General University research on fans' views of racism in the NRL

I just do not believe politics and sports should be linked.
What happens when a black athlete is booed by the crowd, abused by an opponent or abused on social media then?
Likewise when an athlete uses their profile to make a stand against racism?
It’s inevitable that sport and politics will mix given the high profile nature of top athletes and teams. Used properly sport can use its profile be a force for good, unfortunately there are bellends around who open their mouths far enough for their brains to fall out.

All lives matter buddy - even yours :) - strangely I said even yours after you called me a Cu*t. But to be honest my remark was not raciest - I would have said the same thing if it was a Movement against violence etc towards any race. I just do not believe politics and sports should be linked. I have nothing against the BLM movement. I work in a workplace which is multi cultural and I have many friends from all over the planet because of that. so implying I am a raciest Cu*t is such a strange comment coming from you when you have never met me.
I have never seen him this mad with someone before, keep up the good work 🤣

What happens when a black athlete is booed by the crowd, abused by an opponent or abused on social media then?
Likewise when an athlete uses their profile to make a stand against racism?
It’s inevitable that sport and politics will mix given the high profile nature of top athletes and teams. Used properly sport can use its profile be a force for good, unfortunately there are bellends around who open their mouths far enough for their brains to fall out.
This leads to the question of should sports people role models?

Devils advocate - do we allow say an athlete to shows gang insignia/ gestures, is that acceptable?

I’ve always been of the view that I admire the sportsman but seperate it from the personality/ personal views.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worried2Death
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56988616
Wigan Warriors prop Tony Clubb has been banned for eight games for using racist language during his side's Super League win against Hull FC on Thursday.

The 33-year-old directed his comment towards Hull forward Andre Savelio, who reported it to referee James Child during the match.
An independent tribunal found Clubb guilty of using "unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin".

"This was serious misconduct," said Guy Kearl QC, who chaired the tribunal.

"We have considered the evidence of both players and the circumstances surrounding the allegation and find that we are reasonably satisfied, taking into account the seriousness of the charge, that the words were said, albeit in the heat of the moment, but nevertheless were said."

Clubb, who was suspended by Wigan on Friday after they started their own investigation, has also been fined £500.

In handing down the decision on Tuesday, Kearl said Clubb "brought the game into disrepute" but added that the tribunal "do not find that he is a racist" after taking into account character references presented by the club.

"On this occasion he used unacceptable language in the heat of the moment," Kearl added.

"We have therefore reduced the penalty to take account of his character and good disciplinary record to a suspension for eight matches and a £500 fine."

This leads to the question of should sports people role models?

Devils advocate - do we allow say an athlete to shows gang insignia/ gestures, is that acceptable?

I’ve always been of the view that I admire the sportsman but seperate it from the personality/ personal views.

In my opinion saying sports people are role models is stupid. Some may be, but that is because of their character, not their sporting ability

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56988616
Wigan Warriors prop Tony Clubb has been banned for eight games for using racist language during his side's Super League win against Hull FC on Thursday.

The 33-year-old directed his comment towards Hull forward Andre Savelio, who reported it to referee James Child during the match.
An independent tribunal found Clubb guilty of using "unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin".

"This was serious misconduct," said Guy Kearl QC, who chaired the tribunal.

"We have considered the evidence of both players and the circumstances surrounding the allegation and find that we are reasonably satisfied, taking into account the seriousness of the charge, that the words were said, albeit in the heat of the moment, but nevertheless were said."

Clubb, who was suspended by Wigan on Friday after they started their own investigation, has also been fined £500.

In handing down the decision on Tuesday, Kearl said Clubb "brought the game into disrepute" but added that the tribunal "do not find that he is a racist" after taking into account character references presented by the club.

"On this occasion he used unacceptable language in the heat of the moment," Kearl added.

"We have therefore reduced the penalty to take account of his character and good disciplinary record to a suspension for eight matches and a £500 fine."
I wonder what happens if he just calls him a c*nt?

I undoubtedly believe in evolution I just don't believe everyone originates from 2 individuals named Adam & Eve
Yeah me too, it's an analogy for the ancestors as far as I know. One of my ancestors was Neanderthal but she had a thing for Cro-Magnons, I'm not ruling out aliens yet either.

• Haha
Reactions: Cces
I undoubtedly believe in evolution I just don't believe everyone originates from 2 individuals named Adam & Eve
Ahhh thanks for clarification...the Adam and Eve in my post is not a religious reference, it is scientific metaphor for the beginning point for the common Male and female ancestor of us all.

Call em George and Mildred if that helps....but the DNA goes back to one female and one Male.

Reactions: Cces
Ahhh thanks for clarification...the Adam and Eve in my post is not a religious reference, it is scientific metaphor for the beginning point for the common Male and female ancestor of us all.

Call em George and Mildred if that helps....but the DNA goes back to one female and one Male.

There was a Dinosaur with horns at the end of it's tail. Gary Larson did a Far Side cartoon of a caveman giving a lecture saying the horns are called the thagomizer, after the late Thag Simmons. Those tail horns are now called the thagomiser in science. Pretty cool I reckon.