General Warning: West Tigers v Warriors @ Wellington

Has this been reported anywhere else in Australia besides hidden away on the NRL site?
I didn't see it on the main page but hidden under the news section.

The draw is supposed to be 16 weeks out so people can travel to places like NZ, Perth, Brisbane, Townsville etc. If this was a game in Sydney that was moved say us playing the Tigers, I bet there would be more coverage and more criticism of the NRL/Fox then this is currently getting.

I can understand if round 16 was being changed before the season but round 4?

Reactions: 1 user

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
In an email from HQ this morning it included the following

Tickets are going on sale Monday (we will send a special link out) for this game with a 20% discount for all members into a special Warriors Members bay.

They sorted out the $50 waiver and practically made me buy two fares the $35 grabaseat, and the $114 next best flight. That's how they supported our group.

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
The following is an email exchange between Wayne Scurrah & myself.

I have an opinion why he has not responded to the significant questions - others may take a more forgiving view!

From: Dave Sent: Wednesday, 5 February 2014 9:49 a.m. To: Wayne Scurrah Subject: Home Game Wellington

Hi Wayne,

Many out-of-Wellington members and Warriors fans who are non-members and who have already made travel and accommodation arrangements for this game will feel as I do this morning – disgusted!

The NRL trumpeted both in 2013 & again December 2014 when they announced the season schedule as allowing members to plan in advance.

When the draw was announced for 2014 it was accompanied by

Members and fans are once again able to plan their season in advance as the NRL today announced dates, times and venues in a season schedule that kicks off on Thursday March 6 with the Roosters opening their Premiership defence against their oldest rivals the Rabbitohs.

"Ensuring that members can plan around when their team is playing has remained a key priority," NRL Head of Football, Mr Todd Greenberg, said today.

Based on that assurance many of us immediately booked flights etc. to attend the game

I would appreciate it therefore if you could supply answers to the following:

a) What were the imperatives that have forced the change?

b) How will changing the game to Saturday allow more people to attend as trumpeted by Greenburg in the announcement – there are no Air New Zealand flights out of Wellington after the game back to Auckland on a Saturday?

c) When did the Warriors first become aware of a possible change, noting that on the West Tigers fans forum their published draw on 4 December had the game scheduled for Saturday 29th, and the NSWRL VBCup draw had the Warriors playing on the Saturday?

d) Why did you not put out an announcement at the time that you became aware that the schedule might change and that members etc. should wait until the schedule was resolved before making bookings?

e) What compensation will the NRL/Warriors offer to those who will now be out of pocket?

f) What reliance in the future can we place on the season schedule not being changed once it has been published?

With your permission I will post your response on the Warriors Fan Forum
Regards

Dave

From: Wayne Scurrah [mailto:Wayne@warriors.co.nz] Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:17 PM To: Dave Cc: Don Mann; Dan Burton Subject: RE: Home Game Wellington

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your email and your support of the club.

I know Dan has already been in touch with you but apologies for not getting back to you last week, I was in an NRL conference in Sydney and we have been full on with trials and Nines prep since then. In case we have not covered everything though I would like to fully respond as follows:

With regard to scheduling, this is controlled by the NRL and their partnership with Fox Sports and Channel Nine. The decision to change the day of the game was driven by Fox Sports who own broadcast rights to the NRL and the A-League. Fox Sports feel the NRL game being played on Saturday night at 5pm NZ (3pm Australia EST) better suited their schedule and we had absolutely no input into this change.

We were only advised on Monday 3rd Feb by the NRL that they were about to change the day of the game. They confirmed this on Tuesday and we immediately released the draw change to our members. Up until that point our game was scheduled for Sunday 30th March and we were preparing for that day. Unfortunately it is one of the downsides of fixed scheduling and we also have to now set about making changes to planned advertising, ticketing and our own flights booked in advance.

Air NZ quickly provided a solution for those that booked on their GrabaSeat supporters’ flight originally arranged for the Sunday and are communicating those changes directly to those who have already booked in advance. The GrabaSeat charter flight has now been rescheduled to Saturday, departing Auckland at 12.45pm and arriving in Wellington at 1.45pm. The post-match flight will depart at 9.00pm arriving in Auckland at 10.00pm. For any of those who booked on the GrabaSeat charter and are now unable to attend on the Saturday, Air NZ advise that a full refund will be provided by GrabaSeat. Further to Air NZ communicating direct to those already booked on the GrabaSeat charter, we will be communicating the new flight details and packages as soon as we have that information from Air New Zealand.

This is now shaping up to be an exciting weekend for those who wish to stay on and enjoy the best Wellington has to offer or take in an A-League game the next day. I do hope you can still attend.

All the best for 2014 and I look forward to seeing you at our games in 2014.

Regards

Wayne Scurrah
//
Chief Executive OfficerTRUE WARRIOR // WAR-2561555// Mobile: +64 21 500 437 // Direct line: +64 9 526 8826

Sent: Tuesday, 11 February 2014 6:38 pm To: Wayne Scurrah Subject: Home Game Wellington

Thanks Wayne for taking the trouble of responding

Whilst I can accept that the change was driven by Fox Sport I am surprised that you only became aware on Monday 3 February

I say that because:

a) When the draw came out & I booked my flights I emailed Lisa on 6 December re ticketing and in that email I noted: As a matter of interest as I searched for tickets I noted that the Phoenix are also scheduled to play at the stadium that evening – having purchased flights I surely hope that the Warriors game is not going to be rescheduled

b) The West Tigers fan website on 4 December had the game noted as being on the Saturday

c) The published NSWRL VB Cup had the Vulcan splaying in Wellington on the Saturday

Surely one is entitled to assume that your team had notice prior to 3 February of the possibility at the very least of a change – would you care to comment?

The response of Air New Zealand is noted and appreciated but is of no assistance to those who may have booked on Jetstar

As asked previously may I post your responses on the fan forum for the benefit of all members

Regards

Dave

From: Wayne Scurrah [mailto:Wayne@warriors.co.nz] Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:20 PM To: Dave Subject: Re: Home Game Wellington

Hi Dave,

Thanks got reply. Yes, fine to post.

Regards

Wayne

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
a) When the draw came out & I booked my flights I emailed Lisa on 6 December re ticketing and in that email I noted: As a matter of interest as I searched for tickets I noted that the Phoenix are also scheduled to play at the stadium that evening – having purchased flights I surely hope that the Warriors game is not going to be rescheduled
I say they would have known about the conflict the Fox Sports wanting the change as it is better for viewing reasoning is probably the NRL and Fox trying to save face. The fact you a fan picked this up so early before it was resolved is not a good look for them.

We are going to be sharing a ground soon with the Blues, the All Blacks and potentially one off football games and other events. The NRL and Fox will probably look at the draw closely then but being in NZ is a bit of a case of out of sight out of mind. The Warriors better check their draw more thoroughly in the future; this time it hasn't had much press coverage but in the future in most likely will.

Hopefully people can get their flights and accommodation adjusted.

Reactions: 1 users
It still ignores the out of Auckland fans. Anyone else is forced to pay a $15 fee as well as any price difference, then will have to negotiate deals on accomodation, etc.

Bad form.

I havent seen any notice of it anywhere but tickets are now up for sale for the wellies game. found out on the warriors website. youd think they would have emailed members and told em eh?

I found some info it's $28 per person for the covered silver area, and around about $48 per person for the gold covered section. PLus theres a family pass 2 adults 2 children forgotten how much they are. I'm snapping the silver area up.

I havent seen any notice of it anywhere but tickets are now up for sale for the wellies game. found out on the warriors website. youd think they would have emailed members and told em eh?
I got an email about the members pre sale last Sunday... The tickets have been on sale for members since last Monday and to the general public since yesterday I think. Members bay are in a good place too.. Aisle 27/28 which is right smack bang in the middle on the sunny side!

pretty bullshit Butch. I myself am a member, a mate of mine thats coming with me to the wellies game is a member. We received no word of a presale. Found tickets for sale by fluke. Warriors really know how to look after their members aye? yea right.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
this is what I was sent on the 10/2

Hi
As a faithful Vodafone Warriors member you get the first crack at buying tickets to our round 4 match against the Wests Tigers at Westpac Stadium, Wellington. You also have the opportunity to purchase discounted tickets for you friends and family to every home game this season.
The pre-sale window is open from
Monday 10 February to Friday 14 February

Vodafone Warriors at Eden Park – Members receive a 10% discount
Vodafone Warriors at Westpac Stadium – Members receive a 20% discount
Vodafone Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium – Members receive a 10% discount
(Click the links above or the banners below)

ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME CLASHJoin us at Waikato Stadium to be a part of this once-in-a-lifetime clash between your Vodafone Warriors and 2013 UK Super League Champions Wigan Warriors. The team will be captained by Hamilton's very own Sam Rapira and include established NRL players Jacob Lillyman, Ben Matulino, Dane Nielsen, Jerome Ropati.

Take advantage of the Member-Only offer!
Four Tickets for $55 (That's less than $14 a ticket)
BUY TICKETS TO 'CLASH OF THE WARRIORS'

Just checked my emails and nothing in spam. Last message received was 4/2/14 advising me of schedule change. My mate checked his emails and he definitely received no email regarding prepurchase and is fuming.

Yip got the one schedule change on the 4th and then the email above advertising the pre sale on the 10th... Also got an email this week (can't recall exact date as has been deleted) selling the Eden park jersey and shorts..

Maybe flick them an email - they responded to my question about where the members bay was at westpac stadium pretty quickly.