Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A windfall tax is bad policy - will the government pay a windfall bonus every time there is a recession or a business gets into trouble?

I’m sure you would be the first attacking any corporate welfare?

If it doesn’t work both ways it shows it’s not good policy.
What did the government do during covid exactly?

It's definitely not me that has a lack of perspective.

It's the guy that feels the need to argue the NRL refs are fair & supermarkets / banks and power companies should smash Kiwis to make as much profit as possible.

The big four power companies make $520 million net profit a year.
The banks make $7b net profit a year
The same government report said supermarkets make $1m per day in excess profit.

Yet you'll die on the hill a foreign buyers tax / where the numbers don't stack up is the way to go.

What a pathetic joke.
While a totally agree with you the companies who make revenue in NZ should pay tax here, which party has a policy to change the current rules? I think the Greens might and possibly the Maori Party.

One of the issues NZ has is we develop the worlds best kiwi fruit vines….. and then export them to other countries with cheaper labour who then sell to the same markets we do but at a cheaper price.

Then some breeders decide to sell our livestock and cattle genetic material developed over decades through selective breeding to the Chinese who then have access to their own dairy products but don’t need to import ours.

Greed from certain people means we never learn!
They came from China.

All our guys did was breed better varieties. The Chinese were coming out here and stealing them anyway.

All you have to do is got to Te Puke in winter and pick some prunings off the ground. No problem. Chinese are smart.

However there is a bit more to it than that.

There is post harvest management, that the Chileans in particular took a long time to master, but they did.

They did with avocados too.

Santiago is a similar latitude to Auckland, no worries, and just a quick boat trip up the west coast of Merka.

That... but they did wage subsidy every company including the hugely profitable ones...
Note the WAGE part of it. It was the dole for employees paid through businesses and done badly.

It didn’t cover the full wages and didn’t cover any expenses. It didn’t help businesses at all. If there was never those payments, businesses would have paid out sick/ annual leave and then required employees to take unpaid leave. It prevented those businesses from laying off employees.

Note the WAGE part of it. It was the dole for employees paid through businesses and done badly.

It didn’t cover the full wages and didn’t cover any expenses. It didn’t help businesses at all. If there was never those payments, businesses would have paid out sick/ annual leave and then required employees to take unpaid leave. It prevented those businesses from laying off employees.
Big statement. "Didn't help businesses at all "
I was one of those companies who was able to continue trading with the assistance and I am absolutely confident there's 100s others who are the same .Maybe you were not able to take advantage but it's not all about you.

Last edited:
Big statement. "Didn't help businesses at all "
I was one of those companies who was able to continue trading with the assistance and I am absolutely confident there's 100s others who are the same .Maybe you were not able to take advantage but it's not all about you.
Ok, it covered the basic wages of the owners as well which for small owner operators was huge.

But for bigger businesses with lots of staff and fixed expenses the owners wages was insignificant compared to the expenses.

Not against what was done as it kept people employed and the money flowing but the representation that it was a big bonus for businesses isn’t the reality for most as it was a subsidy towards staff wages.

High quality MPs in waiting with National and Act.
Can’t believe nothing has been said about some of the strange tweets the likes of Hatere Hipango and mark Mitchell made through covid and when meeting protesters outside parliament.

Back