General Warning: West Tigers v Warriors @ Wellington

You on a mobile/tablet? They have been having some issues with load times on some devices. They're upgrading all their sites over the next couple of weeks, which should fix any problems.
On home PC and mobile. Same response for both. Includes the Warriors Video page. Everything else works fine.

Will the Warriors respond tonight? I hope they mention something and the silence now is because they are in a meeting with interested parties about how they can accommodate fans on later Saturday flights etc.

Reactions: slaughterhouse.sa

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Will the Warriors respond tonight?
Official response from the Warriors…

Schedule change for Wellington
Tuesday 4 February 2014 7:15 PM
astaticnrl.sportalhosting.com_site__content_LeadImage_00112791_leadimage.jpg

The NRL has today confirmed a change to the Round 4 Telstra Premiership match between the Vodafone Warriors and Wests Tigers at Westpac Stadium, Wellington, which will now be played at 5pm (3pm EST) on Saturday, March 29.

The match had originally been scheduled for a 2pm start (12pm EST) on Sunday, March 30.

“In consultation with the Warriors and broadcaster FOX SPORTS we have agreed to move the game,” NRL Head of Football, Mr Todd Greenberg, said.

“The new timeslot will give more fans the chance to travel to Wellington from across New Zealand for the match and it will make for a Super Saturday night of viewing on FOX SPORTS.”

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Schedule change for Wellington/89926

Kind of is but I want them to be a little bit more thoughtful to those who have purchased flights and accommodation early and are now in limbo. Some reassurance that we will be taken care of. They could have written that in the last sentence and nobody would be too upset about it. But most of us are in limbo for another night. I would prefer the Saturday game, but I would prefer to be at the game than fly while the game is on!

To me it's got more to do with Fox sports than making it easier for the fans, after all anyone seen any comments from fans anywhere saying they would have prefered a saturday game? Again it doesn't affect me cause I'm watching it on tv, but why spin a load of shit, why not just come out and say it's a decision made on money and pressure put on by an outside group. will be interesting to see exactly what is done in regards to helping people change flights and accommodation.

Reactions: Akkerz and Gee
There will be a heap of pissed of people out there who have already booked flights and accommodation for not only the Warriors game, but remember the Nix game against Adelaide has now been moved back a day so it will effect all there travel arrangements as well.
Luckily We booked to go down Saturday morning so we could watch the Nix then the Warriors, however if the game had originally been scheduled for Saturday night we would have booked just the one night in Wellington and picked up a grab a seat deal both ways saving $240 in flights and accom.

Reactions: Bit of Biffo
I went to the Warriors-Bulldogs game last year as I live in Wellington, the atmosphere back then was electric. My first league game ever I attended. Before that it had been rugby games. (Non All Blacks). Does anyone know how much the tickets are going to be this year for the Tigers game?

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
I have emailed Wayne Scurrah this morning as follows:

Hi Wayne,

Many out-of-Wellington members and Warriors fans who are non-members and who have already made travel and accommodation arrangements for this game will feel as I do this morning – disgusted!

The NRL trumpeted both in 2013 & again December 2014 when they announced the season schedule as allowing members to plan in advance.

When the draw was announced for 2014 it was accompanied by

Members and fans are once again able to plan their season in advance as the NRL today announced dates, times and venues in a season schedule that kicks off on Thursday March 6 with the Roosters opening their Premiership defence against their oldest rivals the Rabbitohs.

"Ensuring that members can plan around when their team is playing has remained a key priority," NRL Head of Football, Mr Todd Greenberg, said today.
Based on that assurance many of us immediately booked flights etc. to attend the game

I would appreciate it therefore if you could supply answers to the following:

a) What were the imperatives that have forced the change?
b) How will changing the game to Saturday allow more people to attend as trumpeted by Greenburg in the announcement – there are no Air New Zealand flights out of Wellington after the game back to Auckland on a Saturday?
c) When did the Warriors first become aware of a possible change, noting that on the West Tigers fans forum their published draw on 4 December had the game scheduled for Saturday 29th, and the NSWRL VBCup draw had the Warriors playing on the Saturday?
d) Why did you not put out an announcement at the time that you became aware that the schedule might change and that members etc. should wait until the schedule was resolved before making bookings?
e) What compensation will the NRL/Warriors offer to those who will now be out of pocket?
f) What reliance in the future can we place on the season schedule not being changed once it has been published?

With your permission I will post your response on the Warriors Fan Forum

Regards​
I will post his reponse when/if received and if he gives permission for me to do so

Last edited:

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
Those who have booked a Grabaseat fans flight ex Auckland will have/will receive an email advising the following:

We have been busy looking for a plane to get you down to Wellington and the good news is we have found one.

The new same day return Vodafone Warriors Fan Flight to Wellington will now have the following flight times:

Saturday 29 Mar
Depart Auckland 12.45pm Arrive Wellington 1.45pm
Depart Wellington 9.00pm Arrive Auckland 10.00pm (flight will still have the Vodafone Warriors NRL squad on board)

Reactions: surfin and tajhay
I received this:
The schedule change was driven by the NRL and FOX Sports and unfortunately our hands were tied in standing against this schedule change.

We are in the process of working with airlines to obtain different flight options for all those who have booked, this will include the Grabaseat offer advertised as well.

We are working non-stop with all parties involved to provide solutions to all flight bookings made.

Reactions: surfin
Those who have booked a Grabaseat fans flight ex Auckland will have/will receive an email advising the following:

We have been busy looking for a plane to get you down to Wellington and the good news is we have found one.

The new same day return Vodafone Warriors Fan Flight to Wellington will now have the following flight times:

Saturday 29 Mar
Depart Auckland 12.45pm Arrive Wellington 1.45pm
Depart Wellington 9.00pm Arrive Auckland 10.00pm (flight will still have the Vodafone Warriors NRL squad on board)

At least Air NZ knows how to look after their customer base.

Reactions: Freddie Futler
I received this:
The schedule change was driven by the NRL and FOX Sports and unfortunately our hands were tied in standing against this schedule change.

We are in the process of working with airlines to obtain different flight options for all those who have booked, this will include the Grabaseat offer advertised as well.

We are working non-stop with all parties involved to provide solutions to all flight bookings made.
Let us know what that spin actually delivers,

Part of the attraction of the Warriors is they are the kind of Silver tongue devils that could sell bibles to Arabs

This is from Grabaseat. Not exactly what I am after but hopefully that is where the club can come in and soothe through for their fans.

• For anyone who has booked flights with Air New Zealand you can contact reservations on 0800 737 000. and inform the reservations consultant you are changing flights due to Warriors match being rescheduled this way they will know to waive the change fees ($50 per person). You will still need to pay a service fee and any fare difference if applicable.

And now that I have checked Grabaseat for flights on Saturday. There is only one that is reasonably cheap which arrived after the game ... I'm going to let the club arrange alternative arrangements. Surely AIRNZ could put on a special chartered flight for those affected. I got answers, that's a better position than last night. Let it go for a few days and hope to have some positive progress in the next few days.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Been busy getting trashed but this is the response I got this morning:

Hi Charlie

Good to hear from you and apologies for the late reply. You will have seen the release last night which confirms the change to Saturday now.

A Saturday game is what we originally requested from the NRL and is better for FOX SPORTS coverage – but we are conscious that it causes problems for all those people who booked travel and accommodation already.

First of all we are working on how to assist any Members who have already made travel plans and Air NZ have been fantastic and are contacting people to change flights.

Best regards

That was a personal email so I won't post who sent it to me and this is by no means an official statement...

Any Vodafone Warriors member or fan who has booked flights with Air New Zealand outside the charter to attend the match needs to contact reservations on 0800 737 000 advising the reservations consultant they are changing flights due to the match being rescheduled. The $50 change fee will be waived. However, customers will still need to pay a service fee ($15) and any fare difference if applicable.

It's simply cheaper to not go down and waive my flight. Flights are now $94 to $114 + $15 service fee. Therefore in my case; $94 + $15 = $109 - $35 = $75 x 4 = $300 plus match tickets. Smells of a money making exercise. Disgraceful if this is all they are going to do about it.

Any Vodafone Warriors member or fan who has booked flights with Air New Zealand outside the charter to attend the match needs to contact reservations on 0800 737 000 advising the reservations consultant they are changing flights due to the match being rescheduled. The $50 change fee will be waived. However, customers will still need to pay a service fee ($15) and any fare difference if applicable.

It's simply cheaper to not go down and waive my flight. Flights are now $94 to $114 + $15 service fee. Therefore in my case; $94 + $15 = $109 - $35 = $75 x 4 = $300 plus match tickets. Smells of a money making exercise. Disgraceful if this is all they are going to do about it.

The way I'm reading all this it has everything to do with the NRL and Fox and the teams and fans appear to be nothing more than an annoyance.

Time for Eric and Owen to do a '02 finals thing and help make sure than fans that have already paid get to the game. Hell that's easy spending other peoples money, I can see why my kids enjoy it.:D

Last edited:

If the club were truely hog-tied, they would do something themselves to assist in correcting the situation. Every person who has to change a flight (incurring costs) to get to the game should get free entry to the game. It would show genuine good faith from the club, rather than expecting Air NZ to fix it all. Or perhaps the club could pay the $15 fee, and cover any extra costs. I find it a bit weak and ironic that the only people NOT incurring any extra costs are the Auckland fans travelling on a special flight, when this is supposed to be about attracting new fans from new areas.

There will still be many who simply won't be able to attend now. They will have plans locked in that are now unchangeable. They will still have to negotiate accomodation changes themselves, which will incur more costs. Or they may have the day off work, babysitters, or any number of other obligations but are now unable to change to suit the game.

I am sceptical that the flight changes that have been arranged are really for everyone, or just members.

I think this is bad form on the part of everyone involved. Specifically the NRL. Fox are just doing what they would be expected to do. They are out to get ratings. If they are able to pressure the NRL into this change, then well done, but the NRL should also be looking at wearing some form of reparation for this cock-up. They were the ones who came up with the draw and "locked it in" for the first 20 rounds. Surely they took their proposed draw to the networks before announcing it, otherwise they are idiots. They should have given a deadline for any suggestions from the networks. They are a business full of professionals who should know how to choreograph a season, without being forced to change it before it even begins.

Maybe the club need to create a list of everyone affected and the costs involved and take it to the NRL with a clear note of disdain for the flippant disregard for a large chunk of the NRL's following. For a business that makes big noises about taking the game outside of the "standard" league neighbourhoods, its disgusting that they would allow one broadcaster to force their hand on the 2nd attempt to take an NZ home game out of Auckland. It will ensure next years game (if there is a next years game) has a reduced turnout.

Last edited: