General Video Refs

Iafeta_old

I don't know if any of you guys are watching the Dragons/Cowboys game, but Graeme West is having a game from the box that would make Steve Nash proud for incompetency. He just gave a try to Jamie Soward where A: he touched it while the ball was floating in the air (so a knock on when it hit the ground) B: wasn't close to grounding it afterwards. Soward's walking back after the play, not excited, an anxious look, everyone agrees no try... TRY Benefit of the Doubt. The doubt was immense. Just then there was a play the ball under the Cowboys sticks, Luke O'Donnell rips the ball out, referee calls a scrum, and then says to check it, just as he says to check it O'Donnell's heads reels back and you can see the look of guilt on his face. Instead of two looks, just one look, but that's alright it was absolutely blatant it's been stolen from his hands.... "scrum boys". Nowhere near a knock on.

I think the best way to appraise the referee's inconsistencies in the stripping area, and how bad most of them are is if you refer to the Parramatta against Newcastle game. First half, five minutes to go, Luke Burt's on the ground with the ball, Scott Dureau is on his back on top of him attempting to clear the ruck, his elbow accidentally grazes the ball, Burt somehow loses it, we have a penalty somehow for a strip. Outcome, Newcastle barely see the ball for the remaining 5 minutes of that half and get done in with 10 points against them. End result, golden point loss to Newcastle. Parramatta who have had one good half of football all year somehow find themselves not down fighting it out for Souths for early year embarrassments, but on the back of that schmezol are still up there.

My own opinion, get the video referees out of checking strips. Great idea, but when they are as blind as bats, or have no concept as to how rugby league is played they shouldn't be involved. But, as Mr Finch keeps reminding us, they in their opinion get it right 99% of the time. Time for an overall of the referee's department, some good young ones coming through (like the look of Jarred Maxwell) but when they have an old boys club up in the video box making blunder after blunder, it's hard to believe any business manager could be responsible for such a technology assisted area and get so many calls so many that they could still have that position some 3-4 years later.

Skinny_Ravs82

When have they ever been good? What did you think of the video ref's decisions for the no-trys in the Manly v Melbourne game, including the try that was given to the Sea Eagles late in the game?

Jesbass_old

I don't know if any of you guys are watching the Dragons/Cowboys game, but Graeme West is having a game from the box that would make Steve Nash proud for incompetency. He just gave a try to Jamie Soward where A: he touched it while the ball was floating in the air (so a knock on when it hit the ground) B: wasn't close to grounding it afterwards. Soward's walking back after the play, not excited, an anxious look, everyone agrees no try... TRY Benefit of the Doubt. The doubt was immense. Just then there was a play the ball under the Cowboys sticks, Luke O'Donnell rips the ball out, referee calls a scrum, and then says to check it, just as he says to check it O'Donnell's heads reels back and you can see the look of guilt on his face. Instead of two looks, just one look, but that's alright it was absolutely blatant it's been stolen from his hands.... "scrum boys". Nowhere near a knock on.

I think the best way to appraise the referee's inconsistencies in the stripping area, and how bad most of them are is if you refer to the Parramatta against Newcastle game. First half, five minutes to go, Luke Burt's on the ground with the ball, Scott Dureau is on his back on top of him attempting to clear the ruck, his elbow accidentally grazes the ball, Burt somehow loses it, we have a penalty somehow for a strip. Outcome, Newcastle barely see the ball for the remaining 5 minutes of that half and get done in with 10 points against them. End result, golden point loss to Newcastle. Parramatta who have had one good half of football all year somehow find themselves not down fighting it out for Souths for early year embarrassments, but on the back of that schmezol are still up there.

My own opinion, get the video referees out of checking strips. Great idea, but when they are as blind as bats, or have no concept as to how rugby league is played they shouldn't be involved. But, as Mr Finch keeps reminding us, they in their opinion get it right 99% of the time. Time for an overall of the referee's department, some good young ones coming through (like the look of Jarred Maxwell) but when they have an old boys club up in the video box making blunder after blunder, it's hard to believe any business manager could be responsible for such a technology assisted area and get so many calls so many that they could still have that position some 3-4 years later.

Video referees can be incompetent at the best of times. I don't think taking them out of the equation is the answer. I think putting the right ones in there is the answer. A video ref ruling on a strip/error is a good idea, as long as it's executed properly. The NRL seems to suffer from a lack of accountability, which dismays me, somewhat.

I still remember that penalty try the Storm scored against us at Mt Smart, which makes me think the video refs should read the rule book once or twice, too.

Iafeta_old

When have they ever been good? What did you think of the video ref's decisions for the no-trys in the Manly v Melbourne game, including the try that was given to the Sea Eagles late in the game?

Didn't actually see them TBH, meh there was a Beatles thing on Bio which I got caught flicking to and then staying on ;-) (mad old school music fan here)

Video referees can be incompetent at the best of times. I don't think taking them out of the equation is the answer. I think putting the right ones in there is the answer. A video ref ruling on a strip/error is a good idea, as long as it's executed properly. The NRL seems to suffer from a lack of accountability, which dismays me, somewhat.

I still remember that penalty try the Storm scored against us at Mt Smart, which makes me think the video refs should read the rule book once or twice, too.

Yes the lack of accountability, spot on. They seem to cover up their errors with a lack of acknowledgment, and find whatever unbelievable concoction they can to condone a poor decision.

I think part of the problem with the video referees is we have a lot of old school, but IMO incompetent on field referees filling the box. Ward, West etc I never trusted on the field, don't trust now. Steve Clark is another one, he seemed to love the attention of making highly strung incompetent calls, and his reward for a mediocre career, albeit a long one is a seat in the box. The interpretations are completely inconsistent which must drive coaches up the wall.

Iafeta_old

Here's another one, delays. Russell Smith has the view that a video referee should use no less than 46 replays to make a decision. Frank-Paul Nuuasuala just scored a very straight forward try, we saw no less than 38 times Frank-Paul putting the ball down. Perhaps there was obstruction? It was a direct hit up from 10 metres out.

Russell Smith is woeful. He tries to find reasons to withdraw tries.

Skinny_Ravs82

The fact they look at so many replays for whatever angles they have available to them, they can probably find ways to disallow trys, because if you slow down the shot, it does bring doubts then compared to real time.

Mone_old

Here's another one, delays. Russell Smith has the view that a video referee should use no less than 46 replays to make a decision. Frank-Paul Nuuasuala just scored a very straight forward try, we saw no less than 38 times Frank-Paul putting the ball down. Perhaps there was obstruction? It was a direct hit up from 10 metres out.

Russell Smith is woeful. He tries to find reasons to withdraw tries.
The thing I think he was looking at after the put down was a double movement, there wasnt but if there was and he awarded it immediately we would have comments like... he has all those camera angles and doesnt even use them.
I dont really mind the video refs decisions, they get a few wrong but without them there would be and used to be 10 times as many incorrect calls.

Skinny_Ravs82

Btw, is there a time limit to how long the video ref has to make a decision?

Northern_Union

No theres not but there is when it comes to making a decision involving scrums.

Iafeta_old

Ouch, please remove Steve Clark from the video refs box. If anyone saw his decision to somehow decline a clear, fair try to Matt Orford would know this bloke has only got worse as an official in the box, and that's saying something given he was the worst referee in the NRL. Clark was the bloke who came up with the motto "the game is about me, not the players."

Iafeta_old

It just gets worse, and worse. What jurisdiction does Russell Smith have to advise Steve Lyons that Brent Tate has knocked on in the event of making a tackle?

I'm sick to death of this bloke, he takes five minutes for any normal decision, and now he's getting involved on second guessing things that he's not only wrong about, but surely has no jurisdiction over.

Northern_Union

I heard Gus Gould say on the sunday roast today that they should get rid of the video refs because they are slowing the game down and getting it wrong so offen.

I think Russell Smiths display today is exhibit A.

Iafeta_old

I disagree on that. But I disagree with the NRL's general sentiment that on field refereeing experience is critical to being a video referee.

Exhibit A: Steve Clark
Exhibit B: Paul Simpkins
Exhibit C: Russell Smith

These three 'stooges' were consistently poor on field referees, and unbelievably, their lack of competence has not been helped by technology. Clark is so hit and miss, you have no idea what subclause he's looking at in respect to his officiating. Apparently he was getting into a few verbal stouches from the box at Brookvale Oval, it's clear he's not fit to handle these duties, he wasn't fit to handle it as an onfield referee (Exhibit A: The incident where he binned Louis Anderson Exhibit B: The incident where he binned David Kidwell at Shark Park) and as far as Simpkins goes, go no further than his mythical sending off of Wade McKinnon. It's as if we are rewarding incompetent on field officials for their years of duties with a pat on the back and a nice pay cheque to sit back and make horrific errors in a corporate box at the football.

AmieJ_old

The game should get rid of the video ref's they are making more mistakes than anything else, along with slowing the game down!

The game is getting to complicated for everyone involved, even the new obstruction rule - does anyone get that??? :s

Kid-Dynamite_old

The game should get rid of the video ref's they are making more mistakes than anything else, along with slowing the game down!

The game is getting to complicated for everyone involved, even the new obstruction rule - does anyone get that??? :s

It's basically a lottery now. It's anyone's guess.

The video ref might not go, but the whole checking to see if the ball was stripped has to go! Players are just making excuses everytime they lose the ball because of a poor carry. Sure it's worked a few times with the ref calling a lost ball when there has been a strip, but more often than not it's just wasting time. A ref and two touchies should be enough to make an accurate call on most occasions!