General Warraiors Management : Sort your sh#t out!

• Thread starter MiXmasterreece_old
  • Start date

MiXmasterreece_old

This whole ordeal with Webby is a disgrace. You are either interested or not interested, put an offer to him or tell him to look elsewhere.

This isnt a good look to other players thinking of coming over here and what makes it even worse is that webby has been one of our best over the past few years.

I am very disappointed with this whole saga. The new warriors management have done alot of good things for this club and its starting to look promising but this sort of situation looks like a giant leap backwards.

Warriors Management : youve been very open about guttenbeil and toopi,please put us out of our misery and tell us what the hell is going on with webby? Is it the money? is it that you think hes got too big for his boots? is it that you think you can a better fullback on the open market? is it that you want to develop local talent at the back?

If you wont communicate with us the least you can do i communicate with the player involved, let him know where he stands !

warriors4life_old

I agree, they are pretty much leaving everyone in the dark about Webb's position. His manager has gone to the UK searching for deals and will bring back a few that the Warriors won't be able to match. If they wanted to keep Webb they would have signed him by now.

Iafeta_old

While it's concerning, I agree completely with Wayne Scurrah's comments in regards to not paying overs anymore for players to leave hefty inbalances in our side and indeed push towards salary cap issues.

In my opinion, if the difference between Webb and either McKinnon, Greenshields, or Steve Turner is $100,000 or more, then the club is absolutely correct in not reoffering Brent Webb a contract. While the reports say the club has not offered Webb a new contract yet, they have not denied there have not been discussions, where I'm sure nominal figures were bandied around. There's no point insulting a player's dignity with a shallow offer.

Tajhay_old

put yourselves in the managements shoes.

you are a manager of a company.

employee x is a standout worker and amongst your best employees.

your company has run into some problems lately and the budget has been cut. you already have some other high earning employees on a contract, and would love to keep employee x there. employee x is receiving great interest from your rivals and his worth has increased from his past pay packet.

he was on 50k before, but now wants 80k. you cannot afford to pay 80k for this employee as that would mean you may not be able to retain your other staff who also want a payrise. you also know that a rival company;s worker who is also solid in his work ethics is available and only wants 60k. 60k would be more manageable as you would be able to retain some of your other workers as well.

do you :
a) risk everything and pay the employee what he wants, leaving your company unable to employee another person.
b) buy the alternative employee and use the rest of the 'saved' cash to give slight pay rises to your other staff to keep everyone happy
c) neither give employee x nor the alternative player an employment contract and just promote another worker who has served his time as apprentice.

i would go for b or c.

why wouldnt the warriors even give him an offer? well as iafeta already said, theres no point in offering him something that is well beyong his expectations. warriors would have an idea what mckinnon and greenshields managers feel would be a suitable offer for their clients.

also keep in mind that if we go for c, we could shore up some money to buy a decent 5/8 - if there is anyone available or strengthen other positions.

i would put tualapapa at fullback, or ropati in webbs place. vuna and vatuvai on the wings.

he will be a big loss, but dont criticise the management for doing business. its an important part to making this club successful.

Esoj_old

tune into newstalk zb or radiosport now. wayne scurrah is about to be interviewed.

Iafeta_old

Well said Taj, as usual.

Can someone post what Wayne had to say, for us poor folk over the ditch?

Esoj_old

well anyone can listen to it. just go to www.radisport.co.nz and click on listen back on the left handside. select saturday and then select 13:15-13:30. the interview with wayne starts part way through. you will also need to listen to 13:30-13:45 to hear the rest of it.

basically though what was said is that they have to work with the salary cap and they may not have enough to sign webb.

Sinbad_old

OK I will Put on MY Tipsters Hat and state the following:

Webb will not be playing for the Warriors next year. Unfortunately His Manager is the problem (should have been Delisted with the others but that is a differnet story). He will go to ESL. Is not worth as much in the NRL.....Not good enought! Before yopu all react, think about it. He is the best of an average bunch so stands out more. Is about No 5 or 6 for the Fullback ratings in NRL.

Warriors will do 1 of two things, Bring in a development player (2 spring to mind) OR purchase an other Aussie up and comer (wrong decision, As their loyalty and passion for the Warriors will wane in the future as they become more successful)

Bottom line is we can not afford to keep him at present. If we didn't have to deduct some moneies from last year, we would have kept him.

His manager tho is the thorn in Webbys side. Too much bad blood between the Warriors and Branigan. I would even lay a bet that the Warriors have spoken to Branigan BUT he has not mentioned it to Webby as Branigan is seeking alot more money (so he gets paid more).

Remember history tells us the The Tipster has NEVER been wrong YET !

Skinny_Ravs82

I don't think you can just fully blame one sole party for thise. For mind; both sides have been rather guilty for not dealing with the issue much sooner. Instead they had left it so late hence all this balming to some one.

On the one hand I do think the management are trying to do the right thing; people have to realise the sorts of restrictions we are now under because of what's gone on with the salary cap issue.

Also some players that know they are worth alot more have the capabilites to ask for it. But the Warriors at the moment just simply can't afford whatever it is the manager wants (which by the sounds of things is quite big) hence they do have to look at other options whehter they like to or not.

sebastian_old

Sinbad said:

Webb will not be playing for the Warriors next year. Unfortunately His Manager is the problem (should have been Delisted with the others but that is a differnet story). He will go to ESL. Is not worth as much in the NRL.....Not good enought! Before yopu all react, think about it. He is the best of an average bunch so stands out more. Is about No 5 or 6 for the Fullback ratings in NRL.

Warriors will do 1 of two things, Bring in a development player (2 spring to mind) OR purchase an other Aussie up and comer (wrong decision, As their loyalty and passion for the Warriors will wane in the future as they become more successful)Bottom line is we can not afford to keep him at present. If we didn't have to deduct some moneies from last year, we would have kept him.

His manager tho is the thorn in Webbys side. Too much bad blood between the Warriors and Branigan. I would even lay a bet that the Warriors have spoken to Branigan BUT he has not mentioned it to Webby as Branigan is seeking alot more money (so he gets paid more).

You forgot buy a already established australian fullback in which wade mcinion, luke pattern, anthony minechello, todd polglase , karmicheal hunt
would fall in that catergory. I don't think adding another bartercup kid to replace our best player will help us next year, infact if we don't replace him with someone decent it could be a disaster as webb saves a lot of trys.

playdaball_old

Lstening to the interview today, Mr Deaker stated that 7 players made up 70% of the cap. Who are they?
1. Price
2. Wiki
3. Guttenbiel
4. Toopi
5. Martin
6. Webb
7. Byrne

Who do you think?

warriors4life_old

sebastian said:
Sinbad said:

Warriors will do 1 of two things, Bring in a development player (2 spring to mind) OR purchase an other Aussie up and comer (wrong decision, As their loyalty and passion for the Warriors will wane in the future as they become more successful)Bottom line is we can not afford to keep him at present. If we didn't have to deduct some moneies from last year, we would have kept him.

You forgot buy a already established australian fullback in which wade mcinion, luke pattern, anthony minechello, todd polglase , karmicheal hunt
would fall in that catergory. I don't think adding another bartercup kid to replace our best player will help us next year, infact if we don't replace him with someone decent it could be a disaster as webb saves a lot of trys.

Karmichael Hunt? I don't think he will ever play for a team that begins with New Zealand, anyway there would be too much of an uproar if he was to sign. Also heard from Deaks that Clinton Shifcoske is coming off contract, he wouldn't be a bad fullback, we could do with his goalkicking.

Iafeta_old

playdaball said:
Lstening to the interview today, Mr Deaker stated that 7 players made up 70% of the cap. Who are they?
1. Price
2. Wiki
3. Guttenbiel
4. Toopi
5. Martin
6. Webb
7. Byrne

Who do you think?

I'd be surprised if Martin and Byrne are included in that.

I'd say Wairangi Koopu and Sione Faumuina are the other two.

Sinbad_old

Only the warriors and their managers know. All else is spectulation at best. I don't care what they get as long as they earn it every week ! And there is enough to go round without breaching the cap.

playdaball_old

Iafeta said:
playdaball said:
1. Price
2. Wiki
3. Guttenbiel
4. Toopi
5. Martin
6. Webb
7. Byrne

Who do you think?

I'd be surprised if Martin and Byrne are included in that.

I'd say Wairangi Koopu and Sione Faumuina are the other two.

Sione and possibly Wai - correct. Sad thing is once you get past Wiki and Price not too many of the other players would feature in the top 7 of alot of NRL clubs.