General Vulcans vs Tigers

jagz_old

Fulltime

Vulcans 40 (Tupou 2, Fisiiahi, Gavet, Johnson, Metcalf, Penehe, tries; Johnson 6 goals)
Balmain 18 (Meany, Mullaney, Ryan, tries; Meany 3 goals)

Fazz_old

Hope not...I wanna see him in the nrl game lol.

Johnson has a hell of a strikerate in nsw cup, he must have scored at least one try in every game he's played so far...

Does this put the Vulcans back at the top of the table? They'd have to be close surely.

Spence_old

Good game. Johnson is a ****ing beast. He's a decent size now, definitely holds his own in defense now. Plus he still has all his speed. He had about 3 linebreaks today. His goal kicking was also great, knocking them over from the sideline with ease. Everytime I see him play for the Vulcans I get more excited. His passing game is so good: crisp, fast, long, you name it.

Fisiiahi had a solid game. Scored a nice try running back on an angle from 10 metres out and had a tidy game at the back, made a few tackle breaks. However, his fitness isn't quite there. Not ready to come back to the NRL yet. He was limping the entire match (although still could run at full pace), then went off after 60 minutes. He came back on the wing with about 5 minutes to go.

Spence_old

Bill Tupou keeps impressing me too. Beginning of the year I was very tough on him, but he is playing some great football for the Vulcans.

Regarding the players on the bench for the Warriors: Moon was the only one that played today.

And yes, Poching did play.

Fazz_old

Good game. Johnson is a ****ing beast. He's a decent size now, definitely holds his own in defense now. Plus he still has all his speed. He had about 3 linebreaks today. His goal kicking was also great, knocking them over from the sideline with ease. Everytime I see him play for the Vulcans I get more excited. His passing game is so good: crisp, fast, long, you name it.

Fisiiahi had a solid game. Scored a nice try running back on an angle from 10 metres out and had a tidy game at the back, made a few tackle breaks. However, his fitness isn't quite there. Not ready to come back to the NRL yet. He was limping the entire match (although still could run at full pace), then went off after 60 minutes. He came back on the wing with about 5 minutes to go.

Great news on Johnson. I'm sure he's wondering why the hell he's in nsw cup at the moment, but will be greatful once he finally gets the call up. If he stays fit he's bound to be our first choice 7 by the end of the trial next year.

Don't like the sound of the Fish limping. Might be a while before we see him in the NRL again with the way Locke's playing.

Did Tupou play in the centres at all? I reckon that's his best chance to crack our NRL team again.

Johnson your MOM, Spence?

Spence_old

Perhaps limping was a tab harsh. He could still run freely, but when he was walking you could tell it was bothering him. His runs were still strong and quick.

Yep, Johnson would be my MOM. The only thing I haven't seen from him is his long kicking. John seems to be taking the long kicks, which I'm surprised about.

Nah, Tupou just stayed on the wing.

Spence_old

Gelling has impressed me as well. There's about a million second rowers in front of him, but I definitely think he has a future in the NRL if he moves back to Aussie. He has a good running game and a tidy off load.

Fazz_old

Hopefully it's just a confidence thing for the Fish.

Oh well, having another quality back up winger is nothing to sneeze at. Tupou would get a gig at a few NRL clubs imo. Parra, Cronulla, Panthers and Roosters (with their current injuries)

Yeah, I only saw Gelling in the televised game but he was very impressive. I'd be happy to pick him up as an opposition supporter. He seems really talented, how old is he?

Johnson's long kicking has never been his strong point but IMO it's enough to get his through an NRL season while he works on it. Stacey Jones has a terrible long kicking game so that's no real hurdle. Friend and Maloney, or even Mateo would be able to kick it long for Johnson if need be anyway, I'm pretty sure friend isn't a bad long kicker.

Ryan_old

We never need to worry about long kicking when Maloney is in the team. He's a freakin' gun, second only to Soward (and probably on par with with Campese and Mullen), and the rest of the rabble are a quite a few marbles short of these 4 guys collections!

However, if Maloney is not in the team, the question is definitely valid. Who's going to win us that territory, consistently???

Spence_old

I actually think Johnson is a good long kicker. In the 20s he would kick it dead from behind his 30 metres line. Well he did it once.

I think Gelling is 20-21? He was sacked from the Roosters NYC team.

Fazz_old

I'm not saying he's bad. It'll probably just take him time to get used to the NRL speed and thus he won't be an option at the end of every set. Also, having others to do the kicking will only be a benefit.

I remember Johnson's long kicking was quite good, but some of the fullbacks were so bad it would make anybody's kicking look good haha.

Wow unlucky for Gelling, he seems to be quite a talent. Was it an off field problem?

BringBackRovelli_old

From what I saw in the U20's, Johnson has a pretty good long kick. I think it's more to do with the halves sharing the workload in this fashion. I'd say he has an ok territorial game, but he's a brilliant attacking half first and foremost, and that's what his workload should reflect.

Spence_old

I rate Johnson a better 6 than 7. I think he's his best running onto the ball at speed toying with the second rowers on the fringes.

Fazz_old

Same, he'd be a fine 7 too but 6 is his position in NRL imo. Sort of in the Benji mould, as cliche as that sounds.