General Warriors 2002 vs Warriors 2018

Snoopy

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 19, 2017
THIS TEAM IS BETTER THEN THE 2002, 2003 & 2011 TEAMS. WE CAN WIN THE TITLE THIS YEAR. WE MAY NEVER GET ANOTHER CHANCE WITH GREEN HERE FOR THE NEXT 3 YRS.

I like it; too many of us are holding back.

Call it as you see it. It’s not just the results, it is how they are playing and the team attitude.

Atleast top 4 from what I have seen so far.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
THIS TEAM IS BETTER THEN THE 2002, 2003 & 2011 TEAMS. WE CAN WIN THE TITLE THIS YEAR. WE MAY NEVER GET ANOTHER CHANCE WITH GREEN HERE FOR THE NEXT 3 YRS.
Yep people are saying be cautious, and I myself picked a loss to the Rabbitohs.

After seeing that Game I knew we are different.

Yes it is a long competition, but we are going at a hundred and ten and getting better as we chew teams up,

Might as well gun it and go for the title.

They say it takes two years to win one.

Well that being the case you might as well go do or die straight out of the blocks. Save the measured shit for year two.

The Melbourne Storm did it.

Stormed into their maiden Finals series, lost then Took it out the following year.

People were waiting for that Virgin team to lose (first loss to us) but they won eight from eleven of the first run....that's what we should be gunning for, their record.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012

Why you shouting bro? ;)

I dunno about that. That 2002 team for mine was and always will be pretty special. Ive yet to see a better balanced Warriors squad.

You had strike out wide in Meli and Toopi (named best centre in the world around ths time wasn't he?). Go forward and platform laying BIG boppas in Jerry Seuseu, Villasanti, Tookey and co. The x factor talent of Ali Lauititi who we could create so much off and gave us something not many other teams had. The defensive glue and hardness of Kevin Campion who demanded the highest of standards (ably backed up by lieutenants Guttenbiel and Swann), The likes of Cleary and Carlaw who we're no frills but kept the team firmly glued. A clever and classy dummy half in PJ Marsh....and of course that brilliant little man....the kiwi player of his generation.....Stacey Jones.

The style and manner of game we played that year was inspiring only thwarted by a Roosters team who at that time was patenting that swarm, rush style D that would become the standard for all to follow.

That said I haven't been as excited by what ive seen out of the 2018 version in many years, and if they can capture the holy grail...I will quite happily change my tune.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
2002 versus now is an interesting exercise.
This team has just being born of you like,

If you like defensive rugby League then I suspect this team will float your boat.
Bigger for and against differential is where this lot might be on a different level ( four trys against scored while 12 men were on the feild) and both those games were hard fought defensive wins.

No one has been able to attack like that 2002 2nd phase....80's Raiders and Broncos had awesome attack but nothing prepared the Comp for Andersons team.

Still...if SJ and RTS sniff around those forwards this lot could cricket score it

Sammyw11

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 8, 2016
cleary v rts
murphy v fusitua
carlaw v hiku
toopi v kata
meli v maumalo
tony v green
jones v johnson
seuseu v gavet
marsh v luke
tookey v paasi
lauitiiti v mannering
guttenbeil v harris
campion v blair

hohaia v tavega
villasanti v lisone
koopu v afoa
swann v pulu

on paper there isnt a lot that separates it. the right edge of johnson, harris, hiku and Fusitua is the response to the left edge of the 02 side. green is vastly different to tony and in my opinion more important. if paasi reaches full fitness he will surpass tooks. over all i prefer the backrow now to the 02 version, however lauitiiti was next level. the bench is debatable, i prefer ours now with the exception of tavega, hohaia was the ultimate utility.

Chats271

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 9, 2017
The defensive glue and hardness of Kevin Campion who demanded the highest of standards.

I would love to have a modern day Campion type player in out pack, (maybe with a touch less aggression, campion would get so many sin bins in the game these days :))

He was one of my faves from that era, no frills, tough as teak and took shit from NO ONE! Will never forget when he dropped Webke like a sack of bricks!!

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
The Warriors vibe at the moment reminds me so much of 02.
That was the year we finally arrived!
(for a short time...cause we fucked off back to Cantplayforshitsville till Ivan took over)

A full strength 2002 Warriors vs 2018 Warriors would be a dream game.

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
I would love to have a modern day Campion type player in out pack, (maybe with a touch less aggression, campion would get so many sin bins in the game these days :))

He was one of my faves from that era, no frills, tough as teak and took shit from NO ONE! Will never forget when he dropped Webke like a sack of bricks!!
Nah Campion’s aggression was on point bro.
Monty on the other hand. :banghead: hahaha

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
cleary v rts
murphy v fusitua
carlaw v hiku
toopi v kata
meli v maumalo
tony v green
jones v johnson
seuseu v gavet
marsh v luke
tookey v paasi
lauitiiti v mannering
guttenbeil v harris
campion v blair

hohaia v tavega
villasanti v lisone
koopu v afoa
swann v pulu

on paper there isnt a lot that separates it. the right edge of johnson, harris, hiku and Fusitua is the response to the left edge of the 02 side. green is vastly different to tony and in my opinion more important. if paasi reaches full fitness he will surpass tooks. over all i prefer the backrow now to the 02 version, however lauitiiti was next level. the bench is debatable, i prefer ours now with the exception of tavega, hohaia was the ultimate utility.

The only ‘18 players I’d pick over the ‘02 team would be;
RTS
Fusitua
Green
Harris
Tough call on Ali vs Mannering as they are apples and oranges
Maaaaybe Pulu over Swann
But the ‘02 team still well ahead imo

Reactions: Sup42

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Monty on the other hand. :banghead: hahaha
Haha that's what made Monty so good to watch bro. When he took a big hit he'd go after them for the rest of the game like a smiling assassin and anything could happen. Not saying he was a grub, but we don't really have a genuine nutjob in the current squad. Blair is maybe close when it comes to penalties, but I've never seen him instill genuine fear for your life the way Monty did when he had the red mist.

Last edited:

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
In terms of actual achievements the 2002 squad is far superior at this point

In terms of potential the 2018 squad has a higher ceiling IMO

At this stage the 2002 squad is still the benchmark due to winning the minor premiership & making our maiden Grand Final appearance

But if this current squad can create history & actually win a premiership within the next three seasons they will easily become the new benchmark

While it's a fun to directly compare the two squads it's ultimately a pointless exercise IMO as the game itself is vastly different now to what it was back in 2002

From my perspective it's all about actual achievement, even if we end up being the most dominant team over an entire regular season, it still doesn't mean all that much historically unless we put some actual silverware in the cupboard IMO

Last edited:

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
The roosters dicked us which is why I was not confident when we had to play them in the grand final a couple of weeks later.

Yeah I remember that, was a Sunday afternoon and I was really hopeful of a strong showing given the Roosters were starting to look the best side in the comp. We got smashed, which also meant I had very low hopes heading into the final.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings