General Warriors 2002 vs Warriors 2008

teariki_old

So 2008 is shaping up to be the best since the grand final year of 2002. If both Warriors teams from 2002 and this year could go head-to-head who would win?

The line-ups are:

Warriors 2008 (vs Roosters 17)

Lance Hohaia, Aidan Kirk, Brent Tate, Jerome Ropati, Manu Vatuvei, Michael Witt, Nathan Fien, Ruben Wiki, Ian Henderson, Steve Price (C), Simon Mannering, Ben Matulino, Micheal Luck; bench, Grant Rovelli, Evarn Tuimavave, Sam Rapira, Logan Swann

Warriors 2002 (grand final 17)

Ivan Cleary, Justin Murphy, John Carlaw, Clinton Toopi, Francis Meli, Motu Tony, Stacey Jones (C), Jerry Seu Seu, PJ Marsh, Mark Tookey, Ali Lauiti'iti, Awen Guttenbeil, Kevin Campion; bench, Lance Hohaia, Richard Villasanti, Wairangi Koopu, Logan Swann

Stacey Jones has said that the 2002 Warriors probably had more flamboyance on attack but that the 2008 Warriors have better defense.

I would argue the 2002 forward pack has better ball-players; both backlines seem reasonably matched although the 2002 halves pairing seems more attacking. The 2002 Warriors would beat the 2008 Warriors imho.

Skinny_Ravs82

ANd the 2002 group couldn't breach that imtimidating Roosters defense and the 2008 version have dismantled the premiers twice ;)

ToiletDuck_old

I think Ivan was asked this question and he said it was just too hard to compare because the game has changed so much in just 6 years...

kiwi-born_old

Yeah both are good!

I think the 2008 Warriors Team has more determination, drive and a really positive work-as-a-team attitude.

Kid-Dynamite_old

This is my first ever succesful run in the finals with the Warriors (when they made the G.F in 2002 I was 10, so didn't really take it in back then) so I can't compare!

But now that I'm older, i'm understanding what the Warriors are doing this year a whole lot more, and loving every second of supporting them!

The Warriors are my heroes, always will be, and to see what they're doing this year makes me proud as punch! We are creating a fairytale (as we did in 2002 I guess) but this time I'm old enough to take it all in! I love it. This is the greatest game on the earth and the Warriors are the greatest club in the world!

GO THE WARRIORS!

raypower_old

Sure it's a what if but it'd be a great clash. You have a very defensively sound fb in Ivan vs the part time custodian in Lance, I would love to see Murphy trying to defend Manu and Kirk coping with Franny's power game. The centres are so similar in one's viewed defensively and the other is an attacker in both sides. The halves for 02 obviously have the wood over the 08 version and the 02 second row is a bit more dynamic as well. You can't go past the 08 front row pairing imo due to experience and durability. Hendo probably isn't as skillful as Marsh but both have that drive and talk that makes for a great 9. Finally the benches are both solid, but due to the value we're getting out of Evarn and Sam I'd give it to 08.

I think the discipline and forward roll on of the 08 squad would just negate the brilliance of the halves and I'd give it to the 08 sqaud by 3.

Skinny_Ravs82

I think personally the '02 version was the type that could create something out of nothing from their individudals

In that same sence there is that little bit of 'soemthing out of nothing' way the '08 version can too, but not to sound cruel to the '02 version but the '09 group are a bit more...settled?!

a.c.e_old

Very interesting. The Warriors of 2002 are far and above better then the side today so far. The 2002 were minor prems and also made the GF. This Warriors side hasn't done neither so I cant say much.

Would this side have made a better run had they not had any injuries? For sure. Towards the back end of this this season when the boys came right we started making a run emulating the 07' Warriors run for the finals.

Would this side have won the 02' minor prems and won the GF? Well thats up for debate. Freddy at the hight of his powers would be hard to stop for any side.

one-eyed-warrior_old

This is my first ever succesful run in the finals with the Warriors (when they made the G.F in 2002 I was 10, so didn't really take it in back then) so I can't compare!

But now that I'm older, i'm understanding what the Warriors are doing this year a whole lot more, and loving every second of supporting them!

The Warriors are my heroes, always will be, and to see what they're doing this year makes me proud as punch! We are creating a fairytale (as we did in 2002 I guess) but this time I'm old enough to take it all in! I love it. This is the greatest game on the earth and the Warriors are the greatest club in the world!

GO THE WARRIORS!

Damn you make me feel old. I was 17 when the warriors started.