Sports WWE / Wrestling

I’m surprised no one brought up Stings final match yesterday. And what a match it was. That’s how you farewell a legend of the game.

Kudos AEW.

Ole Anderson and Virgil passed away within a few days of each other. It often seems to come in groups.

Ole was in his 80's and had been sick for a while. Virgil was apparently sick recently as well.

Virgil had got a bit of notoriety the last few years for being at conventions and often being by himself, which led to the lonely Virgil meme. It was more likely convenient photos, mind you a few people would see his sign which would mention Ted Dibiase as well and Virgil would say he's coming back soon. You have to admire the guys hussle.

He had a good run as the Million Dollar Man's bodyguard. A pretty good gig, you stand there look menacing and take a few bumps every so often. He wouldn't have been as banged as the guys in the ring every night.

Named Virgil as a rib on Dusty Rhodes. Goes to WCW and they name him Vincent as a rib on Vince McMahon.

loved it! also loved how his sons were involved in the match. I know the norm is to go out on your back but i loved the fact he won
Young Bucks were the perfect final opponents for Sting. The Darby Allin Ladder spot was insane! Sting no selling the Bucks at the end was epic. I wish AEW got more fanfare because it tops WWE IMO.

Great last match from Sting. Be fair to him, he was usually in pretty big spots even at his age.
Hell yeah! Earlier this year he did a table bump off the barricade, he’s done a few of those spots over his tenure.

Young Bucks were the perfect final opponents for Sting. The Darby Allin Ladder spot was insane! Sting no selling the Bucks at the end was epic. I wish AEW got more fanfare because it tops WWE IMO.
I don't watch a lot of wrestling these days. the CM punk saga really turned me off aew (I still watch here and there). For his outburst at the media conference imo should of been fired on the spot.

anyway, I dipped back into WWE when I found out they fired their director who introduced shakey camera and 53 camera cuts in 60 seconds. but i just came to the conclusion that raw is just made for social media. the structure and the production of everything is just made to post on socials and get clicks and views. the promos and commentary and matches all play into it.

hopefully with Mercedes Mone debuting next week more eyes will be on aew.

I like the new bucks gimmick, they way better as heels than cheesy faces, but would still rather see most teams on the roster as champs than them.

For those who have Netflix. Wrestlemania 40 will be on Netflix in NZ.
wrestlemania-40-is-airing-on-netflix-in-new-zealand-v0-qmq856r05dsc1.png

Rock the movie star still doing WWE???? 😳
He's a board of director for WWE's new parent/merger company TKO - which in itself is owned by Silver Lake.. possibly the same Silver Lake that was going to partner with New Zealand Rugby.

Think they were originally building to a Rock vs Roman Reigns match.

If you dont know who Roman Reigns is... I highly suggest watching The Bloodline complete story and then The reign of the bloodline on youtube. One of the best and longest story lines of all time, and the Rock joining has capped it off. Hearing him call the crowd crackheads and inbreds is attitude era reminiscent

Acknowledge your tribal chief. I'm not ready for his title reign to end haha

Loved watching in the late 80s early 90s as a kid. Not interested since.
But I’m totally into the shoot interviews on YouTube.
Honky Tonk Man goes in hard on everyone.
Iron Sheik died recently he had some classic times on Howard Stern etc
Some wrestlers have some funny and also interesting in sights that happened back in the day.

For those who have Netflix. Wrestlemania 40 will be on Netflix in NZ.
Thanks for posting that. I likely wouldn't have noticed otherwise as I probably won't be putting Netflix on over the weekend due to the league being on.

My boys are now into wrestling. The 8 year old has been asking for a while when the Roman Reigns vs Cody and other matches are on.

I was thinking of signing up to the WWE for them to watch it. Well night 1. The second they will be at school.

Some of their storytelling has been for a long time.

Rock vs Roman would have been good if they didn't have a main event and a storyline concluding. Having them aligned before the relationship falls apart builds to a match in future. Either the descention happens at WrestleMania or it starts.

The Rock turning heel has been refreshing. Instead of movie star turning up and playing ex pro wrestler. At least now he is in character.

Even the other title with Drew McIntyre carrying a lot of the build hasn't been too bad.

Bayley pointing out she learnt Japanese a month or so back was good storytelling.

When I saw this thread active I thought it was going to be about the CM Punk interview.

He outlined his side well. But he is probably more intelligent and more well-spoken than most pro wrestlers. Most when you see shoot interviews stretch things too much or it is known that didn't happen.

He might not be 100% in the right but he explained himself well.

Some of their storytelling has been for a long time.

Rock vs Roman would have been good if they didn't have a main event and a storyline concluding. Having them aligned before the relationship falls apart builds to a match in future. Either the descention happens at WrestleMania or it starts.

The Rock turning heel has been refreshing. Instead of movie star turning up and playing ex pro wrestler. At least now he is in character.

Even the other title with Drew McIntyre carrying a lot of the build hasn't been too bad.

Bayley pointing out she learnt Japanese a month or so back was good storytelling.
Yeah, not often you get long term story telling. Even with what happens at Mania, the stories don't completely end.

Drew to win imo, Clash at the Castle is in Glasgow. have a feeling, if fit that could be Mcintyre v CM Punk, possibly Mcintyre v CM Punk v Seth Rollins.

Bray Wyatt Becoming Immortal documentary released on Tuesday, that's a bloody good watch, narrated by The Undertaker, a real insight to who he was and what he was trying to do. You need to watch all the way to the end, post credits - there's a tease for something coming - Taylor Rotunda and it's done in a typical Bray Wyatt fashion, gives you the chills

Has anyone been watching Dark Side of the Ring season 5?

It is scraping the barrel a bit as this season has seemed more like autobiographies.

The John Tenta (Earthquake) episode was interesting with old footage from Japan when he did sumo. Wasn't really dark besides dying young from cancer.

I am still to watch the Buff Bagwell episode. That one sounds out there.

The Terry Gordy one was good as I've been watching a bit of WCCW. Amazing how he died so young. That isn't unusual for wrestlers of that era. It is more as he was around for so long due to starting young. He also was more drugs and pain pills instead of PEDs. The dark part was more him nearly dying and not being the same after a coma.

The Brutus Beefcake episode was alright. The dark side part would mainly be about his parasailing incident that destroyed his face. Funny remembering the news story about his cocaine causing an anthrax scare. One take away from the episode was a lot of those guys know not to piss off Hogan. Also Brutus doesn't look too healthy, overweight and has a lean to him.

I watched the Harley Race episode yesterday. That was interesting as he is a guy with a lot of stories about him.

Has anyone been watching Dark Side of the Ring season 5?

It is scraping the barrel a bit as this season has seemed more like autobiographies.

The John Tenta (Earthquake) episode was interesting with old footage from Japan when he did sumo. Wasn't really dark besides dying young from cancer.

I am still to watch the Buff Bagwell episode. That one sounds out there.

The Terry Gordy one was good as I've been watching a bit of WCCW. Amazing how he died so young. That isn't unusual for wrestlers of that era. It is more as he was around for so long due to starting young. He also was more drugs and pain pills instead of PEDs. The dark part was more him nearly dying and not being the same after a coma.

The Brutus Beefcake episode was alright. The dark side part would mainly be about his parasailing incident that destroyed his face. Funny remembering the news story about his cocaine causing an anthrax scare. One take away from the episode was a lot of those guys know not to piss off Hogan. Also Brutus doesn't look too healthy, overweight and has a lean to him.

I watched the Harley Race episode yesterday. That was interesting as he is a guy with a lot of stories about him.
Does it need to be illegally downloaded? I've loved that show but its hard to track down

Back