General Unwanted cowboy lines up

sebastian_old

Unwanted Cowboy lines up Mick Daly

A MACKAY junior unwanted by North Queensland is desperate to drive another nail into the fast-dying Cowboys' coffin.

Warriors star Grant Rovelli will line up at halfback against North Queensland in Auckland on Saturday, four years after being told he had no future with the Townsville club.
The 22-year-old spent several seasons in the Cowboys' system before being axed in a club cleanout at the end of 2002.

He managed a handful of games for the Young Guns in the Queensland Cup but was often played out of position at fullback and wing.

Rovelli admitted yesterday he was extra keen to bury the Cowboys, who must beat the Warriors to stay in finals contention. "I was with the Cowboys for a bit but then new management took over and I got brushed," he said.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt. But I've moved on.

"This is an important game for them and they will be fired up for a win.

"But it's also a pretty special game for me, too. They've been struggling with injuries and are low on confidence. I know I'll be doing everything I can to help our boys get up."

Rovelli joined Sydney Roosters in 2003 and had three seasons in the club's lower grades.

Even though he did not play NRL he said he had gained an invaluable education on halfback play under Roosters coach Ricky Stuart.

"I went to Sydney weighing a massive 70kg and the club really helped develop me as a player," he said.

"I was a bit dirty I didn't get more of a crack at halfback, especially last year, but in the end going there was the best move I ever made.

"It made me grow up a bit and I wouldn't be where I am now if I'd stuck around in north Queensland." Rovelli was enticed to the Warriors by coach Ivan Cleary, who was in charge of the Roosters' Premier League squad in 2003 and 2004.

After starting the season on the bench and at dummy-half, Rovelli has made the Warriors' No. 7 jersey his own.

He said he was enjoying the Auckland lifestyle even though it had been a culture shock.

"It's the complete opposite to Sydney," he said.

Cleary said Rovelli, who has signed with the Warriors until the end of 2010, was improving with every game.

"He's only in his first season and he's got a long way to go, but we do have high hopes for him," he said.

"I'd like to see him dominate games a little bit more but that can come in time."

sebastian_old

Grant can really stick it up them this week, its the clubs choice to let him go but by the sounds of things it wasn't a pretty exit. Micheal Luck may have a bit of incentive to win as well. Whatever happens i can feel Brents 100 game isn't a dead rubber by any means. Gatis's defense impressed me last week, i hope he can keep it up, Bowen can be a slippery fish. NQ's forwards must be contained, i thats the most important thing to remember if we do that, we just might have a sniff.

Skinny_Ravs82

Roosters have problems in their halves,
Cowboys are curretnly having no club of how to play football in seems and Thurston's missing too.

Both didn't take much notice of Rovelli, how interesting and how narrowed sighted are they? lol. Oh well their loss really.

sebastian_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Is there a link to this as well? Just curious

Too be honest i forgot where i got it from, i went to a huge link of RL sites & blindly picked one, i'm pretty sure it was only a sports based one, sorrys...