General Vulcans Explode For First Nsw Cup Win

Viking_old

From the Warriors site

VULCANS EXPLODE FOR FIRST NSW CUP WIN

The Auckland Vulcans rebounded from two straight defeats to trounce previously unbeaten Central Newcastle 44-18 in their New South Wales Cup clash at Henham Park in Auckland today (Saturday).
Newcastle boasted a number of players who turned out for the Knights at NRL level last year.
Among them were halfback Luke Walsh, prop Mitchell Sargent (the ex-North Queenslander), second rower Mark Taufua and utility Michael Young.
But despite that experience the visitors were unable to stay with the Vulcans.
Including just two players with any NRL games behind them - Vodafone Warriors winger Michael Crockett and centre Aidan Kirk - the Vulcans were transformed from the side swamped 34-10 by Wentworthville last weekend and edged out 22-20 by Central Coast a fortnight ago.
They finished the first half with three tries in the space of seven minutes to lead 22-6 at halftime and went into overdrive in the vital third quarter with four more tries to take a commanding 44-6 lead.
It could have been more but for a couple of would-be tries being rubbed out.
Newcastle's only consolation was two tries in the closing minutes of the match.
Match details:

At Henham Park, Otahuhu:
Auckland Vulcans 44 (Michael Crockett 2, Arron Pawley, Jeremiah Pai, Malo Solomona, Pita Godinet, Raymond Ioane, Karl Guttenbeil tries; William Heta 4 conversions, penalty; Aaron Heremaia conversion).
Central Newcastle 18 (Matthew Burnham, Willie Tupou, Scott Briggs tries; Luke Walsh 3 conversions).
Halftime: 22-6.
Referee: Luke Potter.

Viking_old

That's a good scalp for the Vulcans, Newcastle had handed out hidings to the Bulldogs and Balmain in their previous two games.

warrior rok50_old

Crocketts seemed good in all the vulcans games maybe we should look at giving him a shot in first grade iv always rated him above Ah Van

Viking_old

Rd 1 Central Newcastle 36 defeated 12 Balmain-Ryde Tigers
Rd 2 Central Newcastle 40 defeated 18 Bulldogs

Pretty good result for the Vulcans considering those results. We really need this team to do well for the local boys exposure and to keep the Warrior boys returning from injury to work their way back into form. One of the problems is the constant change of players, there were 6 debutants in last weeks loss. They need to get some stable combinations together.

It would be good for South Island league for ChCh to put a team into this comp, do you think that it's possible NU?

Northern_Union

Yeah i do think they have the players to compete in this comp. Where they will struggle though is with injuries cause i don't think there is great depth behind the top 16 or 17 at the moment.

Viking_old

Yeah i do think they have the players to compete in this comp. Where they will struggle though is with injuries cause i don't think there is great depth behind the top 16 or 17 at the moment.

Could Canterbury League handle it financially though?

There must some talent on the West Coast and they could get some talent from Wellington as well. I reckon it's doable if the money's there.

Northern_Union

Could Canterbury League handle it financially though?

There must some talent on the West Coast and they could get some talent from Wellington as well. I reckon it's doable if the money's there.

Thats the big thing! In a country of 4 million we have 5 S14 teams, 1 NRL team + two semi pro feeder teams, The Phoenix and now the 5 Netballs and the Breakers. Add to that every national team for the various sports and there can't be much money left for professional sports...infact the well must be almost dry i'd say and thats where a Canterbury team would struggle.

Jesbass_old

I didn't know Karl Guttenbeil and Jeremiah Pai were still playing. Good to see. I'm assuming they no longer have ties with the Warriors, though?

Iafeta_old

Great result.

The irony in the story though is the Warriors website claim that only Crockett and Kirk have NRL experience in that team. One of the try scorers...Jeremiah Pai. Played FOR the Warriors.

Jesbass_old

Great result.

The irony in the story though is the Warriors website claim that only Crockett and Kirk have NRL experience in that team. One of the try scorers...Jeremiah Pai. Played FOR the Warriors.

Well, I'll be. I found this on NZ Herald:
The Warriors' feeder side Auckland Vulcans won their first game in the New South Wales competition, beating Central Newcastle 44-18 at Henham Park in Otahuhu. The side included Warriors wing Michael Crockett who scored two of their eight tries, former Warrior Jeremiah Pai who got one and fullback Aidan Kirk.

The author? One P Jessup! :clap2:

Source: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10501062

Esoj_old

hmm seems like crockett is in form for the vulcans maybe we will see him replacing ah van in a few games if current trends of performance continue.

dicky knee_old

Great result.

ooops, I masde a bad post soz

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking_old

Apparently the Vulcans have just beaten the Newtown Jets 23-22 in Sydney! For those that don't know, the Jets are the top team in the NSWRL cup being the Roosters premier league team.

Good work boys and a big scalp for Bernie!

bringbkmeli_old

nice results 4 all the kiwi teams.... that must of been a great game to watch! i wish they would show the NSWRL on sky.....