General University research on fans' views of racism in the NRL

This is gonna be a long thought out reply that it deserves so will bookmark for later. Gotta go bed now, it's 1130, gotta get up at 530. But i agree with a lot of your message just a few points i wanted to correct or give my opinion on. Will reply tomorrow brother
It took about 30 seconds to think about my post so feel free to pick holes in it

BLM highlights an ongoing issue that needs to be under the spotlight. Whether a founder is a Marxist or whatever is irrelevant as the cause is just. There is some silly hysteria about it, I do not see how 'taking a knee' disrespects the anthem or flag, that is a smokescreen and irrelevant to the issue at hand.

As an ex Cop we were trained about the dangers of positional asphyxia. What were they trying to achieve, he was arrested, restrained in handcuffs, tie his feet if you have to, then get him out of there. There was no reason to keep him there that I could see. You are just risking raising tensions (as happened) among onlookers.

BLM highlights an ongoing issue that needs to be under the spotlight. Whether a founder is a Marxist or whatever is irrelevant as the cause is just. There is some silly hysteria about it, I do not see how 'taking a knee' disrespects the anthem or flag, that is a smokescreen and irrelevant to the issue at hand.

As an ex Cop we were trained about the dangers of positional asphyxia. What were they trying to achieve, he was arrested, restrained in handcuffs, tie his feet if you have to, then get him out of there. There was no reason to keep him there that I could see. You are just risking raising tensions (as happened) among onlookers.
Hardyman Yugo this post here explains what i was gonna say in probably a much better way than i could articulate.
I've seen many black people online criticize the people behind BLM and it's founders but end of the day what the movement highlights is just.

Reactions: Worried2Death
To me the Black lives matter thing is a political issue, and because Sports and politics should never mix I wish BLM was kept out of sport. Just my opinion, I like watching games and hate the build ups to games etc - Just get on with the games and all these political movements just make the fans wait for the kick offs longer.
Side note, kick off time never changes so what's your actual issues with these so called "build ups to games"?

Would be surprised if anyone thinks that there is no racism in the sport.
Personal opinion is racism is an extension of humans having a natural desire to form groups and ostracise anyone that’s different. Some sort of evolutionary safety mechanism where we fear diversity.

Take it back to school children - they bully each other over clothing choice, fashion, glasses, being a nerd, haircuts, being a teachers pet, sexuality, etc, etc. Ostracise those different.

We just naturally like to keep those similar to us close to us and push away others. Sport is an extension of this. We have our team and the others are the enemy.

Within races there is the exact same thing. Whites hate on ‘westies’ or ‘bogans’ etc. Maori seperate into ‘mongrel mob’ ‘black power’. We hate within races....

Racism is just a high profile form of compartmentalising ourselves. Doesn’t make it right but the root cause is our internal issues not the colour of someone’s skin.

- not that it matters but I am mixed race.

Last edited:
Maybe we should put him in prison and throw away the key 🤣
RL in the UK has traditionally been one of the more inclusive sports, not saying there hasn’t been racism in the past but the likes of Roy Francis, Billy Boston, Clive Sullivan and Johnny Freeman all left Cardiff because they knew they wouldn’t get a game for Wales RU team or even their club because they were black. Welcomed with open arms in RL

Wankers like Clubb we don’t need

Personal opinion is racism is an extension of humans having a natural desire to form groups and ostracise anyone that’s different. Some sort of evolutionary safety mechanism where we fear diversity.

Take it back to school children - they bully each other over clothing choice, fashion, glasses, being a nerd, haircuts, being a teachers pet, sexuality, etc, etc. Ostracise those different.

We just naturally like to keep those similar to us close to us and push away others. Sport is an extension of this. We have our team and the others are the enemy.

Within races there is the exact same thing. Whites hate on ‘westies’ or ‘bogans’ etc. Maori seperate into ‘mongrel mob’ ‘black power’. We hate within races....

Racism is just a high profile form of compartmentalising ourselves. Doesn’t make it right but the root cause is our internal issues not the colour of someone’s skin.

- not that it matters but I am mixed race.
Racism is largely a modern construct invented by those looking to justify profiting from slavery.

From there is spread around the world.

Race itself is a modern term a divide between humans invented in the modern epoch.

Tribalism is not racism though I get where you are making an argument from the pov of competition.

In Ancient times it was accepted that black Africans designed and built the Pyramids along with their whiter Egyptian countrymen, colour had no relevance, the Sphinx is a Negroid face.

I guarantee you that if the Pyramids were in Greece no one would talk about Aliens.

Hannibal was seen as an enemy of Rome, a genius, a peer of his Roman enemies. Rome tried to annihilate his people of Carthage, a genocide, though the literature of the day does not cast these events through a racial lense, and that is not political correctness....the Romans could say whatever the hell they liked.

Western society invented Racism with advent of the definition of race as a divider, and the use of biblical miss appropriation to justify their belief that one race is superior to another.

The cure for racism is that it is a construction, that must be de constructed by the enlightened...rather than excusing it as some inevitable evolution of the human condition.

What are we really talking here?

All homo sapiens descend from a single black Matralinial Eve and Black African Patralinial Adam.

Colour adaptations and so called racial features are adaptations to climate. Some groups have inter bred with other Human species such as Homo Neanderthalensis and Denisovans. These ancient human species are relatively highly represented in Europe, Asia, Melanesia.

It is interesting that since the discovery that Europeans carry up to 3% Neandethal DNA that the humble Neanderthal has been elevated from stupid cave man to social highly successful tool making smarter more sophisticated Cave man.

Truly fascinating to see that narrative reinvented in my life time.

Last edited:
The cure for racism is that it is a construction, that must be de constructed by the enlightened...rather than excusing it as some inevitable evolution of the human condition.
Not really wanting to delve into this as it’s an emotional topic. But willing to discuss in a respectful conversation.

If race is a construction, then surely we deconstruct it by dismissing races relevance in anything? Academically, if black lives matter, doesn’t it divides us alone race and reinforces the construction of race, if you acknowledge this? The guy was a murderer. Plain and simple.

I believe we have evolved to be scared of diversity (not racism). You survived if you hung around people you could trust - trust as in you understood their culture, their values, their morals, etc. The foreigners in the past were generally there to rape and pillage... if you put up walls against the foreigners you survived - physically and mentally.

Therefore, we don’t excuse racism because we evolved to be scared of diversity, we understand the drivers and use that to solve the problem. Built the trust, a common culture, common values and morals. Understand each other. Embrace our differences and unite us as one people.

As an example - there are presumably a lot of fans from all different races on this site. We all unite and are respectful because we have a shared interest. I guarantee if we all met for the Cowboys game, race wouldn’t be an issue between us. Yet we would unite in our dislike of the Warriors opponent (similar to a Warriors race vs a cowboys race...). It’s not race - it’s that humans naturally group together with people we trust against outside groups.

Now the divisive thing about racism is if someone is racist - eg kill the suspect because he’s black, etc. then that is completely unacceptable. Because we are all equal. But if we give special extra treatment to racial groups then I have an issue with that, the same as males paying more for car insurance or females have more rights in custody cases, or the use of the term boomer derogatorily (I’m not a boomer), etc. I feel we should all be equal is a fundamental building block to creating a united population.

Last edited:
Reactions: dean
Racism does not need to be about colour, take for instance the old Yugoslavia, or on a massive scale Germany in the Soviet Union in WW2.

Here is one I saw, at a public domain some mongrel mob members were there with their families having a bbq, their kids were playing happily and starting to mingle with other children there, which alarmed some parents who called their kids away. Despite the majority of those parents being white I do not think their motivation was racist but it was part of the isolation of those kids.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
1619784757458.png

Unless you are a black American who has experienced what they are protesting about then kindly STFU. Its cu**s like you that are the biggest part of the problem...
All lives matter buddy - even yours :) - strangely I said even yours after you called me a Cu*t. But to be honest my remark was not raciest - I would have said the same thing if it was a Movement against violence etc towards any race. I just do not believe politics and sports should be linked. I have nothing against the BLM movement. I work in a workplace which is multi cultural and I have many friends from all over the planet because of that. so implying I am a raciest Cu*t is such a strange comment coming from you when you have never met me.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Western society invented Racism with advent of the definition of race as a divider, and the use of biblical miss appropriation to justify their belief that one race is superior to another.
Not 100% accurate. Racism has existed for centuries , between China/Japan/south east Asia and Central Asia, many parts of Africa,Europe and all throughout ancient Americas prehistory.
Your example of Egypt- it was the Nubians aka “the golden ones” that were held in higher regard as the gods people vs other ethnicities.
It’s trendy right now to see racism as whites=bad but even within that ‘whites’ aren’t a generic single race there’s variations ethnically and culturally through Europe and it’s important to realise that as much as the differences of ‘black/Arab/Asian’ for example.
There are racists in every culture and ethnicity and has been for a long time, just as there are good and bad people in every race and culture.
Equality has not been achieved yet and I don’t have the solutions but seeking it through blame and vengeance isn’t the right way to achieve it and that is how some view current climate.

Reactions: dean and Kestrel84