stipulated other sports could use the ground for international matches, except rugby league which must be banned forever," a passage from the book reads.

Nobody in town can recall a major league game being played at the park, suggesting the archaic stipulation has been adhered too since it opened in 1963.

PIERS FULLER/ FAIRFAX NZ
Wairarapa Archivist Gareth Winter with his book A Very Publick (sic) Reserve.

"In fairness there has probably been little demand for league here. In the 1990s there was a league team here but I think they didn't last much longer than a season," Winter said.

"Ironically, two of Wairarapa's best rugby players crossed over into league... and they were totally ostracised for it."

One of them was Bert Cooke, who played for the All Blacks in the 1920s and early 30s, before switching to union for Wairarapa and Wellington.

PIERS FULLER/FAIRFAX NZ
Trust House Memorial Park has been the home of the Wairarapa Bush Rugby Union for decades, but no one can recall a major league fixture ever being played at the ground.

So is the crash and bang of the NRL permanently banished from the home of the Wairarapa-Bush Rugby Union after all? Union member Tony Hargood doesn't seem to think so.

"I think society's moved on, hasn't it? That was a very long time ago and I don't particularly think it's an issue. Without being pedantic, there's been a number of lease contracts since 1950 so I don't think it'll be a problem."

New Zealand Rugby said it was unaware of the stipulation.

PIERS FULLER/FAIRFAX NZ
Masterton District Council is confident the supposed ban on rugby league at Trust House Memorial Park won't hamper its bid to lure the NZ Warriors for a preseason game.

Given the evident lack of opposition to the league ban, Masterton District Council said the proposal was going ahead.

The council's economic development manager Kieran McAnulty, who is pushing the bid, said he had become aware of the league ban but wasn't particularly worried by it.

"I think it's really just a relic from a long rivalry between the two codes," he said.0

"I don't see it as an issue, and I'd be surprised if it was still New Zealand Rugby's policy. It's a reminder of what was going on in the old days, but that's certainly not the case now."

Submissions to host the game close at the end of June. Several other towns in are bidding alongside Masterton.

McAnulty said he had been to Auckland to chat with Warriors representatives and found them to be receptive.

Community interest around Masterton had been just as encouraging, and McAnulty was awaiting the Warriors' decision with interest.

"There's been a lot of excitement around the region," he said. "It may not come off, but it's all very promising."

Last edited by a moderator:

tajhay

👻
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Masterton want the Warriors to play there
But old Rugby Union Tradation says NO LEAGUE

What ya reckon.. Play in the Wairarapa

Wellington & Palmy supporters for next year

Masterton's bid to bring the New Zealand Warriors to town next year may be hit by a snag straight from the history books.

The proposed Warriors versus Melbourne Storm preseason game at Trust House Memorial Park apparently runs afoul of a historic anti-league stipulation at the ground.

According to A Very Publick Reserve by Wairarapa historian Gareth Winter, money lent by the New Zealand Rugby Union to fund Memorial Park came with one strict condition: NO League.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-league-match-a-reminder-of-crosscode-rivalry

Nice ground shame
Its a nothing story to just stir up more Union Vs League BS. NZRU have already stated there is no issue.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Good on the NZRU for exorcising old demons.

I actually think it is a good thing when these old problems are being redressed publicly because it puts a spotlight on the old chestnut which then allows the Union to extend the Olive branch publicly.

I know it is a nothing story in terms of the stirring from media, but as Tahjay pointed out.....the NZRU made it so ( a non story thanks to their response).

It is all part of the healing as far as I am concerned.

I've started to let go of a lifetime of Union hate in part due to stories such as this....where Union have stepped up.

In my lifetime probably the most significant milestones in the Union Vs League scene have been :

1. All the converts ( a heap of ex Allblacks switching).

2. Graham Henry inviting the Warriors to train with Auckland RFU, then proclaiming S. Jones the greatest halfback in the country.

3. Canterbury RFU hooking up with Bennett and Bellamy respectively.

4. Wigan playing the Rugby Union champions ( sorry forgot the name of the club).

5. Relations between the Modern Allblacks and Bellamy.

6. Brad Thorn, out of all the converts, he brought Leagues professionalism and toughness from the highest level of Australian systems ( top gun) to NZ Union in his prime. His legacy in Union mirrors what League created.

7. Sonny Bill demystifying the movement between games. A ground breaking individual who crossed lines in such a way that he made the standoff a nonsense.

8. The expansion of the Auckland schools rugby league comp.

9. The mad butcher, a stereotypical League man with strong Union ties.

10. The Allblacks publicly acknowledging they watched the World cup winning Kiwis and sent messages of support.

Things have progressed in quantum leaps.

It is now up to the Warriors to capitalize on the Olive branch and brotherhood they have been offered in a Union mad country.....so far they haven't.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Nothing story which is little more than a bit of shit stirring but as they say, all publicity is good publicity. Masterton have now got themselves and their bid front and centre which can only be a good thing for them. Best of luck to em...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Nothing story which is little more than a bit of shit stirring but as they say, all publicity is good publicity.
You obviously weren't around in the days when the discrimination was rife.

In 1963 the wool prices were still good and Masterton was the centre of a very wealthy land owning upper class. The wool prices crashed for good in 1968 and since then that land owning class has either moved out or gone to dairy farming.

It is the only discrimination I have ever suffered, being a league kid, and it wasn't funny although not as bad as racial discrimination.

No harm in mentioning the history IMO.

Ironically, the first All Black coach to start mending fences with Graham Lowe the Kiwi coach was the great Sir Brian Lohore, himself a Wairarapa sheep farmer, although I don't think he was from one of the really wealthy families. He went against the grain at the time because the All Black manager apparently was not keen on the approach.

Reactions: BiggerD and Sup42

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
You obviously weren't around in the days when the discrimination was rife.

In 1963 the wool prices were still good and Masterton was the centre of a very wealthy land owning upper class. The wool prices crashed for good in 1968 and since then that land owning class has either moved out or gone to dairy farming.

It is the only discrimination I have ever suffered, being a league kid, and it wasn't funny although not as bad as racial discrimination.

No harm in mentioning the history IMO.

Ironically, the first All Black coach to start mending fences with Graham Lowe the Kiwi coach was the great Sir Brian Lohore, himself a Wairarapa sheep farmer, although I don't think he was from one of the really wealthy families. He went against the grain at the time because the All Black manager apparently was not keen on the approach.
Wasnt even born but that doesnt change anything TODAY. The Warriors are welcome in Masterton. The NZR have given their blessing. Interesting history but no one cares now...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Wasnt even born but that doesnt change anything TODAY. The Warriors are welcome in Masterton. The NZR have given their blessing. Interesting history but no one cares now...
You don't care, that is ok, but those who forget history are bound to repeat it...just saying like.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings