vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curran has come on and score a number of times.

I guess that is why they strike with him off the bench at precisely the time that they do?

Also for those wanting Curran to start, yeah I like it, but Ford is a pretty non impact bench forward.

Was thinking that then realized he started vs Dolphins and was pretty sharp, and was pretty energetic when he came on early due to injuries in some games, hope he gets 20 min at the end of each half as we‘ve had no impact from the bench for about a month lol

Was thinking that then realized he started vs Dolphins and was pretty sharp, and was pretty energetic when he came on early due to injuries in some games, hope he gets 20 min at the end of each half as we‘ve had no impact from the bench for about a month lol
With Webster you have to factor in that he likes player input and goes with it.

This arrangement between Ford and Curran is probably as simple as Ford wanting to start and Curran wanting to come off the bench.

He did that with Walker who was meant to play center, till Webster asked where Walker thought he was best suited, Walker chose the middle forward bench role for himself.

With Webster you have to factor in that he likes player input and goes with it.

This arrangement between Ford and Curran is probably as simple as Ford wanting to start and Curran wanting to come off the bench.

He did that with Walker who was meant to play center, till Webster asked where Walker thought he was best suited, Walker chose the middle forward bench role for himself.
Maybe he talked with Volkman and he said he wants to play 7 for the NSW cup team

I'm remarkably at ease with this game. I have great belief that if SJ plays and we can control the ball we will win

The Knights winning run is a bit of a red herring - they are just like us in that they have found ways to win rather than lose, this is not Parramatta 2009 coming our way.

I don't think the ref will be a factor, if anything it should favour us with the ferocious crowd we will bring.

Ultimately, on a shorter turn around with travel and following a very tough and extended game against Canberra, if Newcastle do manage to come to MSS and win then I'm almost certain they will have deserved it.

I want to be concerned about the lack of a prop on the bench, but last week we went ok during the period when AFB and Barnett were off. I think we only conceded two points while AFB was on the bench.

Adam Gee was terrible last week but I'd say that was more about Penrith than the Warriors. They get absolute darling treatment from the refs. We should get parity at home (most teams get much better than that but hey its aussies).

One prop in the whole team is a worry. I can kinda understand why considering how underwhelming Bunty has been, but I'd still have him over Jazz with his current form. We had a good thing going with Bunty starting for 20, better if we had a good second prop but fine enough.

Also agree Curran should start. At the very least he should play a lot more minutes. Webby hasn't quite got his bench rotation down, tends to leave it too late and keeps putting Siro on for AFB which is fucked.

Getting eliminated cause Volkman gets exposed would be so much better than playing without a field kicker again. That was just an auto loss last week. At least there's a chance Volkman has a ripper.

I mentioned a month or two back how I have a workmate who comments on the Warriors as soon as I walk into the office on Monday mornings. The last few years it hasn't been great turning up to work this year has been a breeze.

Now come to this week I was debating if I should go through the fight of getting tickets and was going to ask if he was keen. Ended up leaving it as I've been too busy at work, also if I went I'd get the guilt trip from my kids even though its the hottest tickets in town so getting a large number wasn't something I wanted to try.

Yesterday afternoon my workmate gets off the phone and says "Sweet mate called and got me a ticket, all sorted". Tinny bugger wasn't even planning to go. 😆

Last edited:
Lacks a big man for sure, I'd have Bunty in there personally, maybe even starting with Barnett off the pine and either Jazz or Siro dropping out.
We've been a big man short all season. I think Webby is going for players who can do big and hopefully effective minutes if needed...effective as in stamina, playing big minutes in the role, or being able to cover key positions.
Bunty's 20 has been a simple role, effective in the regular season, but positional/ versatility limits may not be enough for a finals series?

When Curran started against the Dolphins I thought he was great. I saw him run through so many times, I was sure he was going to score if someone just popped the pass to him. Unfortunately for him that was our reserve grade lineup when players were rested.

I don't mind him on coming off the bench, it's just his minutes have been low off the interchange, should give him a bit more.

In regards to Volkman is anyone not thinking about the otherside of the coin ?

He has guided the NSW Cup team around the park all year to get them 1 game away from the grand final.

I think it would be poor judgement and a bit of a kick in the face to take that away from him. We saw how average the NSWcup team played when they took him out 2 weeks ago, then how dominant they were with him and a few others back.

Can we please refrain from using swear words just for the sake of it, or using derogatory terms. It doesn't make you sound any tougher on the internet just because you can type it all out.

There's all types of people on this forum - ages, races and genders. Please be mindful.

And yes how do we get Adam Gee as the ref again, when there are so many other ref's in the NRL that is some kind of bias, i thought there were extremely poor calls, or missed infringements last weekend by him. Very one eyed and biased IMO

The Knights winning run is a bit of a red herring - they are just like us in that they have found ways to win rather than lose, this is not Parramatta 2009 coming our way.
I don't think it is 09 Parramatta but they have been better than just "finding a way" in the back half of the competition. Over the last 12 games they have average 30 in attack and 14 in defence.

The last 3 regular season games were beating the Rabbits 29-10, The Sharks 32-6 and the Dragons 32-12. I expect us to win with our forwards proving too strong, but it is a stretch to call their run a red herring,

Dave Riccio re: SJ
As of last weekend, all the discussions I had with the Warriors was about "if this was a grand final against Penrith last week. Shaun would be playing and it's only for the fact that we've got a game in our back pocket this weekend that we'll keep him on ice and get him ready"

Discussions today with the Warriors, I expected to pick up the phone and them to declare "He's good as gold, the golden child, he's ready to go"- It wasn't the case.

Unless they're taking a very slow build into this week I would say that Shaun Johnson still has some boxes to tick and that they will give him up until Friday to prove his fitness and that is a little bit concerning from my point of view. I think he plays but is he 100% I don't know, and only time will tell but I just didn't get that level of confidence that he is an absolute certainty to play.

Not a revelation by any stretch, but I am sweating bullets.

It's simple for me, if SJ plays we will win, if Ronny plays it could go either way, if Walker plays we will lose

We've been a big man short all season. I think Webby is going for players who can do big and hopefully effective minutes if needed...effective as in stamina, playing big minutes in the role, or being able to cover key positions.
Bunty's 20 has been a simple role, effective in the regular season, but positional/ versatility limits may not be enough for a finals series?
Yeah quite possibly mate, I won't pretend like I have any real idea haha. I'm just commenting on what I see, but yeah I'm sure there's a reason they have done what they have done and it's hard to argue with the results over the season as a whole 👍

Last edited:
I'm remarkably at ease with this game. I have great belief that if SJ plays and we can control the ball we will win

I don't think the ref will be a factor, if anything it should favour us with the ferocious crowd we will bring.

Ultimately, on a shorter turn around with travel and following a very tough and extended game against Canberra, if Newcastle do manage to come to MSS andWwin then I'm almost certain they will have deserved it.
Agree - totally confident in Webby and the team he's picked, dam! I love being this awesome game and team - win lose or draw, we gave it our best shot in 23 - kia kaha boys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back